Collapse

Irons distance gap

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irons distance gap

After a year of playing, I'm still not sure what the distances are with all my irons. Being new, my ball striking inconsistencies on a course doesn't help matters, especially with the long irons. Different balls are different in distances also so range sessions are kinda useless. Lots of variables it seems.

Would using a Trackman be accurate enough for this?
    This would eliminates all the weather factors, inconsistencies, etc.
    You can use the balls you play also for comparison.

Is 10 yrds the normal gap between each irons?

Re: Irons distance gap

I like going to a golf simulator(Inner Golf). Ensure you set the club to the one you are using and delete any mishits. 10 swings with each club should get you a pretty good average. Try to take a few swings with a club and then move on to the next and cycle through them. I know I swing slower after 80 hits. Use the exact same ball. This should give you a pretty good indication.

Comment

Originally posted by phanker View Post
      After a year of playing, I'm still not sure what the distances are with all my irons. Being new, my ball striking inconsistencies on a course doesn't help matters, especially with the long irons. Different balls are different in distances also so range sessions are kinda useless. Lots of variables it seems.

Don't wory about yardage gaps just yet. At this stage in your game your goal is to aim at your chosen target and make good contact.
      But do acquaint yourself with an average yardage a club can attain because it will tell you what consistency has in store for you down the road.

Comment

Having played the game "seriously" for 2 seasons now, I still struggle with this distance gap thing.

The clubs I have the hardest time predicting are driver, 5 hybrid, and 6 iron, SW. I just find these tough to predictably hit.

My best bets are 5 wood, 4 hybrid, 8i, 9i, W, GW.

Let's not even get started on the putter!

I am getting a Ping fitting done at the Oakville facility, and will see if there happens to be some lie/loft issues, but suspect that it is user error for the most part.

I find the range does not indicate my distance, it is only by playing that I have learned the distances for my clubs that I can predict.

5w - 200-220
        4H - 175-190
        8i - 130-140
        9i - 120-130
        W - 100-110
        GW - 80-95
        Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
        Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
        Nike 23 degree hybrid
        Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
        Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
        Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Originally posted by dekker View Post
          Don't wory about yardage gaps just yet. At this stage in your game your goal is to aim at your chosen target and make good contact.
          But do acquaint yourself with an average yardage a club can attain because it will tell you what consistency has in store for you down the road.

Totally agree with Dekker, you'll find out yourself on the long run what's the gap of your irons. Just try to hit them consistently and you'll be fine
          Cobra King F7
          Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
          Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
          Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
          Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
          Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

yes 10 yards should be the normal gap. pro can get very accurate in distance gap by 1 or 2 yards. For us, there is no need to do that. I would start with 7 iron distance as a gauge and figure out what typical yardage I want to develop into for other clubs by using 10 yard gap. you should be able to figure out what "theoretical" distance for each club in the bag. please also note we are talking the "carry" distance here. you have to adjust roll and course condition accordingly. low lofted clubs attend to roll out more.

But we tends to hit our short irons too hard and long and think we can can hit much longer in long irons. in reality, we are not going to hit consistently in our long irons to have a consistent gap. I often found that I don't have a consistent gap between 3 and 4 irons. So I typically only carry either 3 iron or 4 hybrid (hybrid goes a bit further) instead of both clubs. Recently there is article published on golf digest that most armatures do not have a consistent gap in long clubs and suggest to carry a 4 wood instead of 3 and 5 wood, and 4 hybrid instead of both 3h and 4h. but you can carry more wedges to cover the gaps we normally can handle properly within 100 yards.
            Taylormade R510 TP
            Ping i20 3w, 5w, 4h
            Ping i20 5-w
            Ping Tour Gorge 50/54/58ss
            Ping Specify Anser
            Pro-V1

Comment

I find a lot of my green misses are being too short/long.
              I thought I would have figured out by now after 20+ rounds but that's not the case.

Just trying to understand more about this and all the factors involved.

Just found this which looks interesting & surprising.

--------5 degrees-------20 degrees------35 degrees
              --------100% humidity---50% humidity---80% humidity
              Driver---244 yd----------250 yd---------262 yd
              5-iron---168 yd----------175 yd---------182 yd

Didn't think weather conditions could have such affects on distances (ignoring wind here).

Comment

I've noticed that golf simulators (those at GT anyway) aren't too accurate. I'm hoping a Trackman unit will be close enough.

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                I like going to a golf simulator(Inner Golf). Ensure you set the club to the one you are using and delete any mishits. 10 swings with each club should get you a pretty good average. Try to take a few swings with a club and then move on to the next and cycle through them. I know I swing slower after 80 hits. Use the exact same ball. This should give you a pretty good indication.

Comment

I've noticed that golf simulators (those at GT anyway) aren't too accurate. I'm hoping a Trackman unit will be close enough.
                  I find the GT simulators a little optimistic but certainly not way off base. At the end of the day they use the same radar technology. Innergolf has a few camera operated units that are more accurate since they incorporate spin into the calculation

Comment

I find a lot of my green misses are being too short/long.
                    I thought I would have figured out by now after 20+ rounds but that's not the case.

Just trying to understand more about this and all the factors involved.

Just found this which looks interesting & surprising.

