Collapse

How to pick an instructor?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pick an instructor?

I am wondering how people go about picking an instructor? Is it simply word of mouth or do people have a set of questions that they ask prior to? How do people go about gauging someone's knowledge of the golf swing and their ability communicate in a way that gets through to the lesson taker? Personally I am certainly a fan of GG and how he communicates/explains things but at his hourly rate / location - bit out of luck on that front.

What do you all look for when trying to pick an instructor?

I'd say it should be a bit of an interview process. I think it's important that you like your instructor and their teaching style before spending lots of money. Every instructor will convey info differently and it's gotta work for how you like to learn. Obviously price is also an important factor.
    What's in the bag?
    TM M2
    Cobra F6 fairway woods and irons
    PING Sigma G Putter
    Les Grossman: "I'm talking G5. Playa, playa"

Comment

Find one that listens more than talks which should be the same with good fitters.
      In the Hamilton Golf + CC Embroidered Ping Hoofer

Club Champion Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 A Flex​​
      Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, KuroKage 606 S
      TXG Custom T. Made SIM Max 21* 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2
      TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R

TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-Pw, 1* up, Recoil ESX 460 R
      PXG 0211 GW, 50*, UST Recoil Dart R
      TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115

Ping Glide 4.0, 58* TS/6, Nippon 115 S
      Tour Velvet Midsize Grips, Custom TXG Signature Putter Grip
      TXG Custom King Cobra Nova, 25 gram weights, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Comment

I would just add to always start with a single lesson, most will try to sell you on a package which is fine once you know you like them.

Comment

I remember watching a guy stripe balls on a range...I don't think he was a teaching pro...but he would raise the club up over his right shoulder before addressing the ball.....I did ask him why he did this and he said it was a feel thing.......my point is if a golf pro or even a good player can only offer feel to an obvious mechanical move as the answer to ball striking...forget him.......No feel stuff
          Last edited by par345; Feb 29, 2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

rgk5 in his post makes the good point that the instructor's method of teaching has to parallel with.how you take instruction best, be it through a visual demonstration or a verbal barrage.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

I found my instructor based on word of mouth and watching improvement in those that were students. I had one instructor that would take the club and say "ok watch me," no thanks . My teacher now, I make notes on issues and then we work on them and not once has he taken my club to show me. He explains all dynamics of issues involved etc. I recently showed him a picture at impact and we discussed it. From the photo we determined I was slowly going back to my old habit. no charge for the extra assessments.
              " the only shots you can be dead sure of are those you've had already."

WHATS IN THE BAG

Ping I20 9.5 stiff
              Sonartec 2.5 3/5 woods
              Mcgregor hybrids 3,4,5
              Ping i20
              MacGregor response
              Snickers tour bag
              Pro V1

Comment

You meet the instructor... he tells you what he is working on...ok cool,I like that..you say let me see you hit it....to the tee he goes and says-"doesn't matter where it goes".....oh..ok....he smacks it and we don't know where it went but he tells you what he is working was not done properly....hit a 2nd one and again where it goes does not matter we are informed....where indeed.. we are unsure....instructor again says his form is not correct....#3 is a snap hook....yes you guessed it ...wrong form again....and finally try # 4....striped down the middle. ..need to hit a snap hook in order to pure it down the middle he says...and the form?...nope still wrong.....what to do?....sign up for lessons at I dunno $200hr.....

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                X