Collapse

Golf GPS Watches

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf GPS Watches

I couldn't find a definitive source for reviews on GPS Watches so I am reaching out to all the nuts for your feedback for those who are/were using one.

How do they compare to hand held GPS devices and range finders?
    Which are the more reputable brands?
    Ease of downloading course info and are they up to date?
    Yardage accuracy for fairways and approach to greens. I understand some models do not provide fairway yardages.
    What other features should be considered ?

-battery life,
    - size, weight,
    -visual maps vs digital display,
    - fitness tracker,
    - replaceable straps,
    - cost, etc.

As a high capper...I use a Garmin Watch S4...gps finds the course you are at...simple to use once you use it afew times...paid $ 200 and its good enough for front/middle/back yardages to the green for me...has other features which I do not bother with as I just want basic yardages to the green.

What you prefer depends on how good you are and what info you want.

With range finders, hand helds, phone apps...you need to pull the unit out of your bag etc...I would be afraid to lose it on the course

Comment

I have a Garmin S2 and have used it for two years now. Does not take long to become dependant on it. I am a high handicapper, so for me, the readings to the front, middle and centre of the green are good enough. I have compared to other GPS devices and range finders and find differences to be minimal and of little consequence, in my circumstances.

It does not provide fairway info automatically, but you can record the location of any feature you want on site, like a bunker, tree, water, dog leg, etc. and call that up in the future to find out how far you are from it. I find that particularly useful.

One thing I am not clear on however is how the device measures a dog leg from the fairway shot following the initial drive. If I have not made the corner, I don't know if I am getting an "as the crow flies" distance to the green, or whether the watch is calculating the distance to the turn and them adding that to the distance form the turn to the green. Will need to read up on that.

A fully charged piece will easily last a full long round. The watch is well built. I don't know if the strap can be replaced, but it does not look any worse for wear after two years. It does not interfere with writ movement. The watch comes with just about every course available already loaded. Never any problems with loading courses, even on the worst of days. Might take longer on a cloudy day.

I found it very useful to calibrate distances with the clubs I use to find out just how far (or not as far as I once thought) I can hit them. Overall, it is a confidence booster because there is not much room left for second guessing club selection.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I use a Garmin S1 watch and also have a Garmin G3 handheld unit. Both have all courses preloaded, are easy to update, and find the course where you are playing when you turn them on.

The S1 is nice because I don't have to think of a spot to put it when I'm carrying. I just strap it on my wrist and off I go. It only shows front-middle-back yardages to the green (no hazards), but I find that sufficient most of the time. I find the yardages accurate enough for my 18 handicap game. It is a bit bulky and some of my long sleeve shirts with tighter sleeves are a little difficult to get over top of the watch. It is very light, though, and I don't notice it when playing. Battery life is usually good for two 4-hour rounds, and the battery is built and and recharged with a funky clip that is relatively easy to use. Overall, this is the unit I use 99% of the time.

The G3 is an older handheld unit that shows the entire hole layout, with yardages to hazards in addition to front-middle-back on the green. It also allows you to zoom in on the green and move the flag to where you think it is on the green. The unit is bulky, and when I used to have a clicgear I clipped it to the handle. Now that I carry most of my rounds, I don't bother using it as it is a pain to pull it out of my bag all the time. Battery life is decent, though it uses AA-style batteries and I have a rechargeable set.

Comment

I use a Bushnell Neo XS watch GPS and like its looks and feel. Easy to read yardage to green (front, centre, back) plus hazards and great for blind shots. Doesn't have a long charge life.

Comment

There is an article on My Golf Spy about GPS watches.
            I have a Garmin S20 and find it accurate and easy to use
            Canada
            Callaway Epic GBB Accra F 260 M3
            Titleist TS2 16.5*
            Taylormade Rescue 22*
            4-PW Callaway Apex CF16 Accra 90i
            52* Clevland RTX 4.0
            56* Cleveland RTX 4.0
            Scotty Circa 62 # 7 35”

Florida
            Cobra F6
            R7 15*
            Nicket Ironwood 3 Hybrid 20*
            Srixon Z565 4-G Project X LZ 5.5
            Vokey 56* 60*
            Pyramid 34 “

Comment

Not specifically related to golf GPS watches but I do find Garmin branded GPS device to be consistently more accurate than other brands. Same with car gps...

Comment

Originally posted by bronc072 View Post
                I use a Bushnell Neo XS watch GPS and like its looks and feel. Easy to read yardage to green (front, centre, back) plus hazards and great for blind shots. Doesn't have a long charge life.
                My husband and I both have these. There have been a few times when I've questioned the yardage but overall we're very pleased with them. The charge on ours easily lasts 3 games. We've played with people who use range finders and found that those add time to the round, having to take them out of the bag, read the yardage, then put them away. I much prefer just a quick look at my wrist.
                In the Titleist Canada stand bag.....

Titleist 915 D3, 10.5
                Titleist 909 F2 15.5*
                Titleist 910 F2 19*
                Titleist 913H 24*
                Titleist 712 AP1 5-GW
                Vokey SM6 52* (bent to 53*)
                Vokey SM6 58*
                SC Studio Stainless Newport

Comment

Had my S2 for a few years now and have come to depend on it. Almost can't visualize yardages without it and makes things difficult if I forget to wear it. I like measuring shots, which (over time), helps me select the right club, so I've learned my distances because of the watch. It won't last 36 holes because I'm constantly measuring shots. Great $200 investment for a very BASIC GPS
                  Last edited by synergy; Jul 8, 2017, 08:25 AM.
                  – Greg

Comment

I prefer my rangefinder but if I was going to get a GPS watch, it would be the Garmin Vivoactive. I'd rather have one that has multiple features for running, biking, etc. as well as golf. https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/538374
                    MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I have a Garmin S6 and I love it! It has course view mode where you can set the pin on the green to get a more accurate reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post
                        I prefer my rangefinder but if I was going to get a GPS watch, it would be the Garmin Vivoactive. I'd rather have one that has multiple features for running, biking, etc. as well as golf. https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/538374
                        Second this. I have had the vivo active for two years now and love it. i use it all the time so battery life is pretty good. Usually need to charge after a round but when not playing it lasts for over a week. Counts my steps and I get notifications.
                        Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

A few on sale this week including the Bushnell for $149. Sign up for their email and save another 10%

Comment

fyi, Vivoactive on for $199 at Sportchek

sign up for the mailing list and get another 10% off. Free shipping to boot!

Comment

I have the Garmin S2 and love it. I can't play without it. It is very basic, but it is all I need-distance to the front, middle and back of the green. Distances are accurate. Never had a problem with the watch.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X