--------5 degrees-------20 degrees------35 degrees
                    --------100% humidity---50% humidity---80% humidity
                    Driver---244 yd----------250 yd---------262 yd
                    5-iron---168 yd----------175 yd---------182 yd

Didn't think weather conditions could have such affects on distances (ignoring wind here).
                    it does and well documented. every 10 degree will cause roughly 5 yards because the density of air changes.

there are just too many variables and why pros also have trouble to figure it out. in my mind, high handicap should focus on 100 yards in. mid handicap can focus on 150 yards in. Only low handicap probably can control distance within 200 yard.

if you think you have consistent swing and distance gap does not make sense, you may want to check your club's spec. certain time, clubs are not built properly regarding loft gap, swing weight, shaft flex between clubs. a couple of year ago, I bought a used set from ebay and noticed there was a huge gap between 7 iron and 6 iron . Then I realized 6 iron had a different shaft which hits ball further for some reason.
                    Taylormade R510 TP
                    Ping i20 3w, 5w, 4h
                    Ping i20 5-w
                    Ping Specify Anser
                    Pro-V1

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                      I find the GT simulators a little optimistic but certainly not way off base. At the end of the day they use the same radar technology. Innergolf has a few camera operated units that are more accurate since they incorporate spin into the calculation
                      I think normally it is overly optimistic to promote sales of drivers! But the idea is to figure out your swing speed, launch angle, and spin rate of the driver to get the optimal distance for it. But for irons, you just need to figure out your 7 iron distance ( i assume everyone is most comfortable with it) then apply 10 yard gap between clubs. I don't see a reason we have to know if it is 148 yard or 152 yard. I just know my 7 iron is 150 yard club. then my 6 iron is 160 yard, 8 iron is 140, etc,etc. Then trying to develop your swing to match that distance gap.

Another thing I wanted to point out is that on simulator you can get warm up by hitting repetitively and hit a few pured shots and you immediately think you can hit that distance on regular basis. In real course play, you have to tune down a bit and use more club as you are normally not warmed up to a level be able to hit pured shot. Sometimes we just don't have time of spending a hour on the range before playing the course. Some public courses don't even have a range!
                      Taylormade R510 TP
                      Ping i20 3w, 5w, 4h
                      Ping i20 5-w
                      Ping Specify Anser
                      Pro-V1

Comment

If you're only a year into playing golf, your main concern has to be trying to hit the ball consistently (and straight). Just try to make solid contact - you will know when you've got it by the feel.

Once you have a decent level of consistency, you can work on more exact yardages. It takes a lot of practice to narrow down the yardages for each club. Until you get there, use your average MIS-hit yardage when selecting your club on the course. Most average golfers under-club by a significant amount. Give yourself a chance. If you do catch it just right, you'll go over the green, but you'll have a wonderful feeling in your hands!
                        Driver: Ping 10*
                        Wood: Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
                        Irons: Accuform PTM (3 - PW)
                        Hybrid: TaylorMade 3 (OUT - had enough, make me an offer)
                        Wedges: Cleveland 54* & 60*, TaylorMade 52*
                        Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Two "The Art of Putting"
                        Bag: Ogio Ultra light
                        Balls: Pro v1 / TaylorMade Red

Comment

Thanks for the insights Nuts.
                          Could be just on OCD thing but I'm pretty preoccupied on the course trying to pick the right club. After hitting a few wrong when you thought you hit it pretty clean, you kinda start doubting yourself on the next shot and which club to hit.
                          8i down to the wedges, I have a pretty good idea. I do realize that these club distances are affected quite a bit by the type of balls you play. So lesson here is I have to pick a ball I like and stick with it.

I'm thinking if I know the rough theoretical distances for each club, my mind would be a bit more at ease on the courses. I can better adjust depending on the conditions, my swing for the day, and what not.

I also do suspect the gaps between my 4i-8i TM Burners are more than 10 yds. Just want to confirm this and perhaps play as they are or shorten the shafts so they play the proper 10 yds gap. Think I will get my club's specs checked out with some sim sessions at a local fitter.

Comment

Just curious.
                            Off the tee, do you add extra yrds to an iron you play?

Comment

Thanks for the insights Nuts.
                              Could be just on OCD thing but I'm pretty preoccupied on the course trying to pick the right club. After hitting a few wrong when you thought you hit it pretty clean, you kinda start doubting yourself on the next shot and which club to hit.
                              8i down to the wedges, I have a pretty good idea. I do realize that these club distances are affected quite a bit by the type of balls you play. So lesson here is I have to pick a ball I like and stick with it.

I'm thinking if I know the rough theoretical distances for each club, my mind would be a bit more at ease on the courses. I can better adjust depending on the conditions, my swing for the day, and what not.

I also do suspect the gaps between my 4i-8i TM Burners are more than 10 yds. Just want to confirm this and perhaps play as they are or shorten the shafts so they play the proper 10 yds gap. Think I will get my club's specs checked out with some sim sessions at a local fitter.
                              Highlighted above is kind of the key to this game.. Knowing how far you hit a club (not how far you CAN hit it) and being able to repeat that distance - makes the game a lot easier. I CAN hit my 8 iron 170 - but I can repeat 145 way more consistently - so that's my number.

10 yard gaps is a nice round number to work with but rarely ever the reality. Depending on how strong someone is the gap could be 7-8 yards between clubs or 14-16 yards.
                              TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
                              TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
                              TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
                              Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
                              Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
                              100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard