/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Gained 15 yards with old clubs since clubfitting, now I'm ready to buy.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gained 15 yards with old clubs since clubfitting, now I'm ready to buy.

I took advantage of Club Champion Orlando's half-price full bag fitting in January. I decided not to buy from them as their custom build procedure comes with a hefty price tag, and I didn't think my game called for it. I recently made a swing change that increased distance with my ten year-old standard length Callaway X-Tour 6 iron from 165/170 to 180/185. I don't believe there's been any change in tempo, I'm just doing a better job of using my legs. My recommended iron shaft was Nippon's modus3 tour 120 in stiff at 1/2" long (I'm 6'3" and they'd also be 1 degree upright). I am very happy with that recommendation, and am hoping to avoid doing another fitting as I am now ready to make a purchase.

Any thoughts about the effect of an additional 15 yards on a shaft? Could hard-stepping the shaft be the solution (Srixon appears to do all custom work at no charge)? I plan to make the purchase at GT, is anyone familiar with how well they can fit Srixon irons (I'm left-handed, if that matters these days)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Re: Gained 15 yards with old clubs since clubfitting, now I'm ready to buy.

Originally posted by BigBry View Post
    Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers!
    Could the 10 to 15 yard gain be a result of iron loft creep, considering new vs. older iron set?
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

The yardages are all with the old club. When I was hitting my old six iron 165/170 during the fitting, I was hitting a new Srixon 565 six iron 15 yards further.

I'm expecting that I will now hit the Srixon six iron 195/200 yards (assuming I get the right fit).

Comment

I'd talk to the guys at TXG and get there opinion and do the purchase through them. They'd take good care of you! =)
        Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

I read the TXG thread before starting this one--they sound great! I may have been kidding myself that there's a quick fix, and should just start over again.

Comment

I read the TXG thread before starting this one--they sound great! I may have been kidding myself that there's a quick fix, and should just start over again.
            I am going to throw my hat in the ring here. I don't know where you're located, but if you can make the trip to Hamilton I'd love to do the fitting for you. I am one of the fitting leads at Golf Town in Hamilton. If you can make the trek, I'd love to fit you. I've re-fit several people who got fit at TXG and Modern Golf and they've walked away with better numbers. Some of whom were less than impressed by their previous fitting experiences, they told me. Just today I beat out someone, that by my eBay math, owned a $1200 Epic driver. I got him 5mph more swing speed over his own, cut his spin rate by 700 RPM, and he was hitting it just as straight. He got 10 more yards of carry and close to 17 more yards on average. My club was a stock recommendation and saved him close to $600 if he would have just come to me in the first place. Yes, he did hit them both side by side for comparison. He ended up buying a second Epic off of me.

He liked it so much that he is coming back to have me re-fit him for his PXG irons he got at Modern Golf or TXG (I forget which) because he can't hit them and has had them reshafted several times.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post
              . He ended up buying a second Epic off of me.

He liked it so much that he is coming back to have me re-fit him for his PXG irons he got at Modern Golf or TXG (I forget which) because he can't hit them and has had them reshafted several times.

Chris

Some people have serious dough

Comment

I am going to throw my hat in the ring here. I don't know where you're located, but if you can make the trip to Hamilton I'd love to do the fitting for you. I am one of the fitting leads at Golf Town in Hamilton. If you can make the trek, I'd love to fit you.

Chris
                I'm quite a bit north of you, unfortunately, but I appreciate the invitation. I've been dying to play Heron Point... so maybe that can be my excuse to make the trip!

In case I can't make it to Hamilton soon, is there a fitter at the Barrie location you can recommend?

Comment

I'm quite a bit north of you, unfortunately, but I appreciate the invitation. I've been dying to play Heron Point... so maybe that can be my excuse to make the trip!

In case I can't make it to Hamilton soon, is there a fitter at the Barrie location you can recommend?
                  I don't know any of the guys up at the Barrie location, sorry. Don't get me wrong, TXG and Modern Golf are great places to get fit. Honestly, there isn't really any comparison in the amount of selection of exotic shafts in comparison to any other place to buy. However, just make sure you exhaust all of your shaft options that are free, before you go into the exotic upgrades. So in my story, the guy had a very high end shaft, that has a free option in the Epic. It's not exactly the same model, but we are talking 3 grams heavier in the free versus the upgrade. I also realize as a fitter that people do swing differently on different days....but for me to go to a dead stock option just to see what I needed to do in order to optimize him, and he comes out optimized on my first try without even doing anything tells me they just threw him into this setup because it worked halfway okay and they saw a guy that was willing to pay for anything that worked. To me, that's not good business practice.

