/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Wildfire smoke impacts on golf – hazy future?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wildfire smoke impacts on golf – hazy future?

Let me say right up front that the impacts of wildfires on golf comes well down the list of impacts from the increased incidence and severity of wildfires. The loss of life, property damage, sometimes encompassing entire communities, associated health issues, costs of firefighting and environmental damage associated with these is not to be minimalized or trivialized. And golf of course is only one of the outdoor activities affected.

But this is a golf forum, so here goes….This past summer was a particularly severe wildfire season across many parts of North America, and even into the Hawaiian Islands. Wildfire smoke was often very widespread, intense and inescapable across the continent. Where I play, Cedar Brae, closed for the better part of a day over potential health concerns for players and staff. There were also questions about whether the 2023 Canadian Open and the Rocky Mortgage Classic held in Detroit might be temporarily stopped due to wildfire smoke Detroit golf fans turn out despite poor air quality, smoke (usatoday.com)

Two years ago, the PGA Tour adopted an air-quality policy after smoke from California wildfires made it hard to see balls in flight at the Barracuda Championship near Tahoe. That’s when the AQI index threshold of 300 was established, allowing the tournament’s chief referee to suspend play when it stays above 300 for a sustained period.
    These pictures of golf courses in smoke-infused haze are perfect for your next golf apocalypse movie | This is the Loop | GolfDigest.com

Beyond actual golf club closures, at the height of some of the worst intrusions of wildfire smoke this past season, public health agencies issued numerous warnings, recommending people stay indoors and avoid strenuous outdoor activities.

Experts are saying the number and severity of wildfires this past season is not an anomaly but rather just an indicator of a worsening situation. The Toronto Star is publishing a series of articles on the issue
    Unfightable fires, wildfires that make their own weather and other terrifying trends scientists have observed
    As the country comes to grips with what scientists say is a new normal, here are some things they’ve learned or observed in recent years that in some cases surprised even them.
    • [*=1]the scale and intensity of these fires is increasing at a rate that is unprecedented and was not expected to happen until 2050. [*=1]They are happening in places where they have not happened before [*=1]and many are so large and heat intensive that they are beyond management and suppression.
    Five emerging wildfire trends scientists have observed (thestar.com)

So far, the impacts around the GTA have been largely negligible. Some annoying haze in the air – a bit of a sore throat one smoky day - I carted on another day with a health warning to avoid a bit of exertion on a hilly course, and my home course closed for a half day.

But what about the future if this continue to get worse, as predicted? More courses closed on really bad days? Tournaments cancelled, postponed or cut short? Increased risk of health issues from golf in heavy smoke periods - particularly among the more vulnerable? Might this become the norm? Are "smoke" alerts going to become as commonly unpredictable as "frost delays"?

Golf may be the least of our concerns under some of these scenarios.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

This last summer was the first in my 30 years of golfing to experience this. I've experienced and played through haboobs in Arizona, one was quite bad where we couldn't see much more than 200 yards.

I worked at my course and played in a couple GTA AM events during the worst of the smoke days. I wore an N95 mask for my 9-10 hours of outside work at the golf course but didn't in my events and walked both.

It didn't seem to deter anyone as the course was jammed as always.

I'm not convinced that this will be a regular thing, probably not a one off either even though this was the first time I can remember it ever being an issue in the GTA.

We have however had air quality warnings for air pollution many times. Those who are vulnerable , with respiratory issues have been dealing with that so the smoke from wildfires might make that challenge greater
    "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Think this could have worked under the climate change thread. the fires are def an output of changing climate conditions around the world. The potential for more such days in the future is there.
      I worry more about extended periods of high heat vs. Air pollution - relative to where we reside in the gta.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
        Think this could have worked under the climate change thread. the fires are def an output of changing climate conditions around the world. The potential for more such days in the future is there.
        I worry more about extended periods of high heat vs. Air pollution - relative to where we reside in the gta.
        I think we have to worry about both.

While some days are really hot and humid for golf, I felt a real health threat from all that smoke.

So much so that I didn't get out on my bike on a couple of days in June - it looked like a dense fog.

The smoke spreads so far too. We were being hit from big fires just S of James Bay in ON and QC. They were bad enough to even affect golfers in Kirkland Lake. I think Chambo said it cost them 1 of their 3 days of summer!

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

I don't recall the impacts being to great on my life. I postponed a couple of things but nothing of any significance.
          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I think we have to worry about both.

While some days are really hot and humid for golf, I felt a real health threat from all that smoke.

So much so that I didn't get out on my bike on a couple of days in June - it looked like a dense fog.

The smoke spreads so far too. We were being hit from big fires just S of James Bay in ON and QC. They were bad enough to even affect golfers in Kirkland Lake. I think Chambo said it cost them 1 of their 3 days of summer!
            the funny thing . . . as close as some of the fires were we didn't get too much smoke.

2 weeks ago they were complaining in Florida about the Quebec fires but we didn't hear anything here in Canada . . . how does the smokes gets there is strange . . .
            If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Can't say the smoke impacted any of my activities this year. Yes there were days when one could smell the smoke, and the skies were soemwhat foggy, but fortunately nothing more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chambokl View Post

the funny thing . . . as close as some of the fires were we didn't get too much smoke.

2 weeks ago they were complaining in Florida about the Quebec fires but we didn't hear anything here in Canada . . . how does the smokes gets there is strange . . .

Its all part of the Blame Canada movement.

Why Is There so Much Smoke in Florida's Air? Blame Canadian Wildfires

Why Is There so Much Smoke in Florida's Air? Blame Canadian Wildfires (newsweek.com)

Not sure how it got there, but I hear Governor DeSantis wants to pack it up and have it flown back here.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                X