Collapse

Using old irons,Ping isi-s

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using old irons,Ping isi-s

Had these 20+ years ago. Found a set, wondering if still comparable to modern sets. Anyone still playing these?

I had a set of eye2’s that I would go back to once in a while. It’s a fun experience

Comment

I'm a Ping fan going way back. I can speak more to Eye 2s because I've had and played multiple sets. IMO the beryllium copper Eye 2s are the nicest looking iron ever. I believe most old Ping irons have fairly firm shafts. The lofts are less than today's clubs. So imagine your modern 9 iron would be like an old Ping 7 or 8 iron. I have not played the ISI's ... good luck.

Comment

Won't move off my Ping Eye2+ irons. I like them, and they suit my game it seems. Have enjoyed some rental irons a couple of times but never felt like I should move off the old dependable irons I have.

Agree the lofts are at least a club down vs newer stuff I have played with.
        Still getting the hang of this game!

In the Ogio Atlas for riding or Ogio Vaporlite for carrying:

Ping G2 with HOT PINK Grafalloy Bimatrix
        Srixon W-403 AD 5 wood
        Nike 23 degree hybrid
        Ping eye2+ irons 5-PW
        Cleveland CG14 Gunmetal 52, 56
        Bronze Ping Anser 3 with Tigershark grip

Comment

I still have a set of Karsten I irons, but have not played with them for many years. I think I bought them in 1973.

Comment

I still use s59's from 2003 and I also have a set of Karsten 1's sitting in my basement from 75

Comment

Originally posted by mcgsxr View Post
              Won't move off my Ping Eye2+ irons. I like them, and they suit my game it seems. Have enjoyed some rental irons a couple of times but never felt like I should move off the old dependable irons I have.

Agree the lofts are at least a club down vs newer stuff I have played with.
              I loved my Eye 2+ irons, so easy having a 50*PW, didn’t have to squeeze in a gap wedge (now you almost need two gap wedges).
              Sold them and later bought a used set of
              Eye 2’s but they weren’t the + model.

Never felt the same, I think the shape of the sole in the + model was much better for me.
              Ping G410 Plus
              Ping G410 3W
              Ping G400 7W or 3H
              Ping G400 4H
              Ping G400 5 - UW
              Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
              Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
              Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
              Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

the ISI irons ,because the high knob at the toe of the sole ,were affectionately called Gumby's after the cartoon character.
                The sole is quite narrow better suited to a players instead a game improvement iron
                These Ping irons are good and the wedges of that model are among the best. The lofts were standard for their day., meaning they are about a 4degreessweaker than the modern.
                because of the narrow sole ,but broad toe projection ,the correct lie for your swing plane is critical.

I have the Cushin Z-Z65 shaft in mine.
                Enjoy
                things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I'm still bagging a set of ISI nickel irons . Yes they play at least a club shorter than the jacked lofted modern irons That said, the nickels are very soft feeling and the forgiveness is just silly good while still having some bag appeal. They are the real deal and were way ahead of their time.

Comment

I’m seriously thinking of getting my PowerBuilt TPS irons restafted with graphite reg, they still have the S300 extra stiff shafts from when I bought them in the late 1980’s.
                    I have tried quite a few new irons and currently have ping E3s that were custom fitted. I just haven’t found a set that I like as much as my old iron set ( 2 iron to SW). The only thing that stopped me was the cost of reshafting was as much or more then a new set.
                    I did reshaft my old 7 wood with a 3 iron graphite shaft and couldn’t be happier. It did have the same shaft the irons.
                    Driver: Wilson D200 (set at 9*),UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Stiff.
                    3W: Wilson D200,UST Mamiya Elements Chrome Reg.
                    7W: Taylor Made (that's it bought in 1986)
                    Irons: Ping I-irons Yellow Dot, 4-9 + W45*+ UW50*, CFS 70gram Graphite Reg.
                    Mack Daddy 60/10 Wedge
                    Putter: Ping Anser Beryllium Copper Putter (bought it in 1982)

Comment

Originally posted by gypsy View Post
                      I still use s59's from 2003 and I also have a set of Karsten 1's sitting in my basement from 75
                      That's what I am playing

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X