In sum, if you go to TXG, talk to and get fit by Ian. He's a stand up guy, I like him a lot. But try and really make sure you exhaust all of the "free upgrades", which in Srixon is basically any shaft you can imagine (except for graphite). But if they don't work, they don't work. I'm a big fan of trying to save people money, and if I can find a stock option that's going to work as close as possible to an optimized upgrade, I'll try and get them to consider the stock option first. The same goes for MG. I don't know anyone there anymore, but there are a lot of guys on here that supposedly frequent that place, so I'm sure they could chime in with a better idea of who knows their stuff.

Comment

I appreciate the help, Chris (and everyone)--thanks!

Comment

I appreciate the help, Chris (and everyone)--thanks!
                      Not in any way to step on Chris' shoes. But since you mentioned Barrie, i thought I would offer an alternative based on my experience.

I was recently fit in the Barrie GT location for Mizuno JPX900 forged irons and if you ask for Jordan or Corey you will not be displeased with the results. Quality guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Tintin View Post
                        Some people have serious dough
                        I imagine thats the reason a lot of guys buy them. Who gets clubs re shafted "several" times? Perhaps some lessons might help a situation like that. My humble opinion.

Comment

You made a major swing change that could vastly change the shaft you require.
                          I would get fit again.
                          Don't look for distance on those irons, look for consistency.

The 565s are 27 degrees for a 6 iron vs 30 degrees for the x-tour.

Comment

I don't know any of the guys up at the Barrie location, sorry. Don't get me wrong, TXG and Modern Golf are great places to get fit. Honestly, there isn't really any comparison in the amount of selection of exotic shafts in comparison to any other place to buy. However, just make sure you exhaust all of your shaft options that are free, before you go into the exotic upgrades. So in my story, the guy had a very high end shaft, that has a free option in the Epic. It's not exactly the same model, but we are talking 3 grams heavier in the free versus the upgrade. I also realize as a fitter that people do swing differently on different days....but for me to go to a dead stock option just to see what I needed to do in order to optimize him, and he comes out optimized on my first try without even doing anything tells me they just threw him into this setup because it worked halfway okay and they saw a guy that was willing to pay for anything that worked. To me, that's not good business practice.

In sum, if you go to TXG, talk to and get fit by Ian. He's a stand up guy, I like him a lot. But try and really make sure you exhaust all of the "free upgrades", which in Srixon is basically any shaft you can imagine (except for graphite). But if they don't work, they don't work. I'm a big fan of trying to save people money, and if I can find a stock option that's going to work as close as possible to an optimized upgrade, I'll try and get them to consider the stock option first. The same goes for MG. I don't know anyone there anymore, but there are a lot of guys on here that supposedly frequent that place, so I'm sure they could chime in with a better idea of who knows their stuff.
                            Do you know for a fact that's what happened at MG? Did your customer tell you this? Or are you assuming that because of the shaft he showed up with was similar but not one of the free upgrades that he performed better with on that day with you?

I only ask this because I've been to MG multiple times and the walls between fitting bays aren't exactly sound proof. I've heard both fitters (john and justin) do a fantastic job of exhausting all the free upgrade option on driver and irons.

Unfortunately, this might open the whole can of worms known as "is trackman or GC2 better for fitting" he performed better at GT with what you saw on GC2. At MG using trackman they might have seen completely different things. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just find the comment about them immediately going to exotic upgrade shafts a bit puzzling. But then again, I don't know the customer so I don't know everything that happened.

Comment

I am going to throw my hat in the ring here. I don't know where you're located, but if you can make the trip to Hamilton I'd love to do the fitting for you. I am one of the fitting leads at Golf Town in Hamilton. If you can make the trek, I'd love to fit you. I've re-fit several people who got fit at TXG and Modern Golf and they've walked away with better numbers. Some of whom were less than impressed by their previous fitting experiences, they told me. Just today I beat out someone, that by my eBay math, owned a $1200 Epic driver. I got him 5mph more swing speed over his own, cut his spin rate by 700 RPM, and he was hitting it just as straight. He got 10 more yards of carry and close to 17 more yards on average. My club was a stock recommendation and saved him close to $600 if he would have just come to me in the first place. Yes, he did hit them both side by side for comparison. He ended up buying a second Epic off of me.

Chris
                              Since new leaf flies out of hamilton i think the solution to my fitting dilemma is just to fly you here and get fit in halifax LOL.

Considering txg isnt interested i guess i should stick with gt.
                              PING CAMO BAG...
                              WEAPONS...
                              SRIXON ZX5 10.5
                              3W TM M2
                              HYB 19 deg Callaway Epic
                              5-aw Callaway Epic Forged

SW TM Milled Grind 56
                              LW TM MILLED GRIND 60

PUTTER Rotation TM Spider Tour, Scotty np2 ,
                              3 ball Fang, RIFE TOUR

Comment

Collapse