/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Does the Swing Happen in FRONT of us or on the SIDE of us ???

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the Swing Happen in FRONT of us or on the SIDE of us ???

Hey all
    I'm having an absolutely wonderful Season so far, hope you r too

Working really hard on my swing and am actually starting to get my 5 iron quite decently up in the air and about 140-150 yards.
    With some luck, may be challenging scoring my age this season (78).

As per title, I am getting best results by staying "square-ish" thru impact, IOW my swing is happening "in front of me".
    Any time i try do get my hips "involved" things go heywire.

How about u - any comments/thoughts will be really appreciated.
    All best,
    serge.

Last edited by veryold; May 1, 2022, 07:46 PM.

At this point in your golf life, you are probably best to avoid make any major swing changes.

Improve your current swing, but don't try to adopt a new one. Spend your time enjoying the game rather than learning a new swing.

And, keep your hips out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
      At this point in your golf life, you are probably best to avoid make any major swing changes.

Improve your current swing, but don't try to adopt a new one. Spend your time enjoying the game rather than learning a new swing.

And, keep your hips out of it!
      Ha ha, a very sensible advice and much appreciated, ***BUT*** this old dog is never too old to try new tricks
      Cheers

Last edited by veryold; May 1, 2022, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Are you telling me that you have the same problem as Tiger?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcltuch31 View Post
          Are you telling me that you have the same problem as Tiger?
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDCryeYZEIw
          Very interesting, THANKS so much
          Finally I understand what he meant when he used to say "got stuck" in his own words
          IIANM, Jack Nicklaus also had a similar "anti-stucking" move/feeling when he said that his hands reach the impact before his shirt buttons do ?
          Cheers !

Comment

OP i admire you passion for always learning about the golf swing just don't end up up like Bryson with a season/career ending injury .

Comment

Originally posted by sunshiNee View Post
              OP i admire you passion for always learning about the golf swing just don't end up up like Bryson with a season/career ending injury .
              So much appreciated
              ...and so far, i'm all "intact" and playing pain/injury free, but i strictly maintain my priorities: (injury and pain free) >> (consistency/accuracy) >> (distance) although, I am still so dedicated to reach my goal of 220 yards drives
              Cheers !

Last edited by veryold; May 2, 2022, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                Ha ha, a very sensible advice and much appreciated, ***BUT*** this old dog is never too old to try new tricks
                Cheers

This what I like to read, good for you, keep that attitude that's what keeps us alive, not wanting to give up,
                Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                Pro V1x Left Dash
                Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Originally posted by hannah View Post
                  This what I like to read, good for you, keep that attitude that's what keeps us alive, not wanting to give up,

...although as i approach my 80's the @Benz's wise advice (above) is starting to make more and more sense, and i should, at least attempt to follow it

...and, while on the same subject, the good ol' Charles Bukowski's quote (after his night of drinking, of course) comes to mind:
                  “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”

Last edited by veryold; May 2, 2022, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post

...although as i approach my 80's the @Benz's wise advice (above) is starting to make more and more sense, and i should, at least attempt to follow it

...and the good ol' Charles Bukowski's quote (after his night of drinking, of course) comes to mind:
                    “Sometimes you climb out of bed in the morning and you think, I'm not going to make it, but you laugh inside — remembering all the times you've felt that way.”

Always strive for improvement as tomorrow you can be on the wrong side of the earth, enjoy the game for what it is and what you can get out of it but we are Golf Nuts till the end and we will always try to obtain 5 more yrds no matter how old we are
                    Thomas4golf

Ping G425 Max/Tensei AV Orange
                    Callaway XR Hybrids, 4, 5, 6 Accra I-Series
                    Miura TC-201 / 6 - PW N.S. Pro 950 GH
                    Callaway Jaws Raw /50* 54* 58* N.S. Modus
                    Ferrules by Bbandfco

Putter / Ping Prime Tyne 4
                    Pro V1x Left Dash
                    Leupold GX - 5C R.F.

Vessel Player 111 Stand Bag / Black
                    Stewart X9

Member: Coppinwood Golf Club

Comment

Serge. Never stop learning. As a senior I’ve made from small changes. You love to learn and that’s great. As this stage I don’t spend a lot of time on the range, but don’t change anything just yet.
                      Get a small bucket of balls and just hit that 5 iron. My teacher used to put it up on a tee. Check your grip, and stance.
                      Our bodies change every day. You may find that square doesn’t work that day. I tend to hit the ball best in a closed stance, but lately it’s been a bit open. Last year I worked on solid strikes for distance.
                      I can’t answer your question, but the swing happens to our side, then in front, then the side. But it’s doesn’t matter if your hitting your 5 solid.

I play with a group of guys your age and they chip and putt like crazy. They’re unbelievable around the green hitting running 7 and 8 irons and seldom miss anything I think 3 feet.

Comment

@woody & @hannah
                        Hey, such nice comments/thoughts by both of u - really appreciated and thanked
                        serge.

...and without a doubt, at least for me, the swing
                        ***MUST*** happen "IN FRONT OF ME"
                        and if it doesn't, my leading hip pain tells me so, IMMEDIATELY, LOL.

Comment

When things start going 'haywire' for me I find 'going back to the basics works best. In essence, slower, more 'structured' swing kind of like you're talking about. Also I find it tends to give me more distance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by munge View Post
                            When things start going 'haywire' for me I find 'going back to the basics works best. In essence, slower, more 'structured' swing kind of like you're talking about. Also I find it tends to give me more distance as well.
                            Hey, how are you doing
                            Still have the TM Driver (HL) from you, but instead of adjusting it to the "highest loft" available, i am turning the loft to "neutral" for this year - i guess i'm getting "stronger" as years go by
                            And re. the subject (the "SWING"), YES, completely agree with you, but making the swing "SIMPLE" seems to be the hardest thing in golf to achieve, isn't it
                            All best and cheers,
                            serge.

Last edited by veryold; May 10, 2022, 09:38 AM.

Comment

The club starts in “front” of us at setup and doesn’t get back there until mid follow through, so I would say it’s on our trail side the longest. The longer you can keep your arms, hands and club to the trail side of your mid line, the better.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X