Collapse

Photo tour of the “Low Country”

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post

He’s been banned for awhile, might have been permanent.
    Didn't realize that. No idea why, but it's a shame. He brought some interesting perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by mjmtengu View Post

Hi bcamp.

Why Hilton Head instead of further North say MB (e.g. South MB - Pawley's Island). There are 2 Mike Stranz courses around there for example.

Cheers.
      I'm not Bcamp, and Weirfan likely has even better insight than I but.... I have been to both, and they are very different.

MB is cheaper and I believe has more public access options which can be good. That said, if you can gain access to private clubs it's not close. I'm not even a HT fan but there are so many elite private clubs in the HH area it isn't funny. Many are not on the island but some are. Long Cove is fantastic. Haig Point and Session are both very good courses, but even cooler places. The strip in Bluffton has about 6 great private tracks. It's really endless down there.

Much more low key and classier as well.

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

Didn't realize that. No idea why, but it's a shame. He brought some interesting perspective.
        What do you have to do to get permanently banned around here?

Comment

Originally posted by High cut View Post

I'm not Bcamp, and Weirfan likely has even better insight than I but.... I have been to both, and they are very different.

MB is cheaper and I believe has more public access options which can be good. That said, if you can gain access to private clubs it's not close. I'm not even a HT fan but there are so many elite private clubs in the HH area it isn't funny. Many are not on the island but some are. Long Cove is fantastic. Haig Point and Session are both very good courses, but even cooler places. The strip in Bluffton has about 6 great private tracks. It's really endless down there.

Much more low key and classier as well.
          Also not Bcamp but have been to both destinations many times. Myrtle as High cut says, has more public access options although there is no shortage of very good , public access courses in HH and the area either.

Two very different destinations and vibes. Perhaps the best way to compare would be to say that MB is like Wasaga Beach and Hilton Head like an upscale, Muskoka Lake community. Myrtle is quite commercialized and can be downright tacky. Hilton Head is more of, for lack of better words "refined" community. My experience was MB lacked quality dining and HH has tons of great places to eat in all price ranges.

Did MB a lot based on discount pricing and the volume of courses. Used to be well over 100 but now I think its less than 90. Great place for a boys trip to whoop it up and play some stick. They used to call MB " The Golf Capital of the World "

Hilton and immediate surrounding area has about 30 public access courses and as was stated above several excellent private ones. Its usually on the list of top world golf destinations.

Both have magnificent beaches to enjoy, HH is just a bit nicer destination all round.
          In MB, my preference has always been the courses North in Calabash ( Oyster Bay, Pearl, Tidewater) and to the South ...Pawleys plantation etc.

cant go wrong with either, just depends on what your group is looking for in a golf trip.

pricing at both places, like with all golf destinations has gone up since c19.

back in the day we would go the Myrtle and get 5 days and 5 nights in a good, high-rise hotel, often a 2 bedroom suite, 5 rounds of golf ( cart fee extra) , free breakfast daily for $179USD

"Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

Also not Bcamp but have been to both destinations many times. Myrtle as High cut says, has more public access options although there is no shortage of very good , public access courses in HH and the area either.

Two very different destinations and vibes. Perhaps the best way to compare would be to say that MB is like Wasaga Beach and Hilton Head like an upscale, Muskoka Lake community. Myrtle is quite commercialized and can be downright tacky. Hilton Head is more of, for lack of better words "refined" community. My experience was MB lacked quality dining and HH has tons of great places to eat in all price ranges.

Did MB a lot based on discount pricing and the volume of courses. Used to be well over 100 but now I think its less than 90. Great place for a boys trip to whoop it up and play some stick. They used to call MB " The Golf Capital of the World "

Hilton and immediate surrounding area has about 30 public access courses and as was stated above several excellent private ones. Its usually on the list of top world golf destinations.

Both have magnificent beaches to enjoy, HH is just a bit nicer destination all round.
            In MB, my preference has always been the courses North in Calabash ( Oyster Bay, Pearl, Tidewater) and to the South ...Pawleys plantation etc.

cant go wrong with either, just depends on what your group is looking for in a golf trip.

pricing at both places, like with all golf destinations has gone up since c19.

back in the day we would go the Myrtle and get 5 days and 5 nights in a good, high-rise hotel, often a 2 bedroom suite, 5 rounds of golf ( cart fee extra) , free breakfast daily for $179USD
            Great overview.

Why did I know it would be better than mine

Comment

Thanks everyone. We are staying on Pawley's Island which is just south of MB. I hope the weather is decent.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X