VARYING TYPES OF AERATION??

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VARYING TYPES OF AERATION??

Hey all,

It's apparent that courses seem to use varying styles and processes when greens need to be aerated before the season winds down...

A convenient course I play often in the area, Puslinch Lakes which also happens to be one of those that is very inexpensive to play, has some of the best greens in the area, rivalling those of private and premium courses - They aerated about 2 weeks ago, with finer aeration marks, much farther apart than most and your putts are barely impacted...

Then we have the other extreme, just finished playing Rebel Creek, a very premium (GolfNorth owned) course, and they must have done their aeration over the past week, wide holes, tightly patterned and filled with sand. Needless to say, any putt outside of 3' would not hold it's line and frankly wasn't worth the price of admission...

I presume there are multiple reasons why a course picks a form of aeration vs. what other courses do. I'm sure the type of machinery they have, how well they have cared for their greens over the season, the level of abuse they've seen per number of rounds, etc.

Anyone have a definitive rationale as to what determines aeration 'quality'?

Just curious, I get it that it must be done, but a wide degree of inconsistencies as to how it is executed.

Thank you,

- Ian
    TM Qi10 Ruby Red 460 Driver 9.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM BRNR Mini-Driver 11.5D* (Fujikura Vista Pro 55S)

TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Fairway 15.0D (Fujikura Vista Pro 65S)
    TM Stealth 2 Plus 3 Hybrid 19.5D (Fujikura Vista Pro HB 70S)
    TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
    TM My TP Soto Silver and Black Putters
    * (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol
    TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
    TM Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Red)
    TM TP5 Golf Ball
    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS
    Bushnell ProX3 Laser Rangefinder

(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)

Originally posted by tarrantian View Post
    Hey all,

It's apparent that courses seem to use varying styles and processes when greens need to be aerated before the season winds down...

A convenient course I play often in the area, Puslinch Lakes which also happens to be one of those that is very inexpensive to play, has some of the best greens in the area, rivalling those of private and premium courses - They aerated about 2 weeks ago, with finer aeration marks, much farther apart than most and your putts are barely impacted...

Then we have the other extreme, just finished playing Rebel Creek, a very premium (GolfNorth owned) course, and they must have done their aeration over the past week, wide holes, tightly patterned and filled with sand. Needless to say, any putt outside of 3' would not hold it's line and frankly wasn't worth the price of admission...

I presume there are multiple reasons why a course picks a form of aeration vs. what other courses do. I'm sure the type of machinery they have, how well they have cared for their greens over the season, the level of abuse they've seen per number of rounds, etc.

Anyone have a definitive rationale as to what determines aeration 'quality'?

Just curious, I get it that it must be done, but a wide degree of inconsistencies as to how it is executed.

Thank you,

- Ian
    I don’t really know the answer to your question, but have one anecdote. The course where I play the most originally had bent greens which after 35 years are now a mix of bent and poa grasses. Two years ago a new practice green was built with all new bent. The poa / bent greens were all aerated over the last two weeks with large holes and filled with sand. The new bent practice green was aerated in the spring with small tines that healed in a week. No fall aeration for bent green. I was told that in this case the different grasses determines the style of aeration.

Comment

Soil type, turf species, superintendent’s preference, and equipment availability would be the most common reasons.
      Most supers have a percentage of material they like to remove per year, so that would determine frequency and tine style/size.

Comment

I have a tee time for Rebel Creek on Wednesday, should I give it a swerve?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jass View Post
          Love the course, but any putt over 3’ is problematic with their version OS aeration.

TM Stealth Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110S) (4-LW) Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
          TM My Spider Tour X3 Putter* (Custom / KBS Black PVD) - SuperStroke Zenergy Pistol GT 1.0
          TM TP5 Golf Ball
          Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
          SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

I will try answer your question for you.

Aerifying greens is a process of removing a core from the green to reduce compaction, remove thatch, allow for a material exchange, and allow water and air to move through the surface better.

Thatch - layer created at surface that becomes like a brillo pad of grass, roots and organic matter

Material exchange - removing layer of organic matter that builds up just beneath surface.

When you remove a core or plug , you add top dressing to replace that area that has been removed. The superintendent can choose the size of tines being used to remove the core, and also the spacing between the holes. The newer machines allows the operator to change the settings with ease.

As far as putting post aeration, it usually depends on the amount of topdress used that fills in the holes afterwards that determines whether the green is bumpy or somewhat smooth. I have seen large tine aeration with a proper topdress be reasonable to putt on and some small tine aeration with too little topdress be bumpy. The art is knowing how much topdress is needed and when or how many applications is needed. The weather like rain, can impact these things as well.

