Collapse

Turtle wax on club face?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turtle wax on club face?

Has anyone tried using turtle wax, Mothers or etc to restore the shine on their club faces?

I wonder if this would affect the performance of the club over time.

Re: Turtle wax on club face?

Originally posted by ChiGGz View Post
    Has anyone tried using turtle wax, Mothers or etc to restore the shine on their club faces?

I wonder if this would affect the performance of the club over time.
    I read in a recent Digest issue that applying Pam cooking spray does add 10-15 yards but it is illegal to do so.
    Member of 2012, 2013, 2015 TGN Ryder Cup Team
    Member of 2014 OG Ryder Cup Team

Comment

Originally posted by gimmeabogey View Post
      I read in a recent Digest issue that applying Pam cooking spray does add 10-15 yards but it is illegal to do so.
      Have also heard to same about a very light coating of vaseline.
      Whats in The Ping Pioneer Bag

Taylormade M1 10.5 Driver
      Taylormade M1 4 wood

Adsms Idea 3 Hybrid
      Taylormade M2 Tour irons 4-PW
      Titleist SM 51/55/60 Wedges

Taylormade Spider Putter

Comment

Apparently on his own admission Lee Trevino and some of those other old timers used to grease the faces of their clubs. It is suppose to give more distance and reduces side spin so that hooks and slices are less severe. 3 or 4 years ago WalMart was selling a pack of 3 golf ball called "FireBall" it came with a tube of grease for the club face, and a claim it was the longest ball ever, there was however a rules disclaimer on the package. It is definitely not allowed in any official tournaments. Arnie talks about it in his book "Playing By The Rules" which also covers all kinds of problems a lot of the pros have had falling foul of those rules of this game we love to hate.
        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Hustlers weren't pulling a fast one on each other. The greased-face was just one of many created terms and conditions between themselves.
          If you want to know more about that game I suggest you get a copy of Tommy Bolts "The Hole Truth". The games between hustlers and hustler vs client were two different games with different rules.

Keep in mind the equipment was vastly different back then and a slight no-spin edge from vaseline was often negated by the crap that stuck to the ball if you over greased the face. It was better to use a hard wax on the face that didn't transfer to the ball.
          If you wanted to use a modern version for todays club you'd have to step up to a teflon based spray like CRC Dry-Glide. Keep in mind the ball will launch higher if you do.
          I'd be inclined to spray it on the ball you were intending to play and preserve the bite on the clubs.
          Other than that the stuff would keep the club in good shape for prolonged storage.

Comment

quite apart from the rules violations, imagine if your wife found a big tub of vaseline or CRC Dryglide in your golf bag...you'd never be allowed to set foot on the course again
            What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
            TM Rescue 17*
            TM M2 4-AW
            TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
            Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Looks like I've got a new strategy for scoring better next year. Rules Shmules.
              What's in the Taylormade TMX Stand Bag:
              Titleist 910D2 10.5* (w/ Oban Devotion)
              RBZ 3w 15*
              RBZ Tour 3h 18.5*
              Adams CB2 4-GW (KBS Tour 90)
              CG15 52*,56*

Putters:
              Byron Morgan DH89x
              Byron Morgan 611x

Comment

as stated it's illegal

however you can use scotchbrite wheel and buff the faces to get the shine back

I use Liquid Glass on all the painted parts of the golf head for an inpenetrable protective shine that prevents nicks and swirls
                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

You are right about the hustlers, Lee Trevino said it all on David Flaherty's TV show they all played by the same (cheating) rules (or no rules). Case in point, ball behind a tree, they said just kick it out no penalty. Why? Knocking a ball out from under a tree with any club did not prove how good a golfer you were. Well that was before Sergio's incredible shot or even Phil's at the Masters. Arnie says the way they play today they should call it Pick, Clean, and Cheat, sorry Place!
                  If you don't want to worry about the wife and Vaseline you can try UHU Glue stick from the office, apparently it works just as well, and just like the pitchers make sure you wipe it clean before you put the club back in the bag.
                  Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by seanfarrell View Post
                    Looks like I've got a new strategy for scoring better next year. Rules Shmules.
                    HAHAHAa I'm in with my 10 rounds total next year, will need all the help I can get!
                    Ping G30/TFC
                    X2Hot/Accra
                    Speedline Classic 20*/V2
                    G10/TFC
                    CB2 6-GW/KBS
                    Vokey SM4 54*, 58*/Spinners
                    A011067

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard