Collapse

My Campbell's

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Campbell's

MiacaelR - Very nice set of Campbell woods. As Northern Pro wrote," probably manufactured in Toronto on Shephard Avenue". How do they play? I bet solid as a rock!
    Max
    " One Day At A Time"

Comment

Originally posted by Maxwell View Post
      ...How do they play? I bet solid as a rock!
      I have only hit the 3W - and that, once. Completely different feel! It went okay, but Moe Norman I most certainly ain't.

Stopped at one swing for fear of skymarks

As for the irons in the original post - I have seen recent references in kijiji to Campbell clubs from time to time, fwiw...

PS: just noticed that this was initially an older thread - hey kiwi, still got 'em?

Last edited by MichaelR; Oct 13, 2012, 08:08 PM. Reason: update
      _______
      NQRfPT

Comment

Originally posted by dekker View Post
        first clue is usually the quality of the shaft itself.

the 2nd tier clubshaft would typically have only one type of shaft stepping along the entire length with (up to) 3" steps in between.
        The pro line would have a much more defined step pattern ranging and varying fro 5/8 to 1.5".
        dekker would a more defined step pattern give a more accurate shot (less dispersion)?

I have maybe 3 sets of MacGregor J Nicklaus Muirfield LH'ed wood woods. 1 set is really mint original.
        Either the 3W or 5W was never hit. Probably 30 years old now, from the early 80's.
        Adams XTD Ti 12.5* / TightLies 2 Ti / Super 9031 Tour / Ping WRX i20 Irons
        Ping WRX Tour Gorge / YES Natalie Putter B-CG / Leupold GX-4 Rangefinder
        Personal Best: 79, hoping for another sub 80 round before the Twilight Zone

Comment

Originally posted by TourIQ View Post
          dekker would a more defined step pattern give a more accurate shot (less dispersion)?

I have maybe 3 sets of MacGregor J Nicklaus Muirfield LH'ed wood woods. 1 set is really mint original.
          Either the 3W or 5W was never hit. Probably 30 years old now, from the early 80's.
          Harry, the low-end shaft that I described was an extremely utilitarian TT product of the day and could be found in other club lines by MacGregor, Spalding etc. Some Nicklaus sets during the Brunswick era will have B stamp on the sole.Also Tommy Armour and Louise Suggs sets came with that shaft under the general 234 stamp on the toe.
          The pro shaft had a more complex step pattern which gave you the performance in the mid and tip section that the plain Jane shaft couldn't.
          Once you see the MacGregors proprietary professional Pro-Pell shaft of that period you won't mistake it for anything else.
          I still have my Muirfield driver and 3 wood. They were/are a top notch persimmon product. Hang on to yours. They will be a bit of history.

Comment

The pro shaft had a more complex step pattern which gave you the performance in the mid and tip section that the plain Jane shaft couldn't.
            dekker how did this play out in performance, considering other factors being equal?

Years ago we stumbled upon a TT iron and wood shaft with a tighter step pattern than Dynamic Gold and they were golden. They were also stiffer in flex than X-100 with max trimming. I put 120+ of them away for Duane (all weight sorted to 10% of spec) so he would have a lifetime supply of these steel shafts, since they are now discontinued by TT
            I still have my Muirfield driver and 3 wood. They were/are a top notch persimmon product. Hang on to yours. They will be a bit of history.
            dekker since we have 3 LH'ed sets (1W/3W/5W), I could part with a couple, but the near Mint to Unhit (5W) is a keeper
            5W (condition 10 unrestored original) sure is purdy. Too bad I didn't have a RH'ed set of the same so I could give them a swing.

Comment

Harry, the Plain Jane(my words) shaft was surprisingly playable in that the tip got the ball up very quickly from the fairway. That shaft came in a low-end Nicklaus 3 wood that MacGregor produced during the Brunswick ownership period. Brunswick MacGregor clubs from that era have a stylized B on the sole.
              The first Brunswick production run of the Nicklaus Golden Bear forged irons were actually a Pro-quality product with a good TT shaft. Brunswick later downgraded them, for reasons unknown, and stuck the PJ shaft in them and farmed them out to "Wal-Mart" country.
              I played that wally-world Brunswick Nicklaus 3 wood for one summer before I split the head in half at the Burlinton Springs range. I blame their lousy balls.

