Collapse

Driver Fitter Question (TXG/MG etc)

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver Fitter Question (TXG/MG etc)

Obviously tons of places do driver fittings. Oems do their own fitting.

My question is do these places also fit for length and have various lengths in the shafts to try?

I know golftown does not which is why I can't even consider them.

I've always played my drivers at 44.5" or so. Well I just snapped the tip on my rogue black that was playing at 44.5" I had enough to tip it to save it. It plays at 43.5" installed. Was a bit long for a 3w so I said whatever I'll try it on the driver. Holy crap batman. After throwing some leadtape to bring up SW this thing is a fairway finding bomber. I have no data for distance or LM numbers however I know 2 things are certain

1) I am making way way more centre contact (confirmed via foot spray and hitting 10/11 fairways with my driver last round)

2) I assume I picked up speed as it looks like it's carrying further andgoing higher. I had to loft down and move the weight all the way forward on my F6+

So my question is do places like TXG, MG or the individual OEM centres or facilities have varying length of shafts or tipped/untipped to test in their fittings?

Choking down half an inch is ok. Anymore feels funny for me on a driver and the SW is way too off

Re: Driver Fitter Question (TXG/MG etc)

since length is a primary/key fitting parameter I would be shocked that any reputable fitting center does not have different length shafts. Especially so since its common knowledge that driver lengths at 45 inches plus are not the best option for many.

your experience with the shorter driver is not unique and why some of us have been suggesting it here for years now.

i think part of the problem is the obsession with distance and people are told that longer shafts mean longer distance. Sure, on a perfect strike a 45.5 inch driver might eek out a few more yards than a 43.5 inch driver but unless the golfer is a great ball striker , the percentage of good strikes is going to be far less with the longer driver. End result is what you found personally, more consistent center contact and more consistent drives and often longer average.

it took many , many years for putters to be made at shorter lengths than the arbitrary 35 inches they were made at. the obsession with length over accuracy means its taking longer for drivers to make this shift. Custom fitters are on board, OEM's are usually a bit behind in these matters. IMO there is no convincing performance reason that drivers should be 45-46 inches long and that this length is the best for the average golfer. even some PGA pros are using sub 45 inch drivers now
    Last edited by Weirfan; May 10, 2017, 12:20 PM.
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

TXG has different length iron shafts so I wouldn't be surprised if the did the same for woods.

Comment

Yah everything you guys said I'd assume. Also the obvious is to just ask them. But I'm curious to hear from people who've been there?

I'm sure they have 44.5-45" options but what about the 43.5-44" range

Comment

Jason, can I ask how tall you are?

Comment

5'8-5'9 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
              It plays at 43.5" installed. Was a bit long for a 3w so I said whatever I'll try it on the driver. Holy crap batman. After throwing some leadtape to bring up SW this thing is a fairway finding bomber. I have no data for distance or LM numbers however I know 2 things are certain

So my question is do places like TXG, MG or the individual OEM centres or facilities have varying length of shafts or tipped/untipped to test in their fittings?
              Off topic. If your wedges are at 36.10 under TLT then the max length for your driver should be maximum 44.40 including grip cap and minimum 43.70. So without knowing it you hit the driver length for your TLT series

OTOH maybe some day we'll see something like this

Comment

It's funny my driver was the only club I didn't TLT. Partially because dan looked at it. Measured the lie around 58 or 58.5* and saw length at 44.5 and said that's good. If I wanted he said u could go a bit shorter.

At the time I was a terrible driver of the ball so I didn't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                  Yah everything you guys said I'd assume. Also the obvious is to just ask them. But I'm curious to hear from people who've been there?

I'm sure they have 44.5-45" options but what about the 43.5-44" range
                  I know 100% that MG has shorter shafts as i was fitted at 43.5". I am just not sure if they have a 43.5 in inventory. Long story short 1 of the staff had the same driver and shaft they were fitting me for so they put his shaft into my driver head and settings.

I did FW/Hybrid fitting at TXG and I can confirm they also have shorter shafts in those.
                  In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                  Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                  Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                  Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                  Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                  Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                  Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                  --------
                  Home Course - Clublink

Comment

Dan fit me for a driver at 43". I've since added 1/2 inch to its total length.

What fans fitting taught me was...I hit the ball far better and straighter with a shorter shaft. The TLT specs helped me so much.

To answer your question about fitting at shorter lengths...answer is really no. Your best bet is to ask for lead or tungsten pads put on the demo head and choke up. After chopping an inch or more...the tipping will likely be off...but it's the length that is more important that the tipping in an initial fitting
                    Titleist 915 D2
                    Titleist 915 F
                    Wishon 929 F
                    Wishon 775 Hybrid
                    PING i5 Irons
                    PING Tour S Rustique 52*
                    PING Anser 56*
                    PING Glide ES 60*
                    MannKrafted Rattler XL
                    MannKrafted Midwave
                    SGC 902 Custom

Comment

Over the years I have had 2 driver fittings at MG, an iron fitting at MG, a wood fitting at TXG and a iron fitting at TXG. In not a single fitting did anyone give me shafts of different lengths to hit. Could have been I was hitting it fine as it was. I can't remember asking about it or talking about it.

Comment

At 43.5" they'll just fit you into a fw shaft...which makes more sense anyway.

Comment

I took a buddy for an iron fitting at txg a few weeks back and They had him hitting 2 different lengths iron shafts during the fitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Element View Post
                            At 43.5" they'll just fit you into a fw shaft...which makes more sense anyway.
                            Agreed. At 43.5" and tipped an inch that's just a long 3 wood shaft, effectively. I've sold drivers with shorter shafts a lot this year. Makes more sense for a lot of people.

Comment

Well the salvage job lasted only 3 rounds then it blew up at the tip.

What I learned is that I like a shaft around 43.75-44" now.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                              X