/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Same shaft for driver and fairway woods?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same shaft for driver and fairway woods?

Any advice on:

1) using the same shaft in fairway woods as in the driver? I am getting great results from a RIP 60 alpha shaft in my new driver and was wondering if I would likely get the same great results if i switch to fairway woods with the same shaft?
    2) Is it cost effective to reshaft my current woods that are a couple generations old or just go with new ones that I can get the RIP shaft stock without an upcharge?
    3) I noticed there are now RIP alpha, beta, and gamma shafts? Are the beta and gamme shafts better geared towards fairway woods vs. drivers?

Thanks.

Re: Same shaft for driver and fairway woods?

I've always matched the fwy to the drive for shaft.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is how well do you hit your fwy woods in their current set-up?

Comment

Current performance is not great haha - I have a Ping G10 5 wood with an R flex shaft (which I think was a mistake I should have at least bought a stiff) that I like but seem to lack some control with - sometimes I hit some big sweeping hooks for no apparent reason. And really high in he air. My 3 wood (Mizuno F50 Stiff) is less erratic but I don't feel that I get everything I can out of it, if that makes any sense.

I guess I realize that my current set up is bit of a mess (due to purchasing based on price and not really knowing what the best equipment for me was, though recent trips to fittings has educated me) and am trying to figure out what the best way to remedy it would be.

Comment

I agree fully.

The only noticeable difference from a fitter's point of view is that say a driver shaft is light and it makes up for SW in the playing length ok

That being said usually a 3 wood is 43" and is you use a 208-211 gram head with a light "driver shaft" the finial SW is low get me? and when you use a driver profile shaft you will get a little more distance for the distance challenged guy

So in theroy a for example v2 ok say you run a 55 g v2 in the driver well they make the 80 gram shaft for the fairway and the more weight balances out the SW of the fairway wood get me?

I run driver shafts in my fairways and to tell you the truth, the SW doesn't affect my feel at all

but this is preference and people sometimes get a little crazy in regards to swingweight

good luck
        Whats in my OGIO OZONE Bag???
        Maltby Tricept PFT 10.5* UST SST Stiff
        Maltby KE4 15* 3 wood MPF SST Stiff
        Adams Pro Gold 20* w/KBS Hybrid
        Maltby MMB muscleback 3-PW .370 KBS Tour
        Maltby tricept 54 * 60* wedge KBS Tour
        PING craz-e g2i and a g5i (depends on day)

SRIXON Z-Star

Comment

Originally posted by aabbccdd View Post
          I agree fully.

The only noticeable difference from a fitter's point of view is that say a driver shaft is light and it makes up for SW in the playing length ok

That being said usually a 3 wood is 43" and is you use a 208-211 gram head with a light "driver shaft" the finial SW is low get me? and when you use a driver profile shaft you will get a little more distance for the distance challenged guy

So in theroy a for example v2 ok say you run a 55 g v2 in the driver well they make the 80 gram shaft for the fairway and the more weight balances out the SW of the fairway wood get me?

I run driver shafts in my fairways and to tell you the truth, the SW doesn't affect my feel at all

but this is preference and people sometimes get a little crazy in regards to swingweight

good luck
          Thanks I appreciate the reply - Ive seen that the RIP shaft I'm interested in comes in different weights just like you say so I guess I can decide which one I want in the fairway wood (60/70/80). I think I may decide to go heavier since I'm more concerned with control vs. distance . . .

Comment

it will always be cheaper and better to just upgrade and buy new fw that come with the shaft you want. Just scan a number of GT locations until you find what you are looking for, may be someone has ordered the club to your configuration and then return it.it won't hurt to do a quick GT scan.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdieNumNum View Post
              it will always be cheaper and better to just upgrade and buy new fw that come with the shaft you want. Just scan a number of GT locations until you find what you are looking for, may be someone has ordered the club to your configuration and then return it.it won't hurt to do a quick GT scan.
              Thanks I think you've just convinced me to get a new club

Comment

Originally posted by echan15 View Post
                Any advice on:

1) using the same shaft in fairway woods as in the driver? I am getting great results from a RIP 60 alpha shaft in my new driver and was wondering if I would likely get the same great results if i switch to fairway woods with the same shaft?
                2) Is it cost effective to reshaft my current woods that are a couple generations old or just go with new ones that I can get the RIP shaft stock without an upcharge?
                3) I noticed there are now RIP alpha, beta, and gamma shafts? Are the beta and gamme shafts better geared towards fairway woods vs. drivers?

Thanks.
                1 - Personal choice, quite often a heavier is used in the fw.
                2 - depends on if you like your current heads or want new clubs.
                3- alpha and gamma have similar play characteristics. Gamma shifts weight to butt end to balance or help adjust swing weight. beta has different characteristics altogether. Plays softer as I remember.
                JIM
                Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
                TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
                Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard