No announcement yet.
Collapse

Optimal Wedges Shaft Length ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe i wasn't specific enough in my OP, but my main concern is that when doing delicate chips around the green, the SL SW is way too long shaft.
    My main and only goal this evening is to take only 2 clubs (regular and SL SWs) and try to come to some conclusion/resolution to this problem.
    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
      Maybe i wasn't specific enough in my OP, but my main concern is that when doing delicate chips around the green, the SL SW is way too long shaft.
      My main and only goal this evening is to take only 2 clubs (regular and SL SWs) and try to come to some conclusion/resolution to this problem.
      Cheers

As Andy said, SL wedges are longer and that might not work for everyone.

The Longer grips that Al suggested might be a solution for you.

for Chipping, ( your typical bump and run etc) I typically stand much more vertical and closer to the ball and have the heel off the ground as such I grip down quite a bit. Too long a wedge would make this a challenge for sure.

for pitching, not a concern
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

As Andy said, SL wedges are longer and that might not work for everyone.

The Longer grips that Al suggested might be a solution for you.

for Chipping, ( your typical bump and run etc) I typically stand much more vertical and closer to the ball and have the heel off the ground as such I grip down quite a bit. Too long a wedge would make this a challenge for sure.

for pitching, not a concern
        EXACTLY !
        Could've easily challenged my age 2 days ago if i hadn't "CHUNKED" at least 4 chips around the greens
        An ABSOLUTE must to fix that !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

Sorry I will trust Pelz over one of your awesome Duane anecdotes.
          I have a very good short game by the way.
          Awesome you have the game you want so enjoy.

Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
          Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
          Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Standard Wedges: Too short for FULL SWINGS, fine for CHIPPING.
            SL Wedges: Fine for FULL SWINGS, too LONG for CHIPPING.
            I assume you're only talking about yourself and not the general golf population.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with SL irons...every golfer has their own unique golf preferences.

But IMO.....I'm not bought into SL to help reduce scores....if they were so great, why is there not more SL adoption?
            I think most golfers would agree SL isn't the answer, especially competitive touring pros.

I believe Bryson is the only touring pro using SL irons.
            Can others name other touring pros from the PGA, LIV, DP Tour and LPGA using SL irons?

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post

Duane already proved one of Pelz theorems incorrect while in high school, so take Pelz advice with a grain of salt. If you hit full shots with a wedge, then you do not want softer flex, otherwise the club won't hit the ball at the target. If you don't have the game to hit full wedge shots, then it really doesn't matter.

Just because Duane does not agree with Pelz's opinions & teaching doesn't mean the golf advice from Pelz is wrong.

Some golfers agree with Pelz's method, some not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                Just because Duane does not agree with Pelz's opinions & teaching doesn't mean the golf advice from Pelz is wrong.

NASA scientist that studied the game for years = high schooler.

Also liked the “ If you don't have the game to hit full wedge shots, then it really doesn't matter​.” comment.

Ernie Els once said he never hit a shot harder than 80%.
                But unless you can go full send on a sand wedge, you don’t have game.
                Ping G410 Plus
                Ping G410 3W
                Ping G400 7W or 3H
                Ping G400 4H
                Ping G400 5 - UW
                Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Also liked the “ If you don't have the game to hit full wedge shots, then it really doesn't matter​.” comment.
                    LOL
                    Ya...that comment was comic genius too, but for some reason I didn't comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                      I bought Pelz landmark bible and it is a wealth of knowledge.

The problem with golf guru's or any guru for that matter, is that they are not always 100% correct.
                      Pelz could be 95% bang on with all of his advice and he would be light years ahead of the hacks.

To quote Dr. W. E. Deming, "A single unexplained failure of a theory requires modification or abandonment of that theory".

Comment

I won't discredit our golf research we did for nearly a decade.

The "high schooler" you want to discredit presented some of his golf research using orthogonal arrays Design of Experiments (DOE) at the International Taguchi Symposium on advanced statistics while a Grade 9 student and he followed the SVP of Ford Motor Company, Corporate Quality Office for his 30-minute keynote address.

I do not recall a NASA scientist being on the short list of speakers at this prestigious event.

Comment

Cheers
                          OK, so I did exactly that last evening, and managed (in between puddles all over the course and plugged balls) to compare my SL SW and a regular SW.

So in conclusion, without a doubt, the refular SW is way too short, so will stick to my SL full set of irons (for now, LOL) ***BUT*** must remember to GRIP DOWN at least an inch for "chipping" around the green.

THANKS to all who contributed to this thread, i very much appreciated that.
                          CHeers
                          serge.

Comment

Wedges are personal and something one may have to tinker with to find what works best. For me right now my wedges are all the same length, I believe 9i length and that's just comfortable for me vs the progressively shorter that ones would do standard.

Now I was listening to the Ping Podcast yesterday and Marty Jertson who's extremely smart and knowledgeable plays his 60° shorter so he doesn't have to choke down and with a lighter shaft so the swing weight is lighter thus the ball doesn't come off as hot and more control for him.

It's crazy how in depth one can go into wedges and how they can be played but many overlook them.
                            Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
                            3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
                            3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
                            Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
                            Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
                            Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
                            TP5X 2024
                            Ghost Katana

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
                              I won't discredit our golf research we did for nearly a decade.

The "high schooler" you want to discredit presented some of his golf research using orthogonal arrays Design of Experiments (DOE) at the International Taguchi Symposium on advanced statistics while a Grade 9 student and he followed the SVP of Ford Motor Company, Corporate Quality Office for his 30-minute keynote address.

I do not recall a NASA scientist being on the short list of speakers at this prestigious event.

Why would a NASA scientist be at an event on advanced statistics?
                              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                              Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

Why would a NASA scientist be at an event on advanced statistics?
                                All I could find was this but I may have misspelled it.

Ping G410 Plus
                                Ping G410 3W
                                Ping G400 7W or 3H
                                Ping G400 4H
                                Ping G400 5 - UW
                                Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                                Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                                Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                                Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X