Collapse

How to start downswing ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start downswing ?

Maybe I'm not understanding this correctly (very usual for me), but here are two, totally different approaches to the subject topic .
    Was wondering what your comments, opinions are on this ?
    IOW, is there a "proper" and "proven" best sequence to start the downswing, or it's all up to the individual golfer ?

Start with the body/hips:

Start with the arms:
    Last edited by veryold; Nov 21, 2016, 10:05 AM.

Re: How to start downswing ?

I believe its a blend of both, those two videos show two sides to the spectrum and neither can be taught as a one size fits all feel. Both will work for certain players to help bring them to the middle of the spectrum and achieve better sequencing.

IMO there is an over emphasis on how to start the downswing and people turn the golf swing into two swings... a backswing and a downswing... thats how they end up lacking the seperation, freedom and fluidity that is necessary to create actual "lag" or energy within the body and its levers. If you see the motion as a whole like any other athletic move(ie: throwing a baseball)you'll see that transition is a very natural, passive move that begins with slight transfer of weight and pressure from the ground up.
    www.ryancorbingolf.com
    insta: @ryancorbingolf
    twitter: @ryancorbingolf
    youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH_UpKVADIo

Comment

You should check out Amy Yang's swing...best transition move in the game. Just watch her left hip as she approaches the top of her swing.

Comment

V.O....thanks for posting.
        Max
        " One Day At A Time"

Comment

I really liked video #1 and his language / presentation. I will explore more of his videos on YouTube.

As I chatted with all my various playing partners over this season ( the 40+ crowd ), it seems most of us struggle with engaging our hips & lower body. We all seem to complain we are too arms'y in our swings.

This will be the #1 thing I work on in the off season. The times that I am very conscious to engage my lower body, the swing seems very easy & unforced, and the result can be 1 club longer.
          Last edited by ARL67; Nov 22, 2016, 06:23 PM.
          🍍 2023 WITB 🍍​
          Bag | Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
          Ping G430 Max 12* | Miyazaki Kusala Black 61x
          Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway | Evenflow White 60S
          Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid | Evenflow White 90S
          Edel SMS Pro 5-PW | Steelfiber i110cw-S
          Edel SMS GW & LW | Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter | Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip
          Grips | All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Comment

I took your advice and checked out her swing. Love it. Thanks.

Originally posted by shizzngiggls View Post
            You should check out Amy Yang's swing...best transition move in the game. Just watch her left hip as she approaches the top of her swing.
            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by ARL67 View Post
              I really liked video #1 and his language / presentation. I will explore more of his videos on YouTube.

As I chatted with all my various playing partners over this season ( the 40+ crowd ), it seems most of us struggle with engaging our hips & lower body. We all seem to complain we are too arms'y in our swings.

This will be the #1 thing I work on in the off season. The times I am very conscious to engage my lower body, the swing seems very easy & unforced, and can the result can be 1 club longer.
              I would say more people are too armsy as opposed to the opposite! The first feel I would encourage people to try without seeing their swing if they are too armsy is to try and replicate the feel of throwing a medicine ball =) Legs push in and start the move, eventually the force leads into the arms and hands and the club!
              Larrycheunggolf.com

Comment

Originally posted by Corby View Post
                I believe its a blend of both, those two videos show two sides to the spectrum and neither can be taught as a one size fits all feel. Both will work for certain players to help bring them to the middle of the spectrum and achieve better sequencing.

IMO there is an over emphasis on how to start the downswing and people turn the golf swing into two swings... a backswing and a downswing... thats how they end up lacking the seperation, freedom and fluidity that is necessary to create actual "lag" or energy within the body and its levers. If you see the motion as a whole like any other athletic move(ie: throwing a baseball)you'll see that transition is a very natural, passive move that begins with slight transfer of weight and pressure from the ground up.
                My own experience - obviously only one person - is complete agreement. On some swings I feel like I get into hitting position with a short backswing and other times it feels longer. In any case, when I feel that I am in the right position it just seems to go on "auto pilot". I go with the feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                  IOW, is there a "proper" and "proven" best sequence to start the downswing, or it's all up to the individual golfer ?
                  The golf swing is a complex full body movement.
                  It requires both the upper and lower body working together in a complementary fashion.
                  Most people's movements tend to favour one over the other.

People that have naturally active upper bodies might need to consciously 'activate' their lower bodies to keep things matched up.
                  People that have naturally active lower bodies might need to consciously 'activate' their upper bodies to do the same thing.

Very unscientific observations/generalizations here, but what I have noticed is:
                  - novices and/or people that have generally not played many other sports tend to have active upper bodies and inactive lower bodies. They benefit from thinking of actively getting their lower body into the swing
                  - people that have played a lot of other sports have a tendency to overdo the lower body movement, and their upper body falls behind and they 'get stuck'. Those people can benefit from actively getting their upper body more active.

So the short answer to your question is:
                  - What do you need more of? What you need more of should be your focus as the 'other' part of your body is likely doing pretty well on its own.

Comment

I'll second that Shizzzles: https://youtu.be/-rWTkJBGEYE

Be sure to take some music to the range with you.
                    Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post
                      I'll second that Shizzzles: https://youtu.be/-rWTkJBGEYE

Be sure to take some music to the range with you.
                      For my swing it'd have to be something along the lines of "The Blue Danube" waltz.

Comment

For my swing it'd have to be something along the lines of "The Blue Danube" waltz.
                        My beautiful Wife and i were hitting some balls on the last day before they closed for the season at Andy Bathgate range, and she was just too quick with her tempo and just was not able to hit a good shot. Then i mentioned to her to slow down, like dancing a waltz, and omg, she hit probably best shots of her life, lol
                        Many thanks for your post and keep waltzing
                        P.S. Now if i could only apply this to my own swing
                        Last edited by veryold; Nov 22, 2016, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                          My beautiful Wife and i were hitting some balls on the last day before they closed for the season at Andy Bathgate range, and she was just too quick with her tempo and just was not able to hit a good shot. Then i mentioned to her to slow down, like dancing a waltz, and omg, she hit probably best shots of her life, lol
                          Many thanks for your post and keep waltzing
                          P.S. Now if i could only apply this to my own swing
                          Now that's cool!

Comment

The killer is using the left arm before the body has started to rotate which guarantees an arms-only swing at impact. An easy way to sequence this order is to remember to turn the chest into the left arm before swinging the arms. You can always tell if you've kept your left arm back and close to your body before your body rotation so you can begin to swing consistently.

Comment

Yeah, Amy's swing is perfect. But I found this Aimee to explain the downswing. https://youtu.be/AZbhyQ9C8ZY
                              – Greg

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X