No announcement yet.
Collapse

Compression vs. Picking: Reverse Golf Swing Learning

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please don't say things like, "It's almost impossible for me to hit a ball anywhere else but dead straight." Don't tempt the Golf Gods.

Regarding compression - everything in moderation. Your divot should not be too deep.
    You have a good instructor. Just do what he asks you to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Keep working hard - you will break 80 next year.
    If you are hitting your 7 iron 180 yards and dead straight, all you need to do is work on your short game to break 80.

Good luck, and stay humble.

What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
    - Arnold Palmer

Comment

Those last 2 videos look a lot better. Its hard to tell without a face on video but lot less sway is evident.

It looks like your standing up a bit at the top of your BS (likely because you want the illusion of a fuller turn) ur head moves up a bit. Try to tone that down and i bet your consistency improves even more.

The other problem with golf is being consistent. Ive broken 80 a few times. I shoot in the 80s...yet i also still shoot over 100.

We just had our club championship. Day 1 i shot 58 on the front and 48 on the back. (Gross) course was playing extremely tough
      day 2 i shot 52 on the front and 42 on the back.

Those could have both been 42 and 42 or just as easily 58 and 58...thats golf my friend ..dont be too hard on yourself.

also learn to chip and putt well is the fastest way to lowering scores the most.

any time youd like to play a friendly game id be glad to invite you to any of clublinks courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
        Those last 2 videos look a lot better. Its hard to tell without a face on video but lot less sway is evident.

It looks like your standing up a bit at the top of your BS (likely because you want the illusion of a fuller turn) ur head moves up a bit. Try to tone that down and i bet your consistency improves even more.

The other problem with golf is being consistent. Ive broken 80 a few times. I shoot in the 80s...yet i also still shoot over 100.

We just had our club championship. Day 1 i shot 58 on the front and 48 on the back. (Gross) course was playing extremely tough
        day 2 i shot 52 on the front and 42 on the back.

Those could have both been 42 and 42 or just as easily 58 and 58...thats golf my friend ..dont be too hard on yourself.

also learn to chip and putt well is the fastest way to lowering scores the most.

any time youd like to play a friendly game id be glad to invite you to any of clublinks courses.
        Good eye, you are bang on correct with me raising my head and it's killing me....it's like I see it on video and for the life of me trying to keep that damn thing down and it pops right back up....I found that if someone stands in front of me and holds the butt end of a club out and rests it on my head at address, I can than swing through and almost create a "C" shape with my body and have a nice swing, once they remove the club the "C" shape is gone and it's more of a sway towards the target, although I now no longer sway in the backswing, just try to keep my back pointed to the target while keeping my nose directly over the ball, so more rotation, but good observation nonetheless.

Comment

Thanks everyone else for your valuable input!

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalMachine View Post

Good eye, you are bang on correct with me raising my head and it's killing me....it's like I see it on video and for the life of me trying to keep that damn thing down and it pops right back up....I found that if someone stands in front of me and holds the butt end of a club out and rests it on my head at address, I can than swing through and almost create a "C" shape with my body and have a nice swing, once they remove the club the "C" shape is gone and it's more of a sway towards the target, although I now no longer sway in the backswing, just try to keep my back pointed to the target while keeping my nose directly over the ball, so more rotation, but good observation nonetheless.
            Its the A type personality a lot of us have and our fascination with distance. So we reach our max turn threshold and then "cheat" to feel like we wil get a stronger more powerful turn. I know because i do it too.

Comment

Originally posted by iSlice View Post
              You seem to have a problem with being courteous to your fellow members. As a long time member you should be more welcoming to new members.
              Hey Slicer, I thought I had the honour of being on ignore for you. You are Mr. Rage, who responds to a simple light comment that Tom Brady doesn't play "football", but plays "american football", with a rude post. Then when it is pointed out that I could ask him a similar question responds with even more Rage. And gets all upset when many other people tell him he is way out of line.

And DM, I know that you know I'm not being discourous, as I said "It's great you are so enthusiastic about the game." You yourself were laughing when looking back.

Mr Slicer has an anger problem and doesn't seem to like it that I pointed out how silly he was in the other thread. Wouldn't want to be near him in rush hour trafffic as I can only imagine how he acts, LOL.

EDIT: I would just add that in all my years on this great forum, while I may have different opinions from people many times, Mr. Slicer/Rage is the only person who has ever been so rude and unpleasant. I've never had unpleasant exchanges with anyone else. Meanwhile, in his short time on this forum, Mr Slicer/Rage has gotten into heated arguments with several members. What does that tell you?
              Last edited by multimut; Aug 21, 2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

In this picture your right hand is strong, your left hand is weak. That's all we really have to go on. At impact your left hand is pointing to your right shoulder and your right hand your left. This could explain the rigidity we see in your swing, trust me it isn't smooth. Ms Orchard was correct based on the evidence at hand.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=2845753.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2847868

From your videos I see an over the top move, your feet/shoulders are pointed right and the ball goes left. Throw down an alignment stick and prove me wrong. If the face of the club at impact was lined up perpendicular with your feet and shoulders you would have enormous slices, but you are shutting the face to align with the swing path. That requires a lot of timing to flip the hands, which leads to inconsistency.

If you are taking instruction, don't listen to internet critics. Your instructors are likely taking you down a path to build a swing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                  In this picture your right hand is strong, your left hand is weak. That's all we really have to go on. At impact your left hand is pointing to your right shoulder and your right hand your left. This could explain the rigidity we see in your swing, trust me it isn't smooth. Ms Orchard was correct based on the evidence at hand.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=2845753.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2847868

From your videos I see an over the top move, your feet/shoulders are pointed right and the ball goes left. Throw down an alignment stick and prove me wrong. If the face of the club at impact was lined up perpendicular with your feet and shoulders you would have enormous slices, but you are shutting the face to align with the swing path. That requires a lot of timing to flip the hands, which leads to inconsistency.

If you are taking instruction, don't listen to internet critics. Your instructors are likely taking you down a path to build a swing.
                  With so many factors in a golf swing, no wonder it's the hardest game in the world...one week DJ wins the Open, the next he doesn't even make a cut, I've quickly realized that with this game, patience is key and that you will never, ever be 100% consistent, just too many driving factors (no pun intended), so I'm just trying to find a swing that isn't overkill powerful anymore, just a stable, fluid swing that I can use always at 70% power and get the ball in the direction I want, I find toning down the power increases your chances of being more consistent.

Comment

With so many factors in a golf swing, no wonder it's the hardest game in the world...one week DJ wins the Open, the next he doesn't even make a cut, I've quickly realized that with this game, patience is key and that you will never, ever be 100% consistent, just too many driving factors (no pun intended), so I'm just trying to find a swing that isn't overkill powerful anymore, just a stable, fluid swing that I can use always at 70% power and get the ball in the direction I want, I find toning down the power increases your chances of being more consistent.
                    No ****!
                    Sorry couldn't help it.

Look at Tiger's game and Rory's game after they got jacked; it didn't help. Rory is backing off the power and working on flexibility, I think it will serve him well. Especially in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post

No ****!
                      Sorry couldn't help it.

Look at Tiger's game and Rory's game after they got jacked; it didn't help. Rory is backing off the power and working on flexibility, I think it will serve him well. Especially in the long run.
                      I used to get so mad at myself if every single ball I hit wasn't just pure and perfect, you know that feeling when the ball is so perfectly compressed that it feels like melted butter under your club head and you stand and watch it take this beautiful flight path, create the perfect divot and thank the golf gods lol then i quickly realized not even the best pros in the world can get that every time (let alone a newbie to the game lmao) they hit a ball so I cut myself some slack haha I've watched tons of guys that shoot in the 60's right in front of me duff a ball or hit a nasty shank and then just look and laugh, meanwhile I used to get so upset at myself..this game can definitely teach a man a thing or two about his true personality and who he really is in the inside lol

Comment

• This reply by Golftime has been deleted by grasbunkers

I used to get so mad at myself if every single ball I hit wasn't just pure and perfect, you know that feeling when the ball is so perfectly compressed that it feels like melted butter under your club head and you stand and watch it take this beautiful flight path, create the perfect divot and thank the golf gods lol then i quickly realized not even the best pros in the world can get that every time (let alone a newbie to the game lmao) they hit a ball so I cut myself some slack haha I've watched tons of guys that shoot in the 60's right in front of me duff a ball or hit a nasty shank and then just look and laugh, meanwhile I used to get so upset at myself..this game can definitely teach a man a thing or two about his true personality and who he really is in the inside lol
                        Ask any player after a round how many really good shots they hit and the answer is usually between 5 and 10. It doesn't matter what the score was the answer is the same. It is the quality of the mishits that is most important.
                        Aim at nothing and you will hit it every time.

Originally posted by Golftime View Post

Ask any player after a round how many really good shots they hit and the answer is usually between 5 and 10. It doesn't matter what the score was the answer is the same. It is the quality of the mishits that is most important.
                        Yep, I learned that playing against a CPGA Pro lol not sure how many holes there was where his original drive wasn't the greatest and I was like yes finally my chance to win a hole, and then surely he parred the hole at the very worst lol meanwhile I could have a perfect drive and one bad shot but my bad shot cost me 3 extra strokes, so I know what you mean...I'm learning this crazy game slowly but surely lol

Comment

Playing Shawneeki tomorrow against another Pro lmao I'll be very honest and come post the score card when it's all said and done, was practicing tonight, felt a bit like DJ mixed with Phil and a bit of Rory with my irons lmao This guy shoots a consistent 72-75 so this should be a fun game haha

Comment

Another thing to help your scores...play againdt yourself and within yourself. Dont play against someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonp View Post
                              Another thing to help your scores...play againdt yourself and within yourself. Dont play against someone.
                              Ya I know brother, I gotta start doing that, everytime I start getting competitive in a game I mess up, my buddies always say when they play tourny's they don't even care or watch what the other guy is doing, no idea what his score is or what he's up to, they just play against themselves and for their own scores, I definitely have to learn that man, good advice....let me know if you are ever down to play a round, I know who you are and heard you are pretty good and would definitely kick my *** lol but wouldn't mind playing with you for the knowledge!!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X