No announcement yet.
Collapse

Game Improvement Irons making me worse?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Improvement Irons making me worse?

ThomD: Thanks for the great reply. A few people have mentioned lie adjustment. Going to look into this. Hope to visit Ian Hale sometime soon. Thanks!

Your point to the heads is taken. I'm a bit of a research geek and spent a long time reading before I bought the CI6s. Pretty happy with their performance After hitting the Mac's I thought I'd got it wrong. My goal is to score, and I think finding a shaft that works for me is the key. I'm going to keep an eye out for some Rifle 5.5 pulls and swap the shafts.

Really appreciate the response.

Comment

Originally posted by Feebz13 View Post
      ThomD: Thanks for the great reply. A few people have mentioned lie adjustment. Going to look into this. Hope to visit Ian Hale sometime soon. Thanks!

Your point to the heads is taken. I'm a bit of a research geek and spent a long time reading before I bought the CI6s. Pretty happy with their performance After hitting the Mac's I thought I'd got it wrong. My goal is to score, and I think finding a shaft that works for me is the key. I'm going to keep an eye out for some Rifle 5.5 pulls and swap the shafts.

Really appreciate the response.
      I had Ian look over a set of used irons I had bought. Basically mapped them out, measured length, frequency, lies, swing weight. He regripped them and adjusted the lies, one by one off a lie board. Highly recommend him.

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
        ThomD you implied a lot of deception to fool the gullable golfing public, most of it is true

The only thing I would take exception to are 'heads are high (not low) in importance' (due to our testing) but the experts will debate this one for years. The other parameter which is super critical to reduce Club % Error is the precision of the build across the full set of clubs, but it is rarely discussed. People are content if all shaft bands indicated S flex
        +1....
        IMO Head design is very important. Offset alone, plays a a major role in performance.
        JIM
        Kona Golf Sales

WIB-

What Day is it?

But Be Sure They Will Be
        TLT & TFT & Spined /Flo'd
        Single Length Irons and Hybrids

Comment

Originally posted by Kona Golf View Post
          +1....
          IMO Head design is very important. Offset alone, plays a a major role in performance.
          +2

About 5 years ago I had a set of Callaway X20s, ball flight was too high and I tended to hit them fat. I was given a set of Hogan Apex Plus which I thought were too much club for me. Callaways are suppose to be easy to hit, forgiving, wide sole all that stuff, Hogans one step away from blades thin soles very little offset. I hit the Hogans much better. I hit down on the ball, hands ahead and take a healthy divot, anything with alot of off set just does not work well for me. I have tried LOTS of different irons and it is always the same

Club head design makes a difference depending on your swing type. Sweepers can probably get away with more off set, wider soles.

Comment

"The only thing I would take exception to are 'heads are high (not low) in importance' (due to our testing) but the experts will debate this one for years.

I don't in any way want to overturn someone else's testing. But I keep saying that, just because I feel someone needs to put that spin out there. I think it is just as true. I could easily play the rest of my life with a vast aray of (you pick 'em) heads, but I can't play with a dartboard approach to shaft selection. Plus if you hang around, just about every head shape you can imagine gets promoted, and it never seems to change anything. Plus because of how an iron works, vs, say a putter or wood, the moving around of weight tends to cancel out, a lot. Of course one can design a bad head, but I am just talking about within the universe of hundreds of heads that we have to choose from.

On the deception thing, I think that is there, people want the impossible, so that is what they get.

"The other parameter which is super critical to reduce Club % Error is the precision of the build across the full set of clubs, but it is rarely discussed. People are content if all shaft bands indicated S flex "

I totally agree with that. And as important, or moreso, is the set progression. This is where "game improvement" is so bad. They sell the idea that some inconsequential dimple on the head is going to change your life, then they do a bunch of things to make the set harder to hit, and to leave gaps in it. So yeah, testing, quality control, and progression. But it isn't sexy, and you can't sell it at Costco, or even GT.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X