The Pro-Pel Action shaft ,which was heavily featured in their better models, was/is the right shaft for me. TT produced virtually all the shafts for the major lines at that time so the proprietary Pro-Pel Action is very likely their product. They were flex-graded by a number system, much like the Hogan Apex except in reverse. 1 was stiff, 2 was regular and so on. The PPA shaft band was a silver wrap with a black shield with the flex grade in a red diamond on either side of the shield.
              If your TT shafts feature a tight 1" pattern along the entire length they could be Pro-Pel Action stock.
              I have a number 2 in my Tourney and Super eye-O-Matic woods and the step starts 6" above the hosel on the driver. It's very responsive and has a tight flight pattern .
              Last edited by dekker; Oct 14, 2012, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Harry, the Plain Jane(my words) shaft
                The Pro-Pel Action shaft ,which was heavily featured in their better models,
                dekker a walk down memory lane.
                My JN Muirfield persimmon woods feature the True Temper Made in USA, Dynamic S (for Stiff flex) with the Golf Pride Green Victory grip as original issue
                I did have the matching forged blades but have since unloaded them, except for a set in RH.

Comment

I see that this thread is several years old but maybe someone within the TGN community can provide some assistance with a missing club. I have a Campbell set that is missing the 5 iron. it is the Campbell Arnold Palmer Personal set. If any one sees a 5 iron in a bin somewhere - or has one kicking around kindly let me know. I can provide a pic if someone needs to see what the head looks like. In advance - Thanks for any assistance that may be provided.
                  Swing Smooth and Hit Hard...!

Comment

I still have a 3i with Campbell Canada marked on the bottom. On the back is marked "Pin Hi" the word Pin is in red, the word Hi is in green. There is also a red flag stick in a green cup.

It was part of a half set I bought second hand, for $25.00 or $50.00, I think, in 1964 or 65. Also had the Campbell driver and 3W.

For the next 40 years after high school I used these, perhaps once or twice a year until 2010, much to the amusement of my partners.

I re-griped it and it is now in the company of a set of Cobras. Actually used it a couple of times last year.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

I remember back in the days, I could not afford Campbell, got NW Kro Flite instead for $70.

Ironically, I can buy a set of used Eye2 for $100 today.
                      All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fuji Atmos Red
                      4-wood : Tour Edge Lift-Off AnyLie 16.5°
                      3-PW : Nike Victory Red II ProCombo
                      Wedges : Nike VRII 52-degree / 58-degree
                      Putter : Odyssey White Ice #9

Comment

My first set of clubs Campbell Pin Hi's - bought in 1966 at Consumer's Distributing on Castlefield. Driver, 3-wood, 3,5,7, 9 iron and putter and I believe the price was $35. Still have the 9 iron — it reminds me of my carefree days at Humber Valley where I pitched and chipped like the kid I was with nary a negative thought in my noggin.

Comment

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I am not from Toronto but this post is very near and dear to my heart.

I actually have a , once owned by Moe, 1 iron of the Arnold Palmer/Campbell make.

It was my favourite club until the hozel broke this spring on a tee shot.

I have been trying to replace and augment the set. I really like this club. The Tru-matic/Arnold Palmer club is almost identical other than the heads are just a little less massive, not quite as deep a sole.

Sooooooo, if someone is willing too part with these clubs I may be interested.

Thanks
                          Last edited by campbell hunter; Sep 9, 2015, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I just purchased a set of the tru-matics. To be honest, I can barely tell the difference between them and the Campbell. There are several different versions, but there is one that looks exactly like the campbells. They weigh a ton AND ARE TOTALLY UNFORGIVING ON A MISSED SWEET SPOT.

Comment

My 1st set were Campbell Pine Valleys from Simpson-Sears catalog in 1970 it included bag,cart,balls and 1,3 woods 3-9 irons no wedge paid 79.99 haha. Used them until 76 when I got Ping irons and Powerbilt woods

Comment

My first set of clubs probably 20 years ago were Campbell Traditions from Canadian Tire. The irons were Ping Zing knockoffs and the woods looked similar to the King Cobras.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X