Collapse

Suggestions on watch style course GPS

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on watch style course GPS

Hey all anyone have any suggestions on a watch style GPS, was looking at some of the Garmin ones, i say sky caddie and Golf Buddy i think it was at golftown.

what do you think is the best bang for your buck. I was not happy dealing with SKY Caddie when my mom bought her GPS for my dad. The approach watches look good but i am not sure if it is worth getting one of the higher end watches or the s20 which does the basics.

anyone have an suggestions on these or general thoughts.

thanks

It all really depends what you think you want or need. They vary from vary basic to loaded. My Garmin Vivoactive watch would be an example of basic functions and distances. Others will give you pictures of the greens etc.
    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Garmin S20 has lots of features and the battery is good for 2 to 3 rounds, I have an S60 which does have more features
      and looks like a watch you could use daily but almost twice the price of the S20
      Last edited by outthere; Jan 17, 2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

The break point on price and features, for the most part, seem to be whether the watch shows a map of the fairway from tee to green with hazards. The Garmin S20 does not, while the S60 does, in addition to a whole lot more. I am not familiar with the other brands.

The Garmin S20 will give you basically all the distance information you need, but not in a mapped, visual format. So in the case of the Garmin, it really boils down to whether you feel you need or want the visual display for the added cost, and whether the added features are going to be of use to you.

I have an S3, which by the standards of today's watches, is very basic and I like it. If I had to replace it, I would be faced with the same question you have.

Would I pay the extra bucks for the map? Would be nice but, I am frugal and I don't necessarily need a map to tell me how far away the water hazard is. But on the other hand, I really really like maps......

In this day and age of GPS mapping we have become so accustomed to having a mapped representation of landscape that it is increasingly unusual to describe or appreciate "directions" as a set of measured distances and waypoints. Maps, because of the visual element, also impart a greater sense of authority or accuracy to the data.

I swear the next evolution of these devices will be a recommended course management strategy mapped out for each hole, including a recommended landing spot on the green for approach shots to maximise easiest putting lines.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

As the previous posters have stated, it depends on your needs. I have an S1, which gives me front/middle/back distances, and that's it. The only thing I wish it had (sometimes) was distances to hazards, but otherwise it is all I need. Plus, I get two rounds out of a charge, and it was cheap. There are lots of used versions of the older models on kijiji for around $100.

I think it also depends on where you play. If you play the same course all the time, you'll find that over time, the basic information is all you need. If you are constantly playing new or unfamiliar courses, you'll likely find the additional information and mapping handy.

Comment

I have a vivoactive and love it. I use it everyday for phone notifications and steps etc.

It is very versatile and I can use it on the course for basic yardages. Battery life when playing golf is usually 2 rounds. When not playing golf it lasts for a few weeks before needing a charge.
            Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51​

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

Originally posted by soccerguy1961 View Post
              I have a vivoactive and love it. I use it everyday for phone notifications and steps etc.

It is very versatile and I can use it on the course for basic yardages. Battery life when playing golf is usually 2 rounds. When not playing golf it lasts for a few weeks before needing a charge.
              which model? the latest one?
              MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

I have the s20 and very happy with it for golf ( I also use bushnell rangefinder ) I also like the bluetooth connectivity not just for golf but I now where the watch everyday and it lets me know if text messages or any notifications are coming to my phone including calls. I recently discovered it has a sort of fitbit function for step counting calorie burning etc.
                Don't Drink & DRive...Don't Even Putt

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

which model? the latest one?
                  The original square one.
                  Pxg Gen 4. Project X hzrdus

Srixon 3 Hybrid

Srixon 4 Hybrid

Mizuno Mp H4 4-PW

Mizuno S18 Gap Wedge 51​

Mizuno S 22 56 wedge

Odyssey Ten Tour Lined Broomstick

Comment

I have both the S2 (for sale on the bst) and S20. For just golf the S2 was very good. Tracked my scores as well. Basic but all I needed. It became a pain when I had a fitbit and S2 trying to golf. So for Christmas I got the S20 so I could track my steps as well. Have not used it for golf yet but it is Garmin so I am sure it is great.
                    Sun Mountain C-130
                    Ping G30 Driver, G25 4 & 7 wood
                    Ping G25 27*
                    Ping i20 6 - Sw
                    Vokey SM4 58
                    Callaway Jaws 64
                    Odyssey White Hot # 7
                    NXT Tour S

You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.

Comment

Originally posted by Davepm View Post
                      I have both the S2 (for sale on the bst) and S20. For just golf the S2 was very good. Tracked my scores as well. Basic but all I needed. It became a pain when I had a fitbit and S2 trying to golf. So for Christmas I got the S20 so I could track my steps as well. Have not used it for golf yet but it is Garmin so I am sure it is great.
                      Same here.

Comment

Garmin S20. Works for me.
                        Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

You might want to take a look at the Shot Scope V2. I am considering this one myself.

We can’t find the page you were looking for

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                          X