Lost Courses

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lost Courses

Originally posted by RCCHGA View Post
    Let me get this straight. At today's FX rate, 35 Quid would translate into C$65 and that would prevent you from playing the finest original style links course in the world. I think you are right - you should take a pass...!
    No the opposite. It hurts because here in the GTA we often pay $150+ to play courses that are not even close to being anywhere near as good.

One of my friends played St Andrews many times in the 70's and 80's before the 'golf boom'. At that time, business people from Japan would often fly over to St Andrews to play a few times a year. They claimed that the cost of a charter flight, hotel and green fees at St Andrews were roughly equivalent to a weekend playing at the high end courses in Japan.

As for the Tam. Played hockey, swam and my family curled there. Under Imlach the Leafs often practiced there. The fire was 'suspicious' but nothing could be proved. In the late 60's for one or two winters they had snowmobiles on site that you could rent and drive around the golf course. It was a true 'country club' at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
      No the opposite. It hurts because here in the GTA we often pay $150+ to play courses that are not even close to being anywhere near as good.

One of my friends played St Andrews many times in the 70's and 80's before the 'golf boom'. At that time, business people from Japan would often fly over to St Andrews to play a few times a year. They claimed that the cost of a charter flight, hotel and green fees at St Andrews were roughly equivalent to a weekend playing at the high end courses in Japan.

As for the Tam. Played hockey, swam and my family curled there. Under Imlach the Leafs often practiced there. The fire was 'suspicious' but nothing could be proved. In the late 60's for one or two winters they had snowmobiles on site that you could rent and drive around the golf course. It was a true 'country club' at the time.
      I sincerely apologize for failing to understand to intent of your previous post. No harm meant........!
      If St. Andrews is the home of golf, Askernish is it's soul......!

Comment

None taken. And I believe we favour the same style of course.

Comment

Originally posted by beeker View Post
          Forgot about this one, but I thought it was called Windmills? I remember it as an Executive 18-hole course, which I played a fair bit and a 9-hole regulation course that I never played.
          I remember playing Windmills as a teen. I'm 50 now. Liked the 9 hole reg course. Ahh those old days of youth. Gone, gone, gone .....

Comment

started playing my first round of golf at Eddie Shacks.
            Kleinburg was a fairly dissent 27 holes.

Comment

Originally posted by keypnitstrt View Post
              started playing my first round of golf at Eddie Shacks.
              Kleinburg was a fairly dissent 27 holes.
              Started playing Kleinburg when it was 18. Very tough par 4 starting hole and exacting little second hole.

Comment

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post
                I think you mean the club in Woodbridge, it had 36 holed and hosted an LPGA event one year (won by Pat Bradely)? My dad was a member for one year, I played there several times with him.
                I believe it is called The Country Club now.
                Yep that's it, it's still around.

Comment

Here's one to add to the list, http://www.torontoneighbourhoods.net...ardens/history.

I swear that my back year is a tee deck, although I've been told otherwise. I wish I could get more info on it but doubt that anyone on this forum was playing golf in the 1930s.

Comment

Little exec. 18 in Barrie by the name of Pineview . West side of the city . Looks like houses will be coming in soon .

Comment

• Re: Lost Courses

Found this pic of the Tam O'Shanter complex. Hope it turns out. We often went up there from Scarborough to swim, golf and play hockey when I was a kid. They used to have live bands on Friday nights with pleasure skating. Also went there for overnight hockey camp when I was young. My counsellor was Brad Park, the future Bruins Rangers great!

Comment

Great picture. Thanks.

Spent a great deal of time there.
                        Swimming lessons in the summer. Most have forgotten the pool and the picture shows just how large it was. Swimming, skating, curling and golf, truly a 'country club'.

Multiple curling pads. Perhaps the largest curling complex in Toronto?

I believe 2 hockey rinks. At least one was NHL size. They hosted a figure skating club. The 'inventor' of powerskating Jack Belec was a coach with their figure skating club. He later moved to Unionville.

Under Imlach the Leafs would often practice at the Tam. He also had some of the players take powerskating instruction from Belec. I remember getting ready to go on with our group and watching as Pat Quinn was finishing his session.

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
                          Little exec. 18 in Barrie by the name of Pineview . West side of the city . Looks like houses will be coming in soon .
                          I use to live about a block away from that course. I don't think they did well at all. Them being bought out is probably the best possible scenario for the ownership.
                          Driver - Taylormade SIM MAX 9.0 Diamana S
                          3W - Taylormade M4
                          5 wood - Callaway X Hot
                          4 Hybrid - Taylormade R15
                          Irons - Taylormade 2017 P790 5-PW
                          Wedge - 52 Raw Jaws/56 MD 2 tour grind
                          Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

Originally posted by allbrosca View Post
                            Found this pic of the Tam O'Shanter complex. Hope it turns out. We often went up there from Scarborough to swim, golf and play hockey when I was a kid. They used to have live bands on Friday nights with pleasure skating. Also went there for overnight hockey camp when I was young. My counsellor was Brad Park, the future Bruins Rangers great!

Thanks for posting this. Brings back so many fond memories for me. Played golf and hockey there. Golf probably around 1968 onwards until the fire. Hockey from 1963 until the same sad end of the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                              I believe 2 hockey rinks. At least one was NHL size. They hosted a figure skating club.
                              My recollection is one hockey rink and 5 curling rinks, but they would use the curling rinks for power skating and figure skating in the summer. Spent a lot of time there. Only played the golf course a few times (I was lucky enough to be a member of Cedar Brae growing up. Started on the course that was converted into Brookside.)

Comment

I do enjoy this thread and the mysteries it resolves. Has anyone heard of a Sunrise Golf Course or Golf Centre in the GTA in the 50's - 60s ?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X