/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Can Plastic Shaft Extender be Used in Steel Shafts ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Plastic Shaft Extender be Used in Steel Shafts ?

As per title, will the plastic extender "hold the glue" in a steel shaft ?
    THANKS

Originally posted by veryold View Post
    As per title, will the plastic extender "hold the glue" in a steel shaft ?
    THANKS
    Not sure there are plastic extenders

I have extended tons of sets and clubs and there are either aluminum extensions, graphite extensions or nylon/carbon fibre extensions.

any can be used to extend steel shafts but I typically use the aluminum ones on steel and one of the others on graphite.

The key as always to a secure, fail safe bond is proper preparation. Both surfaces need to be clean of dirt, rust, oils etc and need to be abraded. Use a good epoxy. for extensions I use golf works shaft extension epoxy as it is not as hard/ brittle and so you wont get pieces of epoxy breaking off and rattling around in the shaft as can happen if you use regular shafting epoxy.

also, always set the club to cure with the grip end down which prevents any epoxy from running down the shaft as it is setting. The result are epoxy icicles which can easily break off and cause rattles.

Finally, not advised to go mor than 1.5-2 inches in clubs , you can go a bit longer with putters as there is less force used when playing tgem
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated. I used word "plastic" not really knowing what they are made of, LOL. They came from Aliexpress as well as their Epoxy. Extenders @ $1/piece and Epoxy @ $3.99
      Extenders have 2" extended capability, so will use all of it and maybe grip down an inch or so, a la Henderson, LOL.
      Cheers !
      Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Not sure there are plastic extenders

I have extended tons of sets and clubs and there are either aluminum extensions, graphite extensions or nylon/carbon fibre extensions.

any can be used to extend steel shafts but I typically use the aluminum ones on steel and one of the others on graphite.

The key as always to a secure, fail safe bond is proper preparation. Both surfaces need to be clean of dirt, rust, oils etc and need to be abraded. Use a good epoxy. for extensions I use golf works shaft extension epoxy as it is not as hard/ brittle and so you wont get pieces of epoxy breaking off and rattling around in the shaft as can happen if you use regular shafting epoxy.

also, always set the club to cure with the grip end down which prevents any epoxy from running down the shaft as it is setting. The result are epoxy icicles which can easily break off and cause rattles.

Finally, not advised to go mor than 1.5-2 inches in clubs , you can go a bit longer with putters as there is less force used when playing tgem

Comment

VO they may work. Just be careful. Id personally not risk that length. A cheap 2 inch ill fit extension sounds like a surefire recipe for impaling your hand if and when it fails.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
          VO they may work. Just be careful. Id personally not risk that length. A cheap 2 inch ill fit extension sounds like a surefire recipe for impaling your hand if and when it fails.
          Very much appreciated
          I'll do 1 iron only to "hone my (epoxy) skills" first, LOL and see how it goes. I'll leave all 2" as is and start gently swinging gripping down 1" and see how it goes.
          Again, thanks and cheers !
          serge.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
          X