Collapse

Optimal Wedges Shaft Length ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimal Wedges Shaft Length ?

Standard Wedges: Too short for FULL SWINGS, fine for CHIPPING.
    SL Wedges: Fine for FULL SWINGS, too LONG for CHIPPING.
    So maybe, as Andy (ARL67ā€‹) suggested on numerous occasions, his solution that he builds his own Wedges, is somewhere in the middle of those two extremes ???
    Andy and others, any thoughts

I have always encouraged making the wedges the same length as the 9i . This works quite well for most people. Also need have the lie angle the same.

I believe Harry( Tour IQ ) is also a proponent of this
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

I'm up to bit longer in wedges now at 35.25" ungripped. I started down the SL wedge road with TLT-Dan and have never looked back. One needs to bore out the hosels on GW,SW,LW in order to get the swing-weight down, but they will still be heavier, which I have no problem with. Or one can port ( drill holes ) in the backsides as well.

My main set now are Edel SMS Pro irons 5-PW with Edel GW & LW. As these have 3 weights ports on the back, I have some weight ports empty.

Optimal is what works for each of us, no right or wrong, whatever gives you the best results. As I like to say "I never argue with success".
      šŸ 2023 WITB šŸā€‹
      Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
      Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
      Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60Sā€‹
      Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
      Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
      Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
      ā€‹
      Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock gripā€‹
      Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Hi Andy, would be very curious to hear your comment on the following: bore the hosel, but do it all the way untill the complete drill comes thru the bottom. Then install the shaft protruding somewhat on the bottom and then cut and sand the shaft on the bottom, resulting in something like Callaway used to do in their S2H2 irons, long time ago ???
        Cheers !
        Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
        I'm up to bit longer in wedges now at 35.25" ungripped. I started down the SL wedge road with TLT-Dan and have never looked back. One needs to bore out the hosels on GW,SW,LW in order to get the swing-weight down, but they will still be heavier, which I have no problem with. Or one can port ( drill holes ) in the backsides as well.

My main set now are Edel SMS Pro irons 5-PW with Edel GW & LW. As these have 3 weights ports on the back, I have some weight ports empty.

Optimal is what works for each of us, no right or wrong, whatever gives you the best results. As I like to say "I never argue with success".

Comment

Iā€™m a Pelz proponent, progressively shorter and softer flex in the wedges.

Like ARL said, whatever works for you, probably good to do a gapping session.
          Ping G410 Plus
          Ping G410 3W
          Ping G400 7W or 3H
          Ping G400 4H
          Ping G400 5 - UW
          Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
          Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
          Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
          Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

VO I donā€™t think thatā€™s feasible the way the bottom of the hosel blends into the sole as there is quite a bit of curvature there, so structural integrity could/would be compromised. Itā€™s not like drilling a hole in piece of 2x4 where the protruding shaft exits in a circular ( drilled perpendicular ) or oval/elliptical profile ( drilled on a slant ). In short, nothing to be gained by doing that vs porting on the backside. Or just buy a Cobra SL wedge .
            Last edited by ARL67; Apr 18, 2024, 06:45 AM.
            šŸ 2023 WITB šŸā€‹
            Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
            Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
            Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60Sā€‹
            Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
            Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
            Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
            ā€‹
            Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock gripā€‹
            Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Thanks so much Andy. And yes to SL, i love it for full swings, from 6l all the way to LW. But me having problems chipping with them, so will try to chip with a regular SW, and use SL for everything else, but hate having 1 more club to carry, lol.
              Cheers

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
              VO I donā€™t think thatā€™s feasible the way the bottom of the hosel blends into the sole as there is quite a bit of curvature there, so structural integrity could/would be compromised. Itā€™s not like drilling a hole in piece of 2x4 where the protruding shaft exits in a circular ( drilled perpendicular ) or oval/elliptical profile ( drilled on a slant ). In short, nothing to be gained by doing that vs porting on the backside. Or just by a Cobra SL wedge .

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                I have always encouraged making the wedges the same length as the 9i . This works quite well for most people. Also need have the lie angle the same. I believe Harry( Tour IQ ) is also a proponent of this
                As Peter has stated, identical length to the 9-iron is optimal, since not too long and not too short. I also recommend the following loft setup:
                • PW = 45.5* loft
                • Gap = 50.0* loft
                • Sand = 54.5* loft
                • Lob = 59.0* loft
                My 1st year building, I had decided on same length as the 9-iron and I contacted Tom Wishon and asked him descending length or same length as the 9-iron. His response was "same length as the 9-iron".

Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
                Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
                Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Like ARL said, whatever works for you, probably good to do a gapping session.
                  Except some Lob Wedges get so short as a stock club its like playing a Junior set. Get the ball in a bunker or on a downhill lie, the club is way to short to effectively reach the ball, so crunched over in a non-athletic position, and you shift weight forward onto your toes to better reach the ball ... a great Px to skull the shot, but hey you followed Pelz, so congratulations on taking a double bogie.

Duane already proved one of Pelz theorems incorrect while in high school, so take Pelz advice with a grain of salt. If you hit full shots with a wedge, then you do not want softer flex, otherwise the club won't hit the ball at the target. If you don't have the game to hit full wedge shots, then it really doesn't matter.

Comment

I play my wedges at 36" like most have said and I built mine with a "wedge" grip. These grips have a reduced taper and are generally about 1 inch longer than a regular iron grip. This makes them easier to use for chipping. Not saying this would work for all, but it meets my needs. Lamkin Performance Plus 3GEN is discontinued, but is an example of one. I think Ping makes one, not sure what is available at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by TORAIDER View Post
                      I play my wedges at 36" like most have said and I built mine with a "wedge" grip. These grips have a reduced taper and are generally about 1 inch longer than a regular iron grip. This makes them easier to use for chipping. Not saying this would work for all, but it meets my needs. Lamkin Performance Plus 3GEN is discontinued, but is an example of one. I think Ping makes one, not sure what is available at the moment.
                      Reduced taper grips are great for wedges. ( all clubs really )
                      they promote lighter grip pressure with the dominant hand resulting in more control.

I like to use midsize grips on my wedges that i build up the lower 1/2 half to have less/no taper.

MCC plus 4 is another reduced taper grip

Reverse taper grips are also very effective and worth a try. I see that Golf Pride has jumped on this bandwagon recently with a new putter grip.

I also promote using a flex stiffer shaft in my wedges again for added control. I dont want high, overly spinny wedge shots but them to penetrating , and accurate. Reducing spin leads to added control as we often see pros trying to take off spin
                      Last edited by Weirfan; Apr 18, 2024, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                        Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                        I also promote using a flex stiffer shaft in my wedges again for added control. I dont want high, overly spinny wedge shots but them to penetrating , and accurate. Reducing spin leads to added control as we often see pros trying to take off spin
                        I think you nailed the logic Peter, even when it goes against the bible according to D. Pelz.

Sw and Lw heads can be up to 20 grams heavier than the 9-iron, and all clubs made to the identical length.

What you do makes more sense, since Sw and Lw heads are very heavy compared to the other heads, going 1 flex stiffer combined with the heavier head ... brings the frequency (flex) in line with the iron set.

Also stiffer shafts promotes less toe droop at impact, which is favorable for accuracy.

Going 1 flex softer as has been suggested, would be proceeding in the wrong direction.
                        ā€‹

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                          Except some Lob Wedges get so short as a stock club its like playing a Junior set. Get the ball in a bunker or on a downhill lie, the club is way to short to effectively reach the ball, so crunched over in a non-athletic position, and you shift weight forward onto your toes to better reach the ball ... a great Px to skull the shot, but hey you followed Pelz, so congratulations on taking a double bogie.

Duane already proved one of Pelz theorems incorrect while in high school, so take Pelz advice with a grain of salt. If you hit full shots with a wedge, then you do not want softer flex, otherwise the club won't hit the ball at the target. If you don't have the game to hit full wedge shots, then it really doesn't matter.

Sorry I will trust Pelz over one of your awesome Duane anecdotes.
                          I have a very good short game by the way.
                          Ping G410 Plus
                          Ping G410 3W
                          Ping G400 7W or 3H
                          Ping G400 4H
                          Ping G400 5 - UW
                          Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                          Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

^^^^

there is no one size fits all but there can and are ways to improve accuracy and consistency so a little experimentation to find out what works for you can be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post

I think you nailed the logic Peter, even when it goes against the bible according to D. Pelz.

Sw and Lw heads can be up to 20 grams heavier than the 9-iron, and all clubs made to the identical length.

What you do makes more sense, since Sw and Lw heads are very heavy compared to the other heads, going 1 flex stiffer combined with the heavier head ... brings the frequency (flex) in line with the iron set.

Also stiffer shafts promotes less toe droop at impact, which is favorable for accuracy.

Going 1 flex softer as has been suggested, would be proceeding in the wrong direction.
                              ā€‹
                              Maybe different things work for different people, a competent fitter would know that.
                              Ping G410 Plus
                              Ping G410 3W
                              Ping G400 7W or 3H
                              Ping G400 4H
                              Ping G400 5 - UW
                              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X