Collapse

Savannah Links

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah Links

I played Savannah Links course just south of Cambridge today and was very impressed. Not a bombers course as it was tight and you needed to keep it in play. Sort of like St Andrew's Valley. It has a failry high slope rating but is shortish (6300) par 71.

Very reasonable rate $43 or somthing like that on the weekend. Around TO it would be about twice this.

Great shape and visually really nice.
    Another courses I like is Copetown Woods but this is much more open to drives and such. Easier.
    Srixon 565/765 irons
    Ping G LSTEC driver 9*
    Ping G fairway 3 wood

Re: Savannah Links

I have played there many a time and think its a great round for the money. I play it 241 and its like $22. I think it requires a little thinking but it most certainly can reward long hitters. I don't like holes like #4 with 90 degree turns anywhere but I hate that hole there. The front can be fairly hard at times like the super long #2, the stupid 90 degree turn #4, 6 with all the water, 7 and 9 uphill. The back is usually a joke. While 12 is pretty tight and 18 is long, 13, 14, 15 are all driveable and i'm pretty sure 13 and 15 are the same hole with maybe a different bunker or two. The par 3's on the back aren't really very hard either once you figure out what club to hit on 17 since you can't really see the green from the tee because of the elevation.

Aside from that it is a pretty course and generally in good condition. I actually have a panaramic picture on my shelf taken standing on the clubhouse deck looking out over the course. The people in the clubhouse and proshop are always nice and like most courses the food is expensive compared to the fee. It never seems to be really busy either. I have played there at least 15 times and have never been paired up with another twosome. If its within an hour of where you live I recommend this place. I doubt you will find anything better than Savannah for less than $45 in the GTA and the Golf Passport book always has coupons there. If you do know somewhere better say so. Most of us are always looking for new places to play.

Comment

Glad you loved the course. I have been telling people about this track for years....Sure there are no practice facilities, but the course is fantastic and in great shape. Target golf is the key here, with the exception of the par fives(and #10), you dont need driver. Just lay it up in the right spot. I love (actually hate!!!) #6, and I think #7 is a great hole from the back tees, especially with the stone wall on the right side of the fairway. I shot my career round there in 2000.

Comment

Savannah is a good course, played there 2 weeks ago and some of their greens are not up to their usual standards. It is visually very appealing and has some good holes on it, the front nine is the key to playing well, the back is easier in my opinion.

Comment

I'm glad you guys like the staff there cause my friends the assistant pro there.

I never cared for this course at all because they built it on 90 achres. Every time I go there someone on another hole is yelling "fore". I feel like I need a hard hat there to keep from getting killed.
          IMHO you need at least 140 achres to build a decent track where every hole isn't well within wayward striking distance as it is at Savannah.

Comment

I agree with you GRT that the course is packed in too tight. Thats how you end up with holes like #4. Even though its less than 100 acres walking that course feels like a 1000. The first time I played there my buddy hit a bad tee shot on 10 that landed on the green on 12. We had no idea there was even a green there. Lack of ability aside its in a terrible place since most people miss to the right. Other holes have areas where shots to the right converge in the same area. I have hit the ball right on 9 and almost got hit by someone who hit the ball right on 8. I've had a few close calls there but I have played worse. I still like that course and thinks its good for the money but I think being able to score fairly low there makes it appealing too.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X