Hopefully this may help. I added a picture of a few of the different tines from Toro.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Hit n try to find it; Oct 25, 2020, 07:24 AM. Reason: Hit post by accident

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Jass View Post
              I played Rebel this past wonderfully-warm Friday ( 2nd group out ) , and the greens we as Ian described , so doubt they will be healed up for you by Wednesday. That said I did unexpectedly snag a few birdies, but a bumpy ride to the hole for sure. I'm not too picky at this time of season and just happy to be out.
              🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
              Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
              Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
              Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
              Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
              Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
              Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
              Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

A good read:
                  Jim Arthur’s protege Gordon Irvine, as part of the celebration of the centenary of the great man’s birth, sets out to explain the principles of  Conservation Greenkeeping as laid out in Jim’s book ‘Practical Greenkeeping’ (available from the  R&A online shop).   Jim Arthur’s five Conservation Greenkeeping principles:   1). Grass species “In the […]

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post

I played Rebel this past wonderfully-warm Friday ( 2nd group out ) , and the greens we as Ian described , so doubt they will be healed up for you by Wednesday. That said I did unexpectedly snag a few birdies, but a bumpy ride to the hole for sure. I'm not too picky at this time of season and just happy to be out.
                  Thank you and OP for the heads up.

I wouldn't normally be as picky either but I'm taking a day off work to play and it's about an hour from home, and there's 30+ other courses closer that we could go to. My buddy will be travelling by there tomorrow so he'll have a gander.

To keep on the subject, played Glen Abbey a few weeks back and they had punched the greens and they were smooth and true, smaller holes that seem to have been 'rolled' a few times to flatten bumps.

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post

I generally accept it as a necessary evil, and I’ve played my 100 rounds for the year so it is what it is...

The problem is my regular foursome decided to do a year-end competition, 4 rounds at 4 different courses - Thankfully our tourney ended today at Puslinch where the greens are beautiful...

Just happy to be golfing!!

TM TP5 Golf Ball
                    Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                    SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Originally posted by Hit n try to find it View Post
                      I will try answer your question for you.

Aerifying greens is a process of removing a core from the green to reduce compaction, remove thatch, allow for a material exchange, and allow water and air to move through the surface better.

Thatch - layer created at surface that becomes like a brillo pad of grass, roots and organic matter

Material exchange - removing layer of organic matter that builds up just beneath surface.

When you remove a core or plug , you add top dressing to replace that area that has been removed. The superintendent can choose the size of tines being used to remove the core, and also the spacing between the holes. The newer machines allows the operator to change the settings with ease.

As far as putting post aeration, it usually depends on the amount of topdress used that fills in the holes afterwards that determines whether the green is bumpy or somewhat smooth. I have seen large tine aeration with a proper topdress be reasonable to putt on and some small tine aeration with too little topdress be bumpy. The art is knowing how much topdress is needed and when or how many applications is needed. The weather like rain, can impact these things as well.

Hopefully this may help. I added a picture of a few of the different tines from Toro.
                      This was excellent BTW, thank you!!

TM TP5 Golf Ball
                      Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                      SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Some good reading material... short answer, the bigger the tine and the smaller the spacing (more holes) the more material and Organic matter that will be removed, therefore diluting thatch. Too much thatch = soft greens that can become hydrophobic and therefore not perform. Prime example would be Oakmont has arguably the best poa greens in the world and they aerate like crazy. "In the last two growing seasons, the putting greens at Oakmont Country Club have been double drilled-and-filled four times, core aerated five times, deep verticut five times and deep-tine aerated four times." Obviously in a public or for profit business world this is not feasible for most courses so we try to only limit listening to the whining to one or two times a year
                        Why do courses aerate their greens? Our USGA Green Section staff provides those key answers.

Comment

Originally posted by surette23 View Post
                          Some good reading material... short answer, the bigger the tine and the smaller the spacing (more holes) the more material and Organic matter that will be removed, therefore diluting thatch. Too much thatch = soft greens that can become hydrophobic and therefore not perform. Prime example would be Oakmont has arguably the best poa greens in the world and they aerate like crazy. "In the last two growing seasons, the putting greens at Oakmont Country Club have been double drilled-and-filled four times, core aerated five times, deep verticut five times and deep-tine aerated four times." Obviously in a public or for profit business world this is not feasible for most courses so we try to only limit listening to the whining to one or two times a year
                          Why do courses aerate their greens? Our USGA Green Section staff provides those key answers.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...-aeration.html
                          LOL - Yes, I've been much better on the whining front, accepting the necessary evil of this process...

I find the process variability of this facinating, you're simply dealing with a living, breathing entity where there are a multitude of rules per micro-climates, grass-type, soils and profitability.

There is a word in the wine world - 'Terroir', which essentially means the sense of place where grapes are grown and how it impacts the final product...

Kind of seems like the same in the golf world.

TM TP5 Golf Ball
                          Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart
                          SkyCaddie SX550 GPS

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                          X