Collapse

Kissimmee FL - course recomendations?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kissimmee FL - course recomendations?

Planning on being there in early April for a conference wouldn't mind playing a couple of rounds any suggestions?

Thanks
    To golf, or not to golf? What a stupid question!

Re: Kissimmee FL - course recomendations?

Originally posted by mirak
    Planning on being there in early April for a conference wouldn't mind playing a couple of rounds any suggestions?

Thanks
    My parents just got back from a month in that area, and they really like Falcon's Fire at Kissimee. They also make a point to drive over to Haines City for both Southern Dunes and Diamondback - my mom especially likes Southern Dunes.

They also think that at about 40 bucks a round and up, the courses are VERY EXPENSIVE. I try not to laugh too hard when they say this.
    Last edited by geekboy; Mar 4, 2008, 04:48 PM.
    Each of us faces a choice in life: We can play golf, or we can drive a little cart.

Me? I prefer to golf.

Comment

Falcon's Fire is the golf course associated with the resort I'm staying, but they have their tee times listed @ $130.00... not $40.00

Where are the $40.00 courses?

Comment

Absolutely. Just got back for the second time this year. BUT, be prepared that the green fees are higher at this time of the year.

Two courses owned by a Canadian boy are Remmington and Kissimmee Bay. Remmington has an all you can eat breakfast and lunch (till 3pm), all you can play policy for $85.00. Check the website, you may get ity for less. Same goes for Kissimmee Bay.

Diamondback is a great course down Highway 27 through Haines City. Go through Haines City to US 544. Turn left and it's about 15 - 20 miles on your left hand side. With a coupon its $67.00 includes lunch.

Then there's Orange County National, Crooked Cat and Panther Lake. This years Q-School held November 2007. Green fees are $139.00 and $149.00 respectively.

Another "must play" course is Ridgewood Lakes. It's also south on Highway 27 towards Haines City, on the left side. You can't miss it because there's a 35 - 40 foot white cross (guess for all the Sunday golfers). It's in the Del Sol resort.

Then there is Kissimmee Oaks just outside of Kissimmee proper. Which is a course nestled in amongst the houses.

A truly beautiful course(s) is Stonegate at Solivita. It has two courses, the Oaks and the Cyprus. With the coupon from Golfers Digest (pick it up in Kissimmee) it will cost $75.00. But if you can, play the Oaks, it the more beautiful of the two.

If you are looking for a link style course, then St. Cloud is a good course.

If you want cheap in both course quality and price, then the two muni courses I recommend would be Lake Orlando (just outside of Orlando to the west) and Mayfair (also on the outskirts to the east). Both I've played for about $30.00 at this time of the year. And not many people on these courses. And, I've found them to be in fairly good shape.

How ever, stay away from Kissimmee Golf Club. It's cheap because its located next door to an airport. And the conditions are not always the best.

Hope I've been of some help. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hit them long & straight.

Hello geekboy. Glad your parents loved Southern Dunes. However, there is a reason the course is called Southern Dunes - 250 sand bunkers.
        Last edited by mavrick; Mar 4, 2008, 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged posts

Comment

Great info mavrick, thanks a lot !!

Comment

Just got back from that area last week. Managed to get in 2 rounds. Played Falcon's Fire and Southern Dunes.

Falcon's Fire has a nice layout with some truly impressive holes, but the green fee was $100+ and I have to say the greens were pretty beat up. Some were truly bumpy and all had brown ball marks everywhere. Lots of tournaments and corporate events go through the course, which probably explains the conditions. The fairways and bunkers were fine and the clubhouse is nice. I didn't have to pay for this round and I was glad I didn't, as the value was not there given the condition of the greens. Carts have fancy GPS (shows distance to pin, hazards, other carts etc.).

Southern Dunes was a great experience from start to finish. Green fee was $120 prime time (there's a $10 off coupon on the website). Goes down for twilight. Course was in immaculate condition in spite of torrential downpours the night before. Almost no standing water. LOTS of bunkers throughout, which come into play on pretty much every hole. The only thing asthetically that was a little off-putting was that cookie cutter houses line almost every fairway (even though it's open to the public, Southern Dunes is part of a gated community). Cheaper options are definitely available, but the course was totally worth it to me. Especially given the fact I was playing golf in February. Carts have basic GPS (distance to front / middle / back of green).

So to sum up. Falcon's Fire has a nice layout, clubhouse and facilities, but the greens were beat up. Southern Dunes was a great course all around. I heard from locals that Orange County National is a great course too, but I ran out of time.
            Home
            Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5*
            TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP 21*
            Ping G425 5-U
            Titleist SM6 58*
            Ping 2021 Anser 2

Away
            TaylorMade R9 SuperTri 10.5*
            TaylorMade R9 5 wood
            Ping G25 5-W
            Titleist SM2 52*, 56*, 60*
            Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 360g

Comment

Originally posted by mirak
              Falcon's Fire is the golf course associated with the resort I'm staying, but they have their tee times listed @ $130.00... not $40.00

Where are the $40.00 courses?

40 dollars and UP. Their words, not mine. They live near Sarnia, so any round of golf above 40 is all a blur to them.

Originally posted by mavrick

Hello geekboy. Glad your parents loved Southern Dunes. However, there is a reason the course is called Southern Dunes - 250 sand bunkers.
              Which is why my mom likes it. She is far more accurate than dad is - and she can take his money every time on a course like that.
              Last edited by geekboy; Mar 4, 2008, 04:51 PM. Reason: Automerged posts
              Each of us faces a choice in life: We can play golf, or we can drive a little cart.

Me? I prefer to golf.

Comment

You can search previous threads on the Orlando area. Depends what you're looking for ie cost vs quality.
                A good suggestion someone posted before is this website called golfnow.com which offers really cheap discounts for last minute bookings or you can use LMG for some of the courses.

Comment

Originally posted by geekboy
                  40 dollars and UP. Their words, not mine. They live near Sarnia, so any round of golf above 40 is all a blur to them.
                  You can't play golf for $40 in the Orlando area.

More realistic pricing will be in the range of $100. Celebration was in phenomenal shape when I was there in Feb. Would I play it again at $150??? Not a chance.

If you're in the Orlando/Kissimmee area Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr, you're going to get reamed as it's the prime season and they see tourists as people that they should fleece for every last penny.

Not saying anything bad about the area, but don't plan on golfing for less than $100/rd - don't go there for golf - stay away from Disney!!!
                  Albert

Oh yeah, sticks:
                  driver - TM 510 TP
                  3 wood - TaylorMade V-steel with some purple shaft
                  3-pw - Mizuno MP-37
                  52* - Nike SV
                  56* - Cleveland 588
                  putter - Yes! Emma
                  home course - somewhere near London... maybe...
                  website - www.akrus.ca

Comment

Originally posted by akrus
                    You can't play golf for $40 in the Orlando area.
                    I beg to differ:
                    http://www.zellwoodgolf.com
                    http://www.golfholes.com/fl/mtdoragc.htm

This was just a quick search. The $40 courses just aren't advertized well.

Comment

Originally posted by corchard
                      I beg to differ:

Slope of 123 from the blues at Zellwood. Didn't even bother looking up the other course after seeing that.

Not to mention the fact the course is about 50 minutes away from Kissimmee (assuming no traffic through Orlando).

I'm assuming the OP is interested in playing GOOD courses... won't find that for $40 near Kissimmee.
                      Last edited by skt07; Mar 5, 2008, 02:41 PM.
                      Home
                      Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5*
                      TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP 21*
                      Ping G425 5-U
                      Titleist SM6 58*
                      Ping 2021 Anser 2

Away
                      TaylorMade R9 SuperTri 10.5*
                      TaylorMade R9 5 wood
                      Ping G25 5-W
                      Titleist SM2 52*, 56*, 60*
                      Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 360g

Comment

Originally posted by skt07
                        Slope of 123 from the blues at Zellwood. Didn't even bother looking up the other course after seeing that.
                        I don't make assumptions on courses based on rating. I've played it and for $40 it is probably one of the better values in the greater Orlando area.

Not to mention the fact the course is about 50 minutes away from Kissimmee (assuming no traffic through Orlando).
                        The 429 will get you there easily in 30-40 min from kissimee. Heck , depending on where your hotel is in Kissimee and the time of day you can easily spend 20 min just getting to the I4.

I'm assuming the OP is interested in playing GOOD courses... won't find that for $40 near Kissimmee.
                        Everyone's definition of "GOOD" is different. I'm just providing information.

Comment

Originally posted by corchard
                          I beg to differ:

I will stand by my comment that you won't find good golf in Kissimmee for $40. If the address ain't Kissimee, it's not in Kissimmee (center of Kissimmee to course address):

Zellwood driving time as per Google Maps - 48 min
                          Zellwood info

Mt. Dora driving time as per Google Maps - 59 min
                          Mt. Dora info

Within Orlando:

Course listing

Seems like a fairly complete listing.

I've been to Orlando (Kissimmee, in particular), 3 times in the past 5 years and I tell ya, $80 is a goat track in that area. Yes, you can drive and get decent golf for $50, but I didn't think the OP wanted to drive all over (especially with traffic in that area) as they specifically listed a city.

$100-$130 courses are more the norm in that area, in my opinion.
                          Albert

Oh yeah, sticks:
                          driver - TM 510 TP
                          3 wood - TaylorMade V-steel with some purple shaft
                          3-pw - Mizuno MP-37
                          52* - Nike SV
                          56* - Cleveland 588
                          putter - Yes! Emma
                          home course - somewhere near London... maybe...
                          website - www.akrus.ca

Comment

Originally posted by akrus
                            I will stand by my comment that you won't find good golf in Kissimmee for $40. If the address ain't Kissimee, it's not in Kissimmee (center of Kissimmee to course address):
                            Fair enough. I guess the key is how long do you want to spend in a car to save money.

Golflink is good but it is based on zip code. Google is better but it doesn't take into account traffic patterns. For example getting to Dubsdread in the heart of Orlando can take you more than an hour from kissimee with any downtown traffic. Getting to Zellwood will almost always take you 40 min because you bypass the city. Getting to OCN will take you 40 min because of all of the construction north of Disney. Getting to southern dunes will only take you 30-40 min because you are heading west and away from the city.

Mirak, I would suggest if you are on a limited time, play close and pay $$$. If you want to save money there are options.

I've been going to Orlando for 10 years of golf vacations and have only played 10% of the courses. My dad has lived there for 12 years and played about 30% of the courses.

Comment

Even if you are staying in Kissimmee, consider driving north on the I-4 about 30-40 minutes. There you will find a number of outstanding value courses such as Black Bear,
                              DeBary and Victoria Hills. Approximately $60/round.
                              Stay thirsty...my friends.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X