/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Which courses for beginner in Burlington and surrounding area?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arogal View Post

Yep! I usually play bigger courses (Mystic, Copetown, Legends etc)....but always love playing Burly Springs. It's not a tough track by any means, its just a ton of fun!
    My dad knew Larry B...so played there quite a bit in the early 70's as a kid...sometimes Larry comp'd us too...thank you.
    I enjoyed playing there and getting a hamburger/fries or Western sandwich.
    On a biz trip in 2007...I stayed over the weekend and played BS....even went upstairs to the office to say hi to Larry.....he was still driving old and big Cadillac.

Comment

Originally posted by spas1 View Post

I never even heard of this place - thanks for mentioning it - I might try and take the family out there and give it a try....
      I try to play here at the start of the season to work on my short game. All Par 3s and most of the holes are around 90 - 120 yards, except the last one. The first time I went out one of the regulars said "All of the yardage signs are 10 yards long; take one club less than it says." After a couple of holes of hitting balls into the woods behind the green, I finally heeded his advice. If you have a GPS watch, it will show you the proper yardages.

I haven't been there this year, but last year they had issues with their greens dying, so putting was a bit of a mess. It is a great course for beginners, though, and hopefully they've resolved the green issue.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post

All Par 3s and most of the holes are around 90 - 120 yards, except the last one.
        Re: Burlington Springs.... Don't think any of the par 3s play under 100, but they certainly play shorter than the scorecard indicates. Most play 130-ish from the whites, and #17 plays about 145. And yep, a lot of the par 4s and 5s are short too. White tees play just 5600-5700 yards.
        – Greg

Comment

I like to take my daughter to Millcroft later in the day. Probably the key anywhere. Try to go out later in the day when the course isn’t as busy.

Comment

Originally posted by synergy View Post

Re: Burlington Springs.... Don't think any of the par 3s play under 100, but they certainly play shorter than the scorecard indicates. Most play 130-ish from the whites, and #17 plays about 145. And yep, a lot of the par 4s and 5s are short too. White tees play just 5600-5700 yards.
            Sorry, I was referring to Buncrana on Hwy 8 near Sheffield.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaconator View Post

Sorry, I was referring to Buncrana on Hwy 8 near Sheffield.
              No, I'm sorry. I misread your earlier post.
              – Greg

Comment

There is a little 9 hole course that is really good for beginners - http://www.apollovalley.com/ - wide open and usually free from other prying eyes
                And only $12 for 9 holes (taxes in!).
                And even more remote than Buncrana.

Comment

Originally posted by kimi View Post
                  There is a little 9 hole course that is really good for beginners - http://www.apollovalley.com/ - wide open and usually free from other prying eyes
                  And only $12 for 9 holes (taxes in!).
                  And even more remote than Buncrana.

Thanks for the recommendation. I took my 9-year-old daughter today and had a great time. It’s a fun little course.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X