• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Osprey Valley

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
    Someone played 8 rounds there yesterday

https://twitter.com/golfcambrennan/status/613151948045479936
    I played Heathlands yesterday solo walking

This must be the single in a cart that played through me. Rather aggressively.

I teed off with no one in front. I noticed a group about 5 holes ahead at one point.

I kept looking behind, but no one in sight until a twosome finally showed up about 2 1/2 holes back. I took my time, played some extra balls on occasion and made sure they were always 2 1/2 behind.

And all of a sudden there was a guy waiting for me to putt out on 8. I'd been extra slow there with a bit of a train wreck drive yanked left which I spent extra time looking for. I finished up and drove well on 9. He was waiting on the tee when I hit my 2nd shot. And he was waiting again as I putted out for par (par 5). Every time I saw him he was waggling his club and ready to shoot. It bugged me - I was on a 3.5 hr pace or better at the time and didn't need to be pushed.

I hadn't let him through yet because I didn't know if he was really playing this course or just jumping around. He really came out of nowhere. And if he was jumping around, there was no guarantee he was faster than me.

On the 10th I hit my drive and he pulled up and asked to play through. I let him, of course and he motored along quickly. I only had to wait to hit my approach on that hole (another par - that's rare for me!).

Once he was through I was tempted to play quickly, just to show him... . Then I realized it was a perfect day to be out and hit about 20 practice chips and putts on the 12th and let him get out of sight.

Congrats to him, I suppose.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

8 rounds is insane. We played there last week as a twosome. First ones out at 6am and last ones in at 9:15p. 5 rounds, no stopping other than to switch carts and find out which course was least busy. Only got behind others 3-4 times and were either let through pretty quickly, or in one case when it was clear they were clueless about that kind of thing, we bailed on hoot after 9 and re-started on #2 since it was clear. I have zero clue how you'd get in 8 rounds. Must have run the entire time between shots and not putted out.

Staff did say that some groups had been trying to play night golf with glow balls and flashlights, but they're cracking down so staff can go home and a cart doesn't end up getting trashed.

Comment

Originally posted by sprint1 View Post
        8 rounds is insane. We played there last week as a twosome. First ones out at 6am and last ones in at 9:15p. 5 rounds, no stopping other than to switch carts and find out which course was least busy. Only got behind others 3-4 times and were either let through pretty quickly, or in one case when it was clear they were clueless about that kind of thing, we bailed on hoot after 9 and re-started on #2 since it was clear. I have zero clue how you'd get in 8 rounds. Must have run the entire time between shots and not putted out.

Staff did say that some groups had been trying to play night golf with glow balls and flashlights, but they're cracking down so staff can go home and a cart doesn't end up getting trashed.
        I did notice a number of unrepaired ball marks that were quite fresh.

That would save some time.

Of course the bunkers were a mess too, but I doubt that was due to the guy that passed me. I raked out quite a few bunkers and repaired maybe 50 ball marks on the green. Exhausting!
        ...Iggy

Comment

Steve and I did the all day play last Thursday. What a wonderful place! Our favourite was Hoot. We didn't have a great time on Heathlands as there was a foursome of REALLY slow players in front of us. After four holes of being held up we jumped ahead of them. All good after that....although I must have played out of every bunker. LOL!
          In the Titleist Canada stand bag.....

Titleist 915 D3, 10.5
          Titleist 909 F2 15.5*
          Titleist 910 F2 19*
          Titleist 913H 24*
          Titleist 712 AP1 5-GW
          Vokey SM6 52* (bent to 53*)
          Vokey SM6 58*
          SC Studio Stainless Newport

Comment

Not to hijack this thread too much, but how feasible is it to play all 3 courses on a Friday as a twosome? Or is it something that should be done Monday Thursday?
            In the bag:

Driver - Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 10.5*
            4 Wood - Titleist TS2 16.5*
            7 Wood - Titleist TS2 21*
            Irons - Mizuno 921 Forged 5-PW
            Wedges - SM7 50* F, SM7 54* S, SM7 58* D
            Putter - Evnroll ER1.2

Comment

Played hoot on sunday starting at 4:30. It was great. The course was in great shape.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
                Someone played 8 rounds there yesterday

https://twitter.com/golfcambrennan/status/613151948045479936
                I played there on Monday as well as a 2some.
                The course was super busy for a monday especially because Toot was closed till 2pm. There were some really slow 4somes and even a group playing with 6 people. Not sure how he got in 8 rounds.

we only got in 4rds teeing off at 6:50am and played till 7pm.

