X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary golf end of June : one round only

Hi nuts

Will have the opportunity to be in Calgary ( area ) briefly end of June ,

Wanted to play one round ( only have time for one )
    Can't decide which of the 3:

Stuart creek
    Silver tips
    Banff springs

Reviews look good for all !

Will be renting clubs but regardless any feed back if you had to pick one would be appreciated from those who have had the pleasure of playing these beauties

Thanks in adv !

Re: Calgary golf end of June : one round only

Stewart Creek is a great track but on the pricey side.
    A great alternative in the south end of the city is Sirocco.
    Last edited by WhiteWalker; Apr 27, 2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Silvertip, without a doubt.

Comment

And Banff Springs is Top 10 in Canada and a true gem...... Know it is pricey too..... Incredible town in the summer too.

Comment

Banff Springs should be a no brainer. Incredible setting and a classic Stanley Thompson design.
          10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
          16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
          20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
          4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
          Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

And Banff is one of my favourite towns anywhere.
            10 degree Cobra Fly-Z+ / Matrix White Tie 55X4
            16 degree Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 / Fujikura Speeder 865
            20 degree Ping Rapture V2 Hybrid / MR JavlinFX
            4-AW Nike Vapor Pro Combo / DG Pro

54, 58 degree Ping Glide / CFS
            Ping Anser Redwood

Srixon ZStar XV

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
              Hi nuts

Will have the opportunity to be in Calgary ( area ) briefly end of June ,

Wanted to play one round ( only have time for one )
              Can't decide which of the 3:

Stuart creek
              Silver tips
              Banff springs

Reviews look good for all !

Will be renting clubs but regardless any feed back if you had to pick one would be appreciated from those who have had the pleasure of playing these beauties

Thanks in adv !
              Stewart Creek is my vote, Ive been fortunate to play all 3. I find Stewart Creek to be the best balanced course on your list.

Banff is great but overrated for value, great course with history.
              Silver Tip has amazing sights and terrain, but is a true shot to shot strategy course which can frustrate the best of players.

You will not be upset playing any of the 3 listed. Have fun!
              Essex Golf & CC
              Ping G400 LST AD-DI 6S
              Titleist 915F 16.5 AD-DI 7S
              Titleist 915F 21 AD-DI 7S
              Nike VrProII 4-Pw KBStour S
              Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58M KBStour S
              Titleist Newport 2 Custom Shop
              ProV1X

Comment

This is not multiple choice
                Banff Springs in a heartbeat

Comment

I have only played Banff of the three. If you're looking for value, it is probably not the best choice. However, as far as I'm concerned, it is an absolute MUST PLAY!!! Incredible design, and the surrounding scenery is beautiful. Every hole is framed by mountains, so it feels like you're watching your tee shot climb to the top of the Rockies.

If you only have one round to play, and aren't sure that you will be able to get back out there play Banff Springs. You will not be disappointed.

Comment

The only issue is the weather. In June it's really unpredictable in the mountains.

Comment

I'd go with the original 18 at Banff. You won't regret it. I once played 9 rounds there in 6 days. Those long daylight hours will allow you to play late into the evening.
                      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Banff no doubt about it.

silver tip is amazing for views and such. But it is a very typical mountain course. where Banff isnt. Gotta go with banff

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWalker View Post
                          The only issue is the weather. In June it's really unpredictable in the mountains.
                          this is the truth. frost delays can last well past 11am. should book for a 2pmish start.

Comment

I have played all three many many times. I live in Calgary. I would vote for Banff Springs. It is a true gem that was restored to its' Stanley Thompson character in an extensive 1990's Reno. Before the renovation, I would have picked the other two. While shortish by modern standards, and the close to 5,000 foot elevation adds significant distance to your drives ( unless it is snowing, cold kills distance) can feel shorter, the many bunkers and water hazards (Bow River, Cauldron pond, etc) put a premium on accuracy. The greens can be slow and elk can mess em up a bit, but the last three years we have been doing client events there and they have played surprisingly well.

This is not a value question, this is a bucket list issue if you don't play out here often. All three courses are extremely expensive so money isn't the issue.

SilverTip hasn't got a flat lie on the course. It can be very frustrating to play because of that. On many holes, it takes driver out of you hands and you have to play it to a target area. That being said, if you play with someone that knows the course, it can make a world of difference. I am a personal friend of the owner and have played it three or four times with him. His tips cut 10-15 strokes off my score. It is a very tight course with a lot of silly holes. First hole is a 5 iron/9 iron par 4. Two is a beautiful soaring par five. It has great holes and really dumb holes. There are some very long drives between green and tee boxes. Scenery is world class though. Have dinner in the restaurant. Spectacular food and views to match. Les Furber design. On balance, I hate Les Ferber designs.

Stewart Creek is a more conventional mountain course. Flatter lies than SilverTip, the goofy holes have been cleaned up. A more modern conventional layout. Views are the weakest of the three, but still jaw dropping. I have a friend who owns a vacation home at SilverTip, but is a member at Stewart Creek.

Some caveats...Mountain golf weather can be ..... variable. Come prepared for all seasons. Layers. An example. We were driving from Calgary to Kanaskis on a beautiful, bluebird morning. First week of July, first Friday of Stampede. My brother asked " what's the weather supposed to be like?" I look up and a few whispies in the sky..."variable" I reply. First hole, blazing sun, then some clouds, then some light rain, sunny for 5th and 6th. Then the thermometer drops through the floor and on the 8 green it starts to snow. Heavy snow, almost hail. On 9 tee box, fairway is white and covered. From tee to fairway balls, sun back out, find balls and hit to green. Snow melted as we walk onto green to putt... on the ride from 9 green to 10 tee, my brother looks at me and says " you're right, variable"

Banff Springs has Taylor Made rentals, current year clubs. Take a drop away from elk. While all three courses can have grizzley bears, I have only seen them at SilverTip. A few times we have been held off a hole at ST while the Rangers take the Russian bear dogs ahead to move the grizzlies out of the way. If you see a bear, black or Griz, phone the pro shop and they will deal with it. Don't get near either one. Period.

You will have a blast.

If you decide to book extra time, I might make another suggestion. 3 1/2 hours from Calgary is Panorama Resort. Home of Greywolf Golf Course. I would not skip Banff Springs, but I truly believe the best of all the mountain courses, hands down, is Greywolf. Doug Carrick design, conditioning the last few years has been exceptional, though like all mountain courses, green are a little slower to protect them from frost. The first three holes are a bit of an uphill grind, playing longer than their stated length, but the fourth and fift are spectacular driving holes. Four especially as your ball hangs over Mt Nelson. Six is the signature island green Cliffhanger. You can hit driver on almost every hole. I use 3 wood on 7 for accuracy. 11 is a drivable par 4 with elevated tee box and danger everywhere. 13 might be one of the hardest par 4's I have played. But I am an idiot. I may not have figured it out in the 18 years I have played the course. 14 a long uphill par 4, 16 challenging short par 4. They have a new clubhouse, but if staying at the resort, a dinner at Gray's Restaurant or real BBQ at the Grays Cabin is on order.

Have a great trip.
                            Last edited by duffer_mcmulligan; Apr 28, 2017, 08:19 PM.
                            Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
                            Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
                            Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
                            TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
                            Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
                            Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

Banff Springs is an amazing experience and every shot there feels special. When I played there, I spent half my back nine in the sand, but still had a great time. Highlight of my round was when a herd of elk was grazing immediately in front of the tee boxes (on hole 5 I think). The Cauldron was a beautiful hole too. It's going to be a pricy round, but I thought it was worth it. I'll play it again at some point, but I'll give it a few years.

I haven't played the other two (yet), but I've heard a lot of the same comments about Silvertip... that it's a bit goofy. Great views and a fun time, but you've got to be pretty precise with your shots.
                              Callaway Epic 9* Fujikura Pro 62 S
                              Callaway Epic SZ 14* Aldila Rogue Max 75 S
                              Callaway Apex 20* & 23* Hybrid Kuro Kage 80 S
                              Callaway Apex CF16 5-AW True Temper 95 S
                              Scratch 8620 56*, 60* KBS Tour
                              Odyssey O-Works #7

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse