/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Where Should The Canadian Open Go To Next?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobogo View Post

Overly simple comment but the majority of people in the lower mainland are to pre-occupied smoking doobies or vaping and doing lots of outdoorsy things themselves then dropping money to watch other people play golf.

This isn't the Olympics
    Tru dat.
    When I was transferred out here in 1992....I asked some of the guys in the office if they wanted to go watch the Blue Jays World Series at a nearby bar....NOT ONE taker....WTF.

Most of the Grey Cups hosted here are not sold out.

They announced about 14,000 fans at the Lions games here...but some games it looks more like 9,000 fans.

The 2005 and 2011 CO's were not really well attended here.

Yet, the Pride parade here can attract 500,000 to 650,000 spectators.....WTF.

Traffic flowed well here during the Olympics....traffic was a bit less driving to the office in the morning...I was really shocked.

Comment

I believe the privates receive a 'rental/lease' payment for hosting a CO???
      If yes, approx how much and is it paid by the PGA tour or Golf Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by TruthHurts View Post

They jumped through all of Golf Canada’s hoops and then didn’t get the event. I believe it went as far as a press conference being scheduled that was abruptly cancelled. Next thing you knew other venues were in the mix
        Disappointing. There seem to be so few venues willing and/or able to host an Open. You would think Golf Canada would move mountains to avoid alienating a single one. I doubt the membership at St. George’s is going to keep bending over for Golf Canada...

Comment

It’s disappointing Golf Canada didn’t go to Laval in 2017 or would give Shaughnessy another chance. The issue is they promote the hell out of it in Toronto, but didn’t really do much for 2011 and 2014. And with a concert, you’d be able to attract a decent sized audience in Vancouver I’d think with the right promo

Comment

I believe the main sponsors tend to dictate where the Canadian Open will be played.

Comment

Canada also seems to lack properties with 36 holes that can be reconfigured to host tour caliber sized events. I can't actually think of any in the GTA other than Angus Glen.

That beign said the PGA was at harding park which is not much bigger than 150 acres.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                I believe the privates receive a 'rental/lease' payment for hosting a CO???
                If yes, approx how much and is it paid by the PGA tour or Golf Canada?
                The shaw was i believe 250k. Not the same i know but still a big event.

Comment

Originally posted by AdiosAmigo View Post

The shaw was i believe 250k. Not the same i know but still a big event.
                  I know it's not the PGA tour, but that's peanuts....I think the LPGA doesn't pay anything???....limited funds.

Comment

Thumbs up to Devils Pulpit
                    WITB:
                    Driver: Taylormade M3 10.5 deg - Project X Evenflow 6.0 65g
                    3 Wood: Taylormade M2 15 deg - Motore Speeder VC 7.2
                    Hybrid: TBD
                    Irons: Srixon 585 5-PW - Nippon GH 980S
                    Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50-56-60
                    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab #3, 33"

Comment

This is a terrible suggestion financially, but the correct answer to the OP question is Cabot Cliffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wierd View Post
                        This is a terrible suggestion financially, but the correct answer to the OP question is Cabot Cliffs.
                        Great course but zero to no infrastructure for hosting a tournament of that size. Location would be a huge detriment also.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                        X