/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Stiffer shaft = more spin, higher launch, less dispersion and greater distance???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stiffer shaft = more spin, higher launch, less dispersion and greater distance???

How is that even possible?

I went to get fitted for a set of irons. After a long warmup session it was time to try different shafts. I entered my fitting thinking I was going to come out with a stiff shaft (being fitted with one in the past).

I tried 6 different shafts. To keep this short I'll keep it down to the two shafts that felt the best to me. DG S300 and DG X100.

Hitting 10 balls each shaft then taking away the longest and the shortest providing an average for 8 balls hit. Same head for each shaft.

The X100 (yes X) gave me more spin (+300 rpm), higher launch angle (+3*), further distance (+7 yards) and tighter dispersion (3 yards vs 9 yards).

Everything I read indicates the opposite. What gives?
    My golf game
    [I]Ajax/I]
    Driver: R1 Black
    Woods: '07 Burner 3 wood w/Motore 4.0
    Irons: Epon AF-301 4-pw w/Satin PX
    Wedges: MacDaddy
    Putter: Wilson Ben Crenshaw 8802

Re: Stiffer shaft = more spin, higher launch, less dispersion and greater distance???

What club were you using? Sounds like the shaft release matched your swing better.
    TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
    TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
    TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
    Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
    Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
    100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Re: Stiffer shaft = more spin, higher launch, less dispersion and greater distance???

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
      What club were you using? Sounds like the shaft release matched your swing better.
      MP 59 head. Mizuno fitting cart.
      My golf game
      [I]Ajax/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
        Nailed it. Results should always trump what is considered standard application. Sounds like you found a winner with the X100. You said you liked the feel, was it similar to the S300 for you. What shafts have you played before.

Comment

Originally posted by davee View Post
          Nailed it. Results should always trump what is considered standard application. Sounds like you found a winner with the X100. You said you liked the feel, was it similar to the S300 for you. What shafts have you played before.
          I've played with PX 6.0 flighted, DG S300 in the past. The X100 felt heavier compared to the S300.

If you're asking why I liked the feeling of DG over PX and KBS I'd have to say the DG doesn't feel "boardie". And also provided me with the best numbers.
          My golf game
          [I]Ajax/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Bradynel View Post
            I've played with PX 6.0 flighted, DG S300 in the past. The X100 felt heavier compared to the S300.

If you're asking why I liked the feeling of DG over PX and KBS I'd have to say the DG doesn't feel "boardie". And also provided me with the best numbers.
            Good stuff, feel is very important. You may consider hard stepping the S300 if you prefer a lighter feel. The only challenge you may have going to X100 is the mental hurdle of an X flex. For years I played reg flex but about 7 yrs ago was given a set of Hogan Apex Plus w S300 and they felf heavy and stiff to me. But man I could hit those, no problem with distance, trajectory or direction it was all great. Took me a while to mentally accept the fact they were not out of my league.

It sounds like you have found the right shaft. I was not going to throw this in but I will. A theory I agree with is getting fit for a shaft when you don't have your best stuff ie: maybe fatigue on the back nine or if you have any injuries that slow you down close to the end of the round. Basically error on the side of softer and lighter. You might be young and strong and don't need to hear this from a 54 yr old with a bad back

Comment

Are you planning on buying MP59s?
              Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
              Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
              Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
              Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
              Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
              Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

Comment

I've always found the 6.0's to be much closer to the X100's than to the DG300's. In fact, I find my 5.5's to be a little more stout that DG300's.

Think you just found a shaft that works for you.
                I like big putts and I cannot lie
                You other putters can't deny
                That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
                You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
                  Are you planning on buying MP59s?
                  No. I went into the store ready to buy MP59's with S300's and ended up ordering a set of Titleist 712 MB's with tour issue X100's. Funny where the day take you.
                  My golf game
                  [I]Ajax/I]

Comment

Was only asking because shafts will play differently in different heads. Did you try the 712s with the X-100s or just order them that way because the MP59s felt good with them?
                    Callaway X Hot Pro 8.5* w/ MCS X flex
                    Callaway X2 Hot Pro 14.5* 3 Deep w/ Aldila Tour Green S flex
                    Callaway X Hot 18* and 23* w/ PX 6.0
                    Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 5-PW w/ PX 5.5
                    Callaway Jaws X Series 52/56/60 w/ stock uniflex
                    Heavy Putter K3 w/ Superstroke Flatso Mid

Comment

I saw an article at GolfWRX regarding these two shafts. The comments centered around a hard swing vs. a smoother swing and the different shaft loading characteristics that the two caused. If the article had validity, I bet you have a good rip at it and thus the X100 can maintain the loft (launch angle and distance) and face (dispersion).

Comment

No. I went into the store ready to buy MP59's with S300's and ended up ordering a set of Titleist 712 MB's with tour issue X100's. Funny where the day take you.
                        Where did you order "Tour Issue" X100's?
                        In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                        Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
                        TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                        TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                        PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                        TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                        Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                        TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Originally posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
                          Was only asking because shafts will play differently in different heads. Did you try the 712s with the X-100s or just order them that way because the MP59s felt good with them?
                          Pulled the trigger without trying the 712's. I was told that I'll load the shaft the same. I like the "click" from Titleist rather than the softer feeling of Mizuno.

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post
                          Where did you order "Tour Issue" X100's?
                          From Titleist. It was an upgrade ($$) to the shaft options Titleist offers (there are a lot of options).
                          Last edited by Bradynel; Jan 26, 2012, 08:31 PM.
                          My golf game
                          [I]Ajax/I]

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard