Collapse

looks great or plays great?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks great or plays great?

name some courses you think that look great but play "so-so" and the opposite, play great, but are very unassuming.

obviously, we've talk so much about courses that look great and play just as well. I'm trying to find some hidden gems that get over looked by flashier peers with big budgets and dramatic lands.

Re: looks great or plays great?

2 flashy courses that look great but play so so that come to mind are copper creek and grandview. Under rated course that plays really tough is highland gate, can kick you in the gonads if you don't hit straight.

Comment

One course that I've found that plays very nicely but visually is very unassuming is Mayfield. And it's normally not very crowded during the week. With all the rain so far this season, there should be no problem with condition. When it's dry, it's reallydry though! One of my fav courses in that area, and the price is very reasonable.
      U. S. Air Force, Retired

Comment

I definitely agree about Grandview.

Also Tangle Creek...ugh...some of the dumbest holes ever on that course.
        Putter: Ben Hogan "The Hawk" BHB11 by Bettinardi
        Driver: Callaway FT-I
        Woods: Mizuno Forged T-Zoid 3 wood, Ben Hogan C455 5 wood
        Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5
        Wedges: Callaway X-12 gap wedge, Cleveland Tour Action 588 BeCu sand wedge, Cleveland Tour Action 900 lob wedge

***Most clubs have been SWANKtified***

Comment

Glen Abbey is on top of my list of 'looks great; but plays so-so'.

Heathland is my 'looks nothing special, but plays great and fun'.

Comment

Originally posted by Clevelandfan
            Under rated course that plays really tough is highland gate, can kick you in the gonads if you don't hit straight.
            Absolutely. Any type of shank to the left or the right of the fairway and you're in someone's backyard! Very frustrating course.

Comment

Plays great but doesn't look so great - Newcastle GC and the price is so cheap. $40 on weekends.

The course is in great condition this year. If you are looking for somewhere new this year I suggest you check it out.

PS Anyone interested in playing can contact me because I'm always willing to go there.

Comment

I agree...visually Highland Gate is horrible for some (houses, cramped feeling), but for your game, it has great strategies off the tee and forces you to manage your game.

Grand Niagara...new style course that looks okay, but is quite boring in play for some reason.

obviously hard to get onto, but Essex in Windsor is another gem...flat land, very unassuming from the road, but when you play it, it really challenges your game.

Comment

About once a month I'll go out to Highland Gate mid-day on a weekday between classes with a box of cheap balls and shoot 3-4 balls per hole to practice my game.

One of these days I'm going to smash someone's window though, I just know it. I've come close a bunch of times... that's for sure.

Comment

Kedron Dells......looks OK, but is a really good track.
                    WHAT SITS ON MY CLIC-GEAR
                    Alpha Golf C830.4 SP700 Plasma 10* Platinum 65 gr
                    Alpha Golf Version 5 3wd 15* Platinum 65gr
                    Alpha Golf C830 19* Platinum 60 gr
                    Alpha C2 Fly 4- G/W Platinum 60 gr
                    Snake Eyes 675 WB 54* & 58* FST 90 gr
                    Heavy Putter A1 33"
                    " The secret is in the dirt "....... Ben Hogan

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse