No announcement yet.
Collapse

replacing spikes

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also be aware that there are different types of spike systems, so 1 tool may not do it all.

My FJ shoes use 1 tool (I bought it years ago at GT along with a few boxes of replacement soft spikes) but my Ecco shoes use different spikes.
    Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
    Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
    Nike 23 degree hybrid
    Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
    Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
    Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

Originally posted by Big Shooter View Post
      Anyone know how much GolfTown charges to change spikes these days? (I will be buying new spikes from them)
      Get the tool so you can do it yourself for the rest of your life. Tool is cheap; $7-15.

My advice - set the soles of the shoes in hot water in a sink for a few minutes before you try to wrestle your old spikes out.

Comment

Originally posted by ifigetaholdofit View Post

I went to the store in Oshawa after a round yesterday to get mine replaced and was told they didnt offer the service. Ended up buying the spikes, one of the associates was really helpful in showing me how to replace them myself.

I think they may offer the service only at certain stores. Pretty sure I saw it was available at the Aurora Store last year
        YES, I went to the Woodbridge store (where I've had them replace spikes for years), and they no longer offer the service. I called the Laird store, they do it....for $15....so that's $35+tax for new spikes....

I have a tool, and I tried cleaning the shoes, but I guess I'll have to try the "15 minute soak" first.
        Every great idea starts out as a blasphemy

Comment

Soaking is a very good idea, but if you lived in my house there's no way you'd be soaking them in the sink or bath tub.
          Happy wife, happy life, best to head down to the laundry tub;
          unless of course she uses that to ferment the Sauerkraut.
          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

YES, I went to the Woodbridge store (where I've had them replace spikes for years), and they no longer offer the service. I called the Laird store, they do it....for $15....so that's $35+tax for new spikes....

I have a tool, and I tried cleaning the shoes, but I guess I'll have to try the "15 minute soak" first.
            Woodbridge to Laird seems like.. quite the distance to travel to get this done...

Spikes are outrageously priced .. the spikes I bought were 25$ alone. Will also be trying the hot water ... wish spikes were just ore durable though...
            Last edited by ifigetaholdofit; Sep 12, 2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Spikes are outrageously priced .. the spikes I bought were 25$ alone. Will also be trying the hot water ... wish spikes were just ore durable though...
              Hit up Amazon. Pretty sure I got spikes and a tool for less than $25 together.

Comment

Went into GT today to look at a new pair of Ecco's, discussed one of the reasons I was looking at new shoes, and the associate asked if I had my old shoes in the car (which I did----of course)
                Bought a "better" tool and some spikes today at GT (Heartland), where not only did I get better service than the Woodbridge store, the associate showed me how to use the wrench by removing a few spikes and gave me some tips on how to remove the others. That's the kind of Customer Service I used to get at Woodbridge.....no sure what the disconnect is there now?

Comment

Woodbridge to Laird seems like.. quite the distance to travel to get this done...

All the more reason to go spikeless, brother. Did it in 2008/2009 when Ecco first introduced them and haven't looked back. Some of the pairs I have are pushing 7 years old and still look brand new in terms of the treads on the bottom. Of course, I have 2-3 pairs that I rotate so they don't get too dilapidated, but I see no reason that you couldn't get 1 pair of spikeless and have them last 2-3 years with moderate/heavy use.

I figure I've easily put 200+ rounds plus walking around the store on a few pairs of mine and again they could basically pass off as new. No worry about slipping (I find them to grip better than spikes now), no worry about the spikes wearing out, and no added cost of $30+ every year to get them back to wearable.

Comment

I bought the tool and Scorpion spikes at Walmart. 7 dollars for the tool and maybe 14 dollars for the spikes... fairly easy to do on my footjoys, and i've never had to do anything fancy like soaking...

Comment

Went into GT today to look at a new pair of Ecco's, discussed one of the reasons I was looking at new shoes, and the associate asked if I had my old shoes in the car (which I did----of course)
                      Bought a "better" tool and some spikes today at GT (Heartland), where not only did I get better service than the Woodbridge store, the associate showed me how to use the wrench by removing a few spikes and gave me some tips on how to remove the others. That's the kind of Customer Service I used to get at Woodbridge.....no sure what the disconnect is there now?
                      This was basically exactly what happened at the Oshawa store - the guy was really help ful. Despite my displeasure at the price of the spike - the alternative is not being able to use the shoes after only 2 seasons. From that prespective, its not a big deal

Comment

Originally posted by Phatchrisrules View Post

All the more reason to go spikeless, brother. Did it in 2008/2009 when Ecco first introduced them and haven't looked back. Some of the pairs I have are pushing 7 years old and still look brand new in terms of the treads on the bottom. Of course, I have 2-3 pairs that I rotate so they don't get too dilapidated, but I see no reason that you couldn't get 1 pair of spikeless and have them last 2-3 years with moderate/heavy use.

I figure I've easily put 200+ rounds plus walking around the store on a few pairs of mine and again they could basically pass off as new. No worry about slipping (I find them to grip better than spikes now), no worry about the spikes wearing out, and no added cost of $30+ every year to get them back to wearable.
                        I picked up a pair of the nike air max 90s earlier this year - they are spikeless but have this like "teeth" spike design on the bottom - they are pretty awesome in terms of grip/super comfortable - only issue is that they are mesh and not waterproof. They are not an option for "fall" golf.

Comment

This was basically exactly what happened at the Oshawa store - the guy was really help ful. Despite my displeasure at the price of the spike - the alternative is not being able to use the shoes after only 2 seasons. From that prespective, its not a big deal
                          Spikes DONE, way easier than I thought (with the CORRECT tool)

I have a pair of "spikeless" Puma's, but they're not good for 'damp' conditions.....have been looking around at Ecco's, probably splurge on a pair of Biom 2's by next season

Comment

Spikes DONE, way easier than I thought (with the CORRECT tool)

I have a pair of "spikeless" Puma's, but they're not good for 'damp' conditions.....have been looking around at Ecco's, probably splurge on a pair of Biom 2's by next season
                            Could you please explain the 'correct' tool. I am looking to change the spikes on at least 2 pairs of shoes and want to make sure that I don't waste my time using a non-optimal tool.

Comment

Originally posted by CairnsRock View Post
                              Re: replacing spikes:

The club is Whitevale and "spikeless shoes are recommended" in a private club that is taken as a rule due to peer pressure.
                              Interesting I'm playing there in a couple of weeks but I don't own spikeless.

On another note, are Nike spikes different than Footjoy? Should I buy them if Nike footwear is going away?

Comment

Originally posted by nomullies View Post

Interesting I'm playing there in a couple of weeks but I don't own spikeless.

On another note, are Nike spikes different than Footjoy? Should I buy them if Nike footwear is going away?
                                Nike footwear is staying from what I understand. Their apparel and footwear line is continuing while the "hardlines" aspect such as balls, clubs, gloves, and bags was what was killed off.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X