Collapse

Royal Woodbine

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having recently joined Royal Woodbine, here's my assessment of the course:

1. For me, at least, the course plays longer than its stated yardage. That's because the various water holes and other water courses often demand that one lay up off the tee. As a result, the next shot may be longer than one might have hoped.

2. Strategy is king here. The course puts a premium on ball placement. If you spray the ball or if you're out of position, you're dead. That includes shots into the greens.

3. The greens are in very good shape. Their undulations demand thoughtful putting. I like that.

4. The fairways are tight. Unlike fairways where the grass has been cut longer, the golf ball has to be struck crisply, otherwise disappointment will follow.

5. The bunkers, while strategically located, need more sand. In a lot of spots, the subsurface is firm to hard with only a bit of loose sand covering that. As a result, if an explosion shot is played in a conventional fashion, you'll likely blade the ball. That said, using a 58 degree wedge with only 9 or 10 degrees of bounce, and squaring up the face of the club, balls can be successfully extracated.

6. Curiously, Golf Canada rates this course much easier than Trafalgar, where I used to play. It isn't. Not by a long shot. I used to score regular between 73 and 75 at Trafalgar. I'm ecstatic when I do so at RW, but GC's handicapping system indicates that those scores are mediocre at best.

Only 15 minutes from the condo, I'm glad I joined. Hopefully, I'll dial it in before I have to call it a season.

Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

They had it cleared of goose crap when we played yesterday. The greens were in very good shape, most fairways were also in good shape - a few had seen better days - but many bunkers were in bad shape.
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
      Having recently joined Royal Woodbine, here's my assessment of the course:

1. For me, at least, the course plays longer than its stated yardage. That's because the various water holes and other water courses often demand that one lay up off the tee. As a result, the next shot may be longer than one might have hoped.

2. Strategy is king here. The course puts a premium on ball placement. If you spray the ball or if you're out of position, you're dead. That includes shots into the greens.

3. The greens are in very good shape. Their undulations demand thoughtful putting. I like that.

4. The fairways are tight. Unlike fairways where the grass has been cut longer, the golf ball has to be struck crisply, otherwise disappointment will follow.

5. The bunkers, while strategically located, need more sand. In a lot of spots, the subsurface is firm to hard with only a bit of loose sand covering that. As a result, if an explosion shot is played in a conventional fashion, you'll likely blade the ball. That said, using a 58 degree wedge with only 9 or 10 degrees of bounce, and squaring up the face of the club, balls can be successfully extracated.

6. Curiously, Golf Canada rates this course much easier than Trafalgar, where I used to play. It isn't. Not by a long shot. I used to score regular between 73 and 75 at Trafalgar. I'm ecstatic when I do so at RW, but GC's handicapping system indicates that those scores are mediocre at best.

Only 15 minutes from the condo, I'm glad I joined. Hopefully, I'll dial it in before I have to call it a season.
      Thanks for this review and glad ur enjoying RW, and u can't beat 15 mins drive
      Just to ask, any trouble getting tee times for members and overall, how busy the course is and how long it takes for a round ?
      I can get there with 2 buses, so not that bad, but Braeben is much closer.
      All best and cheers !

Comment

Given that members can book 14 days ahead, it hasn't been a real problem securing early tee times, especially since I've hooked up with two long term members, who have included me in their group.

The course is busy. That said, early tee times should see one play well within 4 hours, if slow moving non-members have managed to get early times as well. Later in the day, rounds can be slow. I played in the afternoon a while back. The round took nearly 5 hours.

Originally posted by veryold View Post
        Thanks for this review and glad ur enjoying RW, and u can't beat 15 mins drive
        Just to ask, any trouble getting tee times for members and overall, how busy the course is and how long it takes for a round ?
        I can get there with 2 buses, so not that bad, but Braeben is much closer.
        All best and cheers !

Comment

My friend is one of the managers of the course. Sand bunker issues are well known and communicated to ownership. Not sure if they will do anything about it:< I've played several there several times this year and, aside from the bunker issue, conditioning is generally pretty good and the greens are usually excellent. I enjoy the challenges the course presents. Definitely have to be in control of your tee shots as wayward shots are heavily penalized. That's likely why most people don't like it. It can eat you up in a hurry if you don't hit it straight or are not strategic in how you tackle the course. Anyway, I play there fairly regularly and hopefully we'll cross paths.Enjoy the rest of the season.
          Proud member of the Prune Juice Army.

Comment

Played last week, 1/4 of the tee boxes were torn up and one was just sand I couldn't even get a tee into. Not worth the price just wanted to get a round in. Greens were half decent, the fairways were the same as they always are when I play there, half under repair half concrete.
            Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X
            3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X
            3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX
            Irons: 4-6 PXG 0311P 7-W 0317CB | DG120X
            Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.8F|54.10S|58.8M
            Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K
            TP5X 2024
            Ghost Katana

Comment

hey guys - any recent conditions updates? looking to play this week for the first time in years.

Comment

Originally posted by ktrainor73 View Post
                hey guys - any recent conditions updates? looking to play this week for the first time in years.
                Played this past weekend for the first time ever, and reading this thread after I'm surprised. I thought that the fairways and greens were all in great shape. Tee boxes were pretty good, especially for a busy public track. One complaint would be the bunkers, they definitely could use a bit more sand but it wasn't the worst I've played.

Overall thought it was a solid course with pretty good conditions. Would probably be $75 + cart if it was an extra half hour away, so given the location $120 with a cart doesn't seem so outrageous. Also just to echo some of the comments above, there are 2 small hitting nets above the 18th green and there's a practice green.

Comment

thanks. above comments were from last year - good to hear conditions have improved.

Comment

To me it's the airplanes that make it a not $120 course, or barely a $75 course, but I gather flight paths can vary depending on wind direction and some days they are not constantly overhead?

Comment

When i joined, i thought that the planes would be an issue. I don't even notice them anymore. What has my attention is how challenging the course can play. If you're not precise, your patience could be tested. Enjoy.

Originally posted by midlifecrisis View Post
                      To me it's the airplanes that make it a not $120 course, or barely a $75 course, but I gather flight paths can vary depending on wind direction and some days they are not constantly overhead?

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                        When i joined, i thought that the planes would be an issue. I don't even notice them anymore. What has my attention is how challenging the course can play. If you're not precise, your patience could be tested. Enjoy.

I joined for one year, last year. I loved the course, and the challenge. I just couldn’t justify continuing the membership as time to play became an issue for myself. $120 with a cart for a golf course in that location is a good deal, regardless of planes.

Comment

Took my son to RW last week for Father's day. We enjoyed the course. Fun, no two holes are similar, water in play on most holes so you must think your way around.
                          One complaint was the tee boxes. Some in very poor condition.
                          Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV blue 55 s
                          Ping G425 5 wood
                          Ping G425 7 wood

Ping G425 4 Hybrid
                          Srixon Z 785 irons - Nippon Modus 120 s
                          Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
                          Bettinardi Queen B6

Tour B RXS Golf Balls - yellow
                          hcp- 6

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews