Collapse

The Club at North Halton

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Club at North Halton

What are your thoughts on this course as of 2016? Is it worth joining as an equity membership in your opinion? Heard great things about it and its 15 minutes from my front door. I know there was some fall out a few years back from the conversion to equity but wondering what 2 years time has done to heal old wounds.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: The Club at North Halton

Do a google search about the club. There have been few weird things in the distant and not so distant past. The course is a nice layout.

Comment

The course is a good challenging golf course. There are pros and cons of the equity membership structure.

Pros.
      Yes, a member own the land, club house etc. You can resell your membership any time you wish. You will however have to pay a transfer fee.
      Cons.
      A member is liable for all debts and any shortfall in revenues. The value of the share is based on market value.

2 GTA clubs - Islington and Scarboro has more or less given up the equity model. Any new member do not have to buy a share any more. Existing shares are now virtually worthless unless there is a real estate play.

The Club at North Halton.
      When it first converted to a full equity club, shares were valued at $22,000. Last year, you can purchase one through the club for $14,000 and you get 1 year free membership reducing the value to less then $10,000.
      This year, if you purchase a share at $16,000 you get 1 year free membership which is now at $4500 plus $720 pa. for debt repayment etc.
      Privately you can purchase one for less then that.

Also, as of 2017 if you own a share, you will have to pay the Annual dues regardless if you decided not to play due to job transfer, health reasons etc. You would have to get someone who is willing to lease your share and pay the Annual dues for you. Why would they do that when the Club is offering Trial Membership.

I was a long time member and I left because of the conversion. I did my research with other GTA equity golf courses and since then my research and analysis of the situation made my decision a very sound one.

All I can say is. DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE. Buying an equity share is like buying a share in a business. You own a piece of it through good times and bad.

Just remember, York Downs was NOT an equity golf course but member owned. So is Credit Valley, Summit, St Georges, Weston etc.

Comment

Originally posted by golower View Post
        What are your thoughts on this course as of 2016? Is it worth joining as an equity membership in your opinion? Heard great things about it and its 15 minutes from my front door. I know there was some fall out a few years back from the conversion to equity but wondering what 2 years time has done to heal old wounds.

Thanks,

Chris
        I have a friend that is selling his membership Chris for next year and you might be able to work out something with him, LMK and I can put you in touch with him, the course is great, played it many times.
        Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
        Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
        Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
        Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
        Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
        Pro V1x Left Dash
        Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
        Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Fantastic course, amazing membership.

The "share sale" mentioned earlier, got more than 30 new members to the club.

Club is doing very well....

If you are looking for a "club" atmosphere its the right place...

BTW, small correction here...

Originally posted by trunckslammer1 View Post
          Also, as of 2017 if you own a share, you will have to pay the Annual dues regardless if you decided not to play due to job transfer, health reasons etc.
          Although it's true that as of 2017 every shareholder will have to pay dues... you can still apply for a LOA due to either medical or relocation reasons (same as now).

As mentioned earlier, due your due diligence... I would call the club and ask for all the information you want. You can get a great deal for a Trial Membership and see for yourself.
          To golf, or not to golf? What a stupid question!

Comment

Staff and membership are great. Course is a lot nicer than Eagle Ridge (the other Georgetown course). If you can afford to spend 6-8K a year for the next 5+ years and you live in or around Georgetown it's a no brainer.

Call Melanie if you have't already.

Comment

Hi all, new to this forum but a longtime lurker, enjoy the insights.

I'm wondering if we could revive this now 7+ year old thread. The Club at North Halton looks like a really nice option if you like the area and the looks of the course (I watched the entire Bob Weeks video tour), and possibly more affordable than some other private courses. There was said to be "drama" with how the equity memberships work, and also the possibility that the course might be up for sale, possibly for housing development? Is the lower price reflecting people's reluctance to get involved in drama? Is that justified? What have people heard more recently? I'm also considering ClubLink and home courses in that vicinity. Very different scenarios, admittedly. I have to say, though most course layouts are far from perfect, I sort of fell in love with this course, especially how natural the feel is given the proximity to the Big City. I believe they have a 14-day booking window for times, which sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by TOandPointsWest View Post
                Hi all, new to this forum but a longtime lurker, enjoy the insights.

I'm wondering if we could revive this now 7+ year old thread. The Club at North Halton looks like a really nice option if you like the area and the looks of the course (I watched the entire Bob Weeks video tour), and possibly more affordable than some other private courses. There was said to be "drama" with how the equity memberships work, and also the possibility that the course might be up for sale, possibly for housing development? Is the lower price reflecting people's reluctance to get involved in drama? Is that justified? What have people heard more recently? I'm also considering ClubLink and home courses in that vicinity. Very different scenarios, admittedly. I have to say, though most course layouts are far from perfect, I sort of fell in love with this course, especially how natural the feel is given the proximity to the Big City. I believe they have a 14-day booking window for times, which sounds great.
                I am a member that has moved away from the area and is looking to sell my membership. What I can tell you is that it is a fantastic course, great membership and events, great booking system with the lottery that they run and truely a hidden gem. If I didn't live so far away from the course now, I would never have considered leaving. One thing on the equity side - if it does get sold to developers, it is going to be a winfall for the membership that owns shares. WIth the green belt behing shut back down, this land will be prime development land over the next 10 years. Ping me for more info if you want and are seriously looking at things. I used to also be a clublink member and left there because it was hard to get tee times outside of your home course so the choice it gave me turned into an illusion.

Comment

Have you looked at Brampton Golf Club? Not sure if pricing is the same as North Halton, but I'm sure it's less that some other GTA courses.

Comment

North Halton is a great club at a good price. Particularly if you are looking for an equity membership. The yearly fees are similar to most clubs but the equity share is yours to keep, and sell, at some point down the road. I love the golf course as well.

Comment

Just to clarify, the drama was centered around the equity owners voting down the sale of the course to developers. At that time the shares were worth $100,000 each as developmet land. Land values have gone up significantly since then, land value would now be in excess of $150,000 a share. (so YES, huge windfall if course is ever sold to developers)

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X