Comment

Played Hoot for the first time yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

Greens in very good shape. Fun open typical Carrick course that's mainly right in front of you
                  as it had very few blind shots...until 17/18.
                  Had a nice round going until those two. Shot 82 in a 2-3 club wind that includes 5 over on those two damn holes . Will live and learn lol

Fore!!!
                  Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV blue 55 s
                  Ping G425 5 wood
                  Ping G425 7 wood

Ping G425 4 Hybrid
                  Srixon Z 785 irons - Nippon Modus 120 s
                  Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
                  Bettinardi Queen B6

Tour B RXS Golf Balls - yellow
                  hcp- 6

Comment

Played Heathlands yesterday. We teed off at 3, and never the saw the group in front of us the rest of the day. I bet we saw 3 other groups all afternoon, it was dead out there. The course was in great shape, obviously the rain from last week helped a lot.
                    I was with 2 old friends, and combined with perfect weather we kept commenting how enjoyable the afternoon was. I hadn't played it in 2 years and was reminded why it is my favourite course.Not just of the 3 at Osprey, but my favourite course.

Comment

Played Hoot and Toot yesterday for the first time in a few years. I kind of forgot how nice it is up there. All out of towners also raved about layout, conditioning, scenery and pace of play. A real gem for this area. Also only took 45 mins to get there from Bayview and Lawrence for 7a.m. Tee time.

Preferred Toot to Hoot but both great.

Comment

Last day of my week vacation so decided to treat myself and booked a tee time at Osprey Valley.
                        Girl on the phone said The Hoot was more forgiving so I played The Hoot.
                        I am assuming with no starter and no marshalls that people can jump to whatever course they like...not what they booked?
                        I had just arrived at tee blocks about to warm up and three people( all in one cart) drove up saying that The Toot was to busy so they came to The Hoot.
                        Needless to say not being able to do my usual warm up the first hole was a right off!!!
                        But my round got a whole lot better I shot a 82. I played a combination of red and white tee blocks.
                        My best hole was white tees #17 322 yrd. par 4. My drive landed just to the left of the 100 yd marker. Decided to "go big or go home" and took aim at the flag with my 9 iron.( it was in the front left hand corner). My approach shot landed about 6ft to the right of flag...putting for birdie....left it short(crap).
                        I have to talk about the Par 5 13th hole 414 to the green, very interesting hole..... played safe and took second shot around the corner.Left myself a 80yd shot to the flag. Third shot 4 feet from hole....BUT so many GEESE on the green I could not finish my hole...that was a pisser!!!!
                        Enjoyed the course.

Comment

Great score ^^^^
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Sinogirl View Post
                            Last day of my week vacation so decided to treat myself and booked a tee time at Osprey Valley.
                            I am assuming with no starter and no marshalls that people can jump to whatever course they like...not what they booked?
                            I had just arrived at tee blocks about to warm up and three people( all in one cart) drove up saying that The Toot was to busy so they came to The Hoot.
                            Needless to say not being able to do my usual warm up the first hole was a right off!!!
                            But my round got a whole lot better I shot a 82. I played a combination of red and white tee blocks.
                            My best hole was white tees #17 322 yrd. par 4. My drive landed just to the left of the 100 yd marker. Decided to "go big or go home" and took aim at the flag with my 9 iron.( it was in the front left hand corner). My approach shot landed about 6ft to the right of flag...putting for birdie....left it short(crap).
                            I have to talk about the Par 5 13th hole 414 to the green, very interesting hole..... played safe and took second shot around the corner.Left myself a 80yd shot to the flag. Third shot 4 feet from hole....BUT so many GEESE on the green I could not finish my hole...that was a pisser!!!!
                            Enjoyed the course.
                            More like a pooper.

Great score though!

Comment

Third shot 4 feet from hole....BUT so many GEESE on the green I could not finish my hole...that was a pisser!!!!
                              Enjoyed the course.
                              One of the first times I played there, the 7th on Toot was covered with goose poop - the putting line was dictated by trying to find a clear path through the mine field. I'm surprised they don't have someone bring a dog out to scare the geese away.

I played Canada Day and it was great - hadn't been in a while. I appreciated the paved road this time. Everything else - well, it's Osprey, so for the price I payed it was great.
                              In the bag:
                              R15 12° PXV 6.0
                              SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
                              Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
                              Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
                              Vokey SM5 54, 58
                              Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

I'm surprised they said Hoot was more forgiving than Toot. I'd say the opposite (and Heathlands is the least).

I'd hate to see them tighten things up with marshals and starters. The lack of them is one of the charms of the place - but it does seem to be getting a little more chaotic with time. I think it's caused by the play-all-day crowd. Very hard to predict or control.

Congrats on a great round!! What a perfect day to be out.
                                ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X