Combo Iron Sets

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo Iron Sets

Question for the gear whores:

Is it 'better' to buy a purpose built combo iron set - I.e. blades/mb 7-P and cb 4-6 irons? Or does it work to 'build your own' combo set? I am in love with my current set and am extremely comfortable with the mid/short irons, but need some more forgiveness in the long irons. If I were to 'build my own' by buying single irons 4-6, would they need to be bent so that loft follows my short irons? Or can I buy a 6i CB off the shelf and just play it? Without bending them will I have a sizable yardage gap?

I play Cleveland CG4 Tours 4-6 and Titleist MB 7-PW.

works fine for me. Unless you really want to have the same club head shape throughout the set it doesn’t really matter. Just match the lofts for correct gapping.

Comment

Mizuno's last several series of irons promote mixing and matching among their sets to make combos. I'd personally be visually bothered by having visually-unmatched irons in my set, by combining different brands. But whatever works -> I never argue with success !
      🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
      Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
      Titleist TSi2 10* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
      Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
      Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
      Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
      Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
      Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post
        Question for the gear whores:

Is it 'better' to buy a purpose built combo iron set - I.e. blades/mb 7-P and cb 4-6 irons? Or does it work to 'build your own' combo set? I am in love with my current set and am extremely comfortable with the mid/short irons, but need some more forgiveness in the long irons. If I were to 'build my own' by buying single irons 4-6, would they need to be bent so that loft follows my short irons? Or can I buy a 6i CB off the shelf and just play it? Without bending them will I have a sizable yardage gap?
        As Andy points out Mizuno has many options for Club types to work together, Taylormade also has the P Series. Keep in mind the different sets are generally targeting different players, so the set make up (read lofts) tend to be different. Unless you can find sets that seamlessly flow with the spacing and gapping you need, the cost to bend a couple irons is not significant, assuming the lofts aren't off that dramatically. Golf is hard enough, so I would spend a little extra (for bending) to get the predictable gapping you need out of your set.

Comment

I'm not adverse to a mixed make set-up in my bag. If the club works for me I won't care who made it.
          Right now its Ping i25 woods, Cobra DWS hybrids, Cleveland TA5 irons 5-PW, Cleve 57* SW 588 , Calaway iTrax putter.

The Calaway iTrax putter is my only constant.
          things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Whatever works
            "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Isn't this what they were trying with the Titleist 731 PM Iron Set?

And Phil still seems to mix and match his irons.
              https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/n...son-witb-2020/

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X