Collapse

The Results are in!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Results are in!

FEBRUARY 2011 Golf Magazine reports the results of their independent club fitting study.

10 golfers

15.8 average handicap with old clubs

13.7 average handicap with new custom fitted clubs.
    JIM
    Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
    TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
    Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Re: The Results are in!

Did anybody NOT improve or did all 10 show some level of improvement?
    In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
    and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Hmmm well not trying to knock getting a fitted set vs off the shelf - but would you consider this a big improvement?

Not having tracked a handicap I would not know how much a swing of 2 strokes on average is - and other things going on in their games might account for a couple strokes as much as anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kona Golf View Post
        15.8 average handicap with old clubs.
        13.7 average handicap with new custom fitted clubs.
        If fitted correctly with the right components, I always knew a person could buy a better game
        The old saying, 'its not the Indian its the arrow' needs to be changed to, 'its the indian and the arrow'.
        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

I think everyone can agree proper fitting will improve everyone to a certain degree. You may not go from a 16 to a 2, but I would think most would see an increase in not only confidence but consistency as well. Just by hitting 2 more fairways in a round or putting them ping high on that par 3 could save you a few strokes in itself.
          Rip it and Sip it

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
            If fitted correctly with the right components, I always knew a person could buy a better game
            The old saying, 'its not the Indian its the arrow' needs to be changed to, 'its the indian and the arrow'.
            Well suited arrows leave all the blame squarely on the Indian.
            Everybody wants a slice of winner - dekker

Comment

How was the study done? Were the same clubs used before and after?

If they took the hcp before and then gave them new clubs, you could make the argument done that they got better simply by playing and improving. I'd like to see what happens if you give the old clubs back to them, now with lower hcps, and then see what the results are. They would theoretically get worse, though I'd doubt it.

I'm not saying that fitted clubs are bad, but I just kinda doubt that it's just a matter of fitting.
              Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
              TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
              TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
              Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
              TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
              Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
              Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
              LAB Mezz, Accra
              Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Originally posted by SW20 MR2 View Post
                How was the study done? Were the same clubs used before and after?

If they took the hcp before and then gave them new clubs, you could make the argument done that they got better simply by playing and improving. I'd like to see what happens if you give the old clubs back to them, now with lower hcps, and then see what the results are. They would theoretically get worse, though I'd doubt it.

I'm not saying that fitted clubs are bad, but I just kinda doubt that it's just a matter of fitting.
                Wouldn't that kind of go against the point of getting fitted for them? Many, many people play the wrong shafts in the wrong flexes. That alone is a cause for a few strokes IMO.
                Rip it and Sip it

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
                  Did anybody NOT improve or did all 10 show some level of improvement?
                  3 of the 10 were the same 2@14 one @15. Half of the players in the article were fit for drivers and 1/2 for irons 2 of the 3 that stayed the same were fit for driver.

One went from 12 to 9 and one 8 to 5 both are significant moves in the factor more so than a 20 to 16 .

They also cite a survey of 6000 golfers and 76% of new custom fit buyers compare to 61% of other buyers stated they had improved.

Bottom line it will still depend on the fitter.
                  Canada
                  Callaway Epic GBB Accra F 260 M3
                  Titleist TS2 16.5*
                  Taylormade Rescue 22*
                  4-PW Callaway Apex CF16 Accra 90i
                  52* Clevland RTX 4.0
                  56* Cleveland RTX 4.0
                  Scotty Circa 62 # 7 35”

Florida
                  Cobra F6
                  R7 15*
                  Nicket Ironwood 3 Hybrid 20*
                  Srixon Z565 4-G Project X LZ 5.5
                  Vokey 56* 60*
                  Pyramid 34 “

Comment

I had my irons frequencied, lofts and lies adjusted accordingly and I can say it has made a huge difference. There is no guessing as to where the iron is going to go as long as a decent swing is made.
                    Rip it and Sip it

Comment

Originally posted by storm View Post
                      I had my irons frequencied, lofts and lies adjusted accordingly and I can say it has made a huge difference. There is no guessing as to where the iron is going to go as long as a decent swing is made.
                      Funny, I havent done any of that stuff yet when I make a good swing there is no guessing where my irons will go.

Guess jack and arnie were really lucky or really good guessers.

Comment

Sorry, I meant same heads. If I was a 20 hcp and played with blades, you could "fit" me with an an off-the-rack set of shovels, and I'll likely see improvement.

I think the true test would be to have the people go back to their original equipment and see the results.

Originally posted by storm View Post
                        Wouldn't that kind of go against the point of getting fitted for them? Many, many people play the wrong shafts in the wrong flexes. That alone is a cause for a few strokes IMO.
                        Ping G425 Max 9*, Accra TZ6 55 M3
                        TM Sim 2 Ti 13.5*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                        TM Sim 2 Max 18*, Accra TZ6 65 M3
                        Ping G425 3h, Tensei Orange R
                        TM P790 5-GW, Modus 105 R
                        Cleveland CBX 56*, wedge flex
                        Cleveland CBX Zipcore 60*, wedge flex
                        LAB Mezz, Accra
                        Current hcp ~ 14

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews