Driver Fitting Cost

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Driver Fitting Cost

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
    Good article but as Tour IQ mentionned it should have done with graphite shafts. There is very little wobble if any in most steel shafts

Exactly

Agreed. Iron Byron testing would be best. I read somewhere that SST had purchased an IRON Byron for testing. Fact remains though. I would not play with an unbalanced golf ball nor with a club that behaves like this:

Agree re: Iron Byron. Human testing doesn't make sense, unless n = a large number.

Reading on this thread and at http://tutelman.com/golf/index.php and after watching your video and ones like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrGk45slao, it strikes me that FLOing is the way to go and that this is a very inexpensive way to do it (PDF): http://www.golfmechanix.com/prod_detail.asp?p=030405.

Taking it further, your video demonstrates things so vividly that I don't even think a laser is required. One could just use a slotted plane made out of foam that one would want to see the shaft oscillate within.
    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post
      Agree re: Iron Byron. Human testing doesn't make sense, unless n = a large number.

Reading on this thread and at http://tutelman.com/golf/index.php and after watching your video and ones like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vrGk45slao, it strikes me that FLOing is the way to go and that this is a very inexpensive way to do it (PDF): http://www.golfmechanix.com/prod_detail.asp?p=030405.

Taking it further, your video demonstrates things so vividly that I don't even think a laser is required. One could just use a slotted plane made out of foam that one would want to see the shaft oscillate within.
      yes, FLO is the way.
      FLO is easily tested on site on any wood you are considering purchasing.

with both hands hold down only the grip and let the rest of the club hang over the edge of a table, with the clubface parallel to the ceiling.
      Raise the front of the grip off the table and lightly slam it down to start the shaft oscillation.

I suggest you try this on all the woods you have at home to see where you stand now.
      things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
        yes, FLO is the way.
        FLO is easily tested on site on any wood you are considering purchasing.

with both hands hold down only the grip and let the rest of the club hang over the edge of a table, with the clubface parallel to the ceiling.
        Raise the front of the grip off the table and lightly slam it down to start the shaft oscillation.

I suggest you try this on all the woods you have at home to see where you stand now.
        Thanks, I will try. I'll also see if I can clamp ~ 6" into a Workmate (and hold the Workmate down) and see if that works.
        WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

Originally posted by ManFromMoffat View Post

Taking it further, your video demonstrates things so vividly that I don't even think a laser is required..
          You're right. They all are nice little toys but not necessary. You can use the actual club. If you feel the need to use a laser pointer you can get one from the dollar store and just use it with scotch tape or a rubber band and attach it to the back of the hosel. Only problem imho with the FLO method is that it does not give you the hard and soft planes. There 2 FLO planes 90* from each other. Unless you have a way to measure both FLOs you will not know how to align the softest plane(NBP) to the target(preferred method)

Comment

Laser Holder for FLO:
            Glue (epoxy) 2 wooden cloths pins together back to back and up and down (opposing).
            One end on the tip of the shaft, one end to hold the laser - now set to find FLO.
            Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
            Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
            Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
              You're right. They all are nice little toys but not necessary. You can use the actual club. If you feel the need to use a laser pointer you can get one from the dollar store and just use it with scotch tape or a rubber band and attach it to the back of the hosel. Only problem imho with the FLO method is that it does not give you the hard and soft planes. There 2 FLO planes 90* from each other. Unless you have a way to measure both FLOs you will not know how to align the softest plane(NBP) to the target(preferred method)
              Yes, this is the advantage of having a frequency machine. I too do use FLO as my final alignment. I know there is a lack of, or limited amount of proof positive that this does help, but it just seems to me to be so logical that avoiding it (not performing FLO) - for the little time it takes - would be a bad judgement.

When you freq and FLO as many shafts as I do, you see an awful lot of strange and undesirable oscillations - with very random patterns. As a set this randomness has to play into producing less on center hits.
              Regards
              Dan

True Length Technology TM
              Awarded 'Best New Fitting Idea - 2007 AGCP'
              True Frequency Technology TM
              - Developer / Owner

Maltby Clubmaking Academy
              - Master
              Golf Clubmakers Association (GCA)
              - Advanced / Professional
              Professional Clubmakers Society (PCS)
              - Class 'A'