Who is gaming PXi shafts in their irons

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is gaming PXi shafts in their irons

Ok nuts,

So I'm contemplating changing to PXi shafts in my irons. Only set that I could demo was the 2013 Callaway X forged and the shafts felt great. Compared the X forged, 2014 Taylormade CB and the AP2's. The X forged were the longest of the group which I believe has to be due to the shafts.

Not much on these over the last year so who is gaming them and what are your thoughts?

thanks
    Driver: Cobra F8+ with Chrome Elements 6F4
    3 wood: Cobra F6 with Chrome Elements 6F4
    5 wood Cobra F7
    4 thru GW - Callaway Apex CF16
    56 and 60 - Cleveland RTX 3 CB
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
    Bag: Callaway Org 14 Cart Bag

Re: Who is gaming PXi shafts in their irons

Originally posted by sdavis33 View Post
    Not much on these over the last year so who is gaming them and what are your thoughts?
    Distance in irons is over-rated, especially on scoring clubs. You only need consistent yardage gaps club-2-club with laser accuracy / less dispersion
    Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
    Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
    Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Ok nuts,

So I'm contemplating changing to PXi shafts in my irons. Only set that I could demo was the 2013 Callaway X forged and the shafts felt great. Compared the X forged, 2014 Taylormade CB and the AP2's. The X forged were the longest of the group which I believe has to be due to the shafts.

thanks

Not gaming them, play the original satin PX in one of my iron sets.

Check the posted lofts on the iron heads you tried and see if the X forged were lower which could account for the difference in distance.

I agree with Harry that outright distance is a tertiary considertion in the irons. IMO, Distance control trumps all, follwed by accuracy and tajectory control in the shorter irons.

That said, if those conditions are met and the distance is also greater then....
      "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

No difference in dispersion of shots, shot shape was the exact same. They felt good on my average swing and when I really went after it.

I will check the lofts on the 3 but believe the X forged are the only one of the 3 that doesn't de-loft their irons from standard.
        5 wood Cobra F7

Comment

Just checked lofts of the 6 irons as that was what I was hitting

Callaway X forged - 30*

Titliest AP2 714 - 29*

2014 TM CB - 28.5*

Lofts do not account for the fact that I was hitting these longer as it should actually be the other way around.

Agree that distance is only one of the components and was also looking at shot dispersion, shot shape, launch angles and spin rate. All were favourable to the X forged.
          5 wood Cobra F7

Comment

This is no knock on the OP because "gaming" has become part of the current vernacular on many discussion boards. I never understood the term "gaming" as it is used to describe the use of a golf club, shaft, grip, whatever. Does one also "game" their shoes, shirt, glove, hat and belt?

When you practise, do you also "game" your clubs? Do you "game" your Remington 870 12 ga. pump when you go duck hunting?

I use my equipment because they are tools needed for the activity.
            In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
            Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
            TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
            TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
            PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
            TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
            Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
            TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Just checked lofts of the 6 irons as that was what I was hitting

Callaway X forged - 30*

Titliest AP2 714 - 29*

2014 TM CB - 28.5*
              By CHECKED did you measure each club or get the number from the official Name Brand web site?
              If the later, due to manufacturing tolerances you probably don't know what you were actually gaming (sorry rgk5 I had to use the term)

Comment

You guys make this way too complex.

I'm simply asking who is playing the PXi shafts and can offer some insight on their Game-ability (sorry RGK, had to)

As for the heads, I probably wouldn't use any of the 3 heads that I hit yesterday so don't really care about there specs. I merely gave some observations on how each performed and no I didn't put each iron on a loft/lie machine to see what there true loft was.
                5 wood Cobra F7

Comment

AP2s 6 iron isn't 29, its 30.

And yes PXi is actually an amazing shaft if are you fit for it. I have tried PXi and C Tape Lite and with both of those i was hitting consistently longer than any other shaft i have ever tried. I know shafts in irons are 'somewhat' overrated but it was nice seeing a 6 iron go close to 185 range, where with my current set up I'm hitting it roughly 178ish.
                  For me, i like the c taper lite a bit better PXis felt a bit mushy but the distances i got were pretty much identical.

Comment

You guys make this way too complex.

I'm simply asking who is playing the PXi shafts and can offer some insight on their Game-ability (sorry RGK, had to)

As for the heads, I probably wouldn't use any of the 3 heads that I hit yesterday so don't really care about there specs. I merely gave some observations on how each performed and no I didn't put each iron on a loft/lie machine to see what there true loft was.
                    Sometimes you just want to know what time it is not for someone to tell you how to build a watch.
                    Ping G410 Plus
                    Ping G410 3W
                    Ping G400 7W or 3H
                    Ping G400 4H
                    Ping G400 5 - UW
                    Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                    Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                    Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                    Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Originally posted by Pingeye2_fan View Post
                      Sometimes you just want to know what time it is not for someone to tell you how to build a watch.
                      and stating observational results is pointless for analysis if you do not consider the underlying root cause(s)
                      PS - I think you used a similar quote once before. Consider a man with 2 watches never knows what time it is!

Comment

Ok nuts,

thanks
                        I have them in a 6.5

I only have a few indoor sim rounds on them but initial thoughts are they feel really solid. Sorry that I can't give a more detailed review. Ask me in a few months

Comment

Have tried PX 6.5's. Found them to be really tight in terms of dispersion but you really have to work them. I ended up going with C Taper X's as they were alot smoother than PX 6.5 and I was getting better numbers as well..

But as they say....feel is very subjective.

Comment

I have played them in a set of AP2's and found that they actually launch the ball higher with pretty good feel.

Comment

Originally posted by ginrin View Post
                              I have played them in a set of AP2's and found that they actually launch the ball higher with pretty good feel.
                              That is better; no "gaming".
                              In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 10*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
                              Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
                              TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
                              TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
                              PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
                              TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
                              Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
                              TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X