Collapse

Changes coming to golf balls for elite tours

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bl8d View Post
    the ball rollback will encourage 6000yd course designs to cater to the resurgent mass of players.
    Or finally we'll begin to see the emergence of 4500-5000 yard 12 hole courses that are commercially viable.
    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• I'm not the only one who thinks that the rollback is a bad idea, especially for the amateurs. Keegan Bradley didn't mince any words about how he felt.

“Srixon made whatever the USGA was saying, and it was 40, 50 yards [shorter] with my driver,” Bradley, 37, said Saturday at the Hero World Challenge. “I was a club or two shorter. I think that the USGA … everything that they do is reactionary. They don't think of a solution. They just think we're going to affect a hundred percent of the population that plays golf. For the amateur world to hit the ball shorter is monstrous. I can't think of anything more stupid than that. I don't think it's very smart at all, especially when golf's growing in popularity literally coming out of COVID."

PGA Tour players torch governing bodies on golf ball rollback; Keegan Bradley calls it 'stupid' and 'monstrous' | Golf News and Tour Information | GolfDigest.com
      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

• This is the ultimate in shrinkflation. First KD cuts back on the amount of macaroni in their box...now this. Is nothing sacred anymore?

I am already losing about 5- 10 yards per year due to aging.

And, even now, with the current balls, I still leave about 90% of my putts short.

What is the betting that we are also going to be paying more for a ball that does less - when we should be getting a discount.

I agree with those who have promoted leaving things as they are, and holding the line on further increasing ball distance capability.

Taking something away from people, and making collateral damage out of those masses of struggling hard core golf hacks, to fix a problem that affects less than 1% of golfers, is never a good thing.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

• Originally posted by mpare View Post
          I'm not the only one who thinks that the rollback is a bad idea, especially for the amateurs. Keegan Bradley didn't mince any words about how he felt.

“Srixon made whatever the USGA was saying, and it was 40, 50 yards [shorter] with my driver,” Bradley, 37, said Saturday at the Hero World Challenge. “I was a club or two shorter. I think that the USGA … everything that they do is reactionary. They don't think of a solution. They just think we're going to affect a hundred percent of the population that plays golf. For the amateur world to hit the ball shorter is monstrous. I can't think of anything more stupid than that. I don't think it's very smart at all, especially when golf's growing in popularity literally coming out of COVID."

PGA Tour players torch governing bodies on golf ball rollback; Keegan Bradley calls it 'stupid' and 'monstrous' | Golf News and Tour Information | GolfDigest.com
          Rory also commented
          Click image for larger version

Name:	DC832092-698A-4C4E-9512-AC97933FDFA9.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	3719638
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• ^^^ well said by Rory.
            I don't see how bifurcation ( of balls or club specs ) would affect the masses in the annual sales volume.

Maybe the Pros should be forced to buy their clubs at the local PGA Superstore or Golftown, etc like us mere mortals and not the Tour Van.
            🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
            Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
            Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
            Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
            Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
            Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
            Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
            Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

• You appear to have missed a key point in the new rollback. It won't be a bifurcated approach. The rollback will apply to ALL golfers. Rory also fudges a key consequence as far as the average golfer is concerned. It will affect them significantly. That 5% or so rollback is huge. If you now fly the ball 220, you'll be reduced to 209. Rory might think that's insignificant, but it's a lot to an amateur.

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
              ^^^ well said by Rory.
              I don't see how bifurcation ( of balls or club specs ) would affect the masses in the annual sales volume.

Maybe the Pros should be forced to buy their clubs at the local PGA Superstore or Golftown, etc like us mere mortals and not the Tour Van.

Comment

You appear to have missed a key point in the new rollback. It won't be a bifurcated approach. The rollback will apply to ALL golfers. Rory also fudges a key consequence as far as the average golfer is concerned. It will affect them significantly. That 5% or so rollback is huge. If you now fly the ball 220, you'll be reduced to 209. Rory might think that's insignificant, but it's a lot to an amateur.
                So on a 400 yard par 4, what would currently be driver 220 and say 5/4/iron into the green will end up being driver 209 and 191 into the green but that 191 will play more like 200 yards with the new ball. So the average golfer has gone from driver 5 iron to driver 3hybrid or 5 wood. ....a 2-3 club difference

Comment

• I don't think the 5% rollback will apply to all swing speeds, just the elite level Tour speeds.

The governing bodies should have curbed this 30 years ago by limiting the size of driver heads. Nick Faldo had a good suggestion for tournament play - just reduce the length of the tees. Seems simple enough. You won't get the benefit of playing a 440 - 460cc head with a shorter tee.

Comment

• That’s not what the Golf Digest article claims. Do you any reports to suggest that they erred, or that the governing bodies don’t intend a rollback for all golfers?

Originally posted by sven View Post
                    I don't think the 5% rollback will apply to all swing speeds, just the elite level Tour speeds.

The governing bodies should have curbed this 30 years ago by limiting the size of driver heads. Nick Faldo had a good suggestion for tournament play - just reduce the length of the tees. Seems simple enough. You won't get the benefit of playing a 440 - 460cc head with a shorter tee.

Comment

• Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
                      ^^^ well said by Rory.

I think the problem with bifurcation is that the OEMs now have to devote a bunch of R&D to produce a ball that they can’t really sell to the consumer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

So on a 400 yard par 4, what would currently be driver 220 and say 5/4/iron into the green will end up being driver 209 and 191 into the green but that 191 will play more like 200 yards with the new ball. So the average golfer has gone from driver 5 iron to driver 3hybrid or 5 wood. ....a 2-3 club difference
                        Of course, golf courses could move tees up 20 yards essentially negating the roll back. It is far easier to move tees up than move them back. Course and slope ratings and/ or yardages would have be to be reviewed based on the new ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBananaSlice View Post

I think the problem with bifurcation is that the OEMs now have to devote a bunch of R&D to produce a ball that they can’t really sell to the consumer.
                          Wouldn't they be able to go back and use a ball design from the past , when balls didnt travel as far and maybe change the cover etc ?

Comment

• Not that I really care but I can always move up to the forward forward tees…
                            Ping G425 SFT 10.5’
                            Ping G425 SFT 16’
                            Ping G410 5-UW
                            Epon forged 52’&56
                            Byron Morgan Proto 34” 350g
                            Soccer Balls!
                            Jones Premium Cart Bag.
                            Stewart X7 Trolley.

Comment

• Originally posted by Playthru View Post

Of course, golf courses could move tees up 20 yards essentially negating the roll back. It is far easier to move tees up than move them back. Course and slope ratings and/ or yardages would have be to be reviewed based on the new ball.
                              Courses do this already , not uncommon on a jammed tee sheet day that everything is pushed up a box to help with pace

didn't think about the course re rating being something they might need to do...quite possible.

Comment

That’s not what the Golf Digest article claims. Do you any reports to suggest that they erred, or that the governing bodies don’t intend a rollback for all golfers?
                                From the GD article

"The effect on distance for recreational players will likely be less, but could be proportional. So that if a tour player loses five percent (or 15 yards on a 300-yard drive), then a recreational player might lose that same five percent on a 225-yard drive (or roughly 11 yards). And the same golfer likely would lose a similar percentage on his or her approach shots."

we likely won't know until the ball(s) are in use and tested

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X