/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

Keeping your head in it when the round slow down!

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping your head in it when the round slow down!

I don’t think I am the only one like this, but I play significantly better golf when I can just play! Waiting absolutely kills my game.Anyone else experience this? I know Brooksie does!

yesterday for example, front 9 we flew, 1:40 maybe, no waiting, played the 9 of my life shot a 35.

back 9 slowed down a bit, a lot of waiting. Got the back done in about 2:15, but like always the waiting got to me and I made a couple silly mistakes and shot 42, definitely happy with the 77, but feel it could have been closer to a 74-75

Your experience is very common, and is the primary complaint regarding slow play.

If slow play actually improved people's games, few would ever complain about it.

Comment

Originally posted by holeintwo88 View Post
      I don’t think I am the only one like this, but I play significantly better golf when I can just play! Waiting absolutely kills my game.Anyone else experience this? I know Brooksie does!

yesterday for example, front 9 we flew, 1:40 maybe, no waiting, played the 9 of my life shot a 35.

back 9 slowed down a bit, a lot of waiting. Got the back done in about 2:15, but like always the waiting got to me and I made a couple silly mistakes and shot 42, definitely happy with the 77, but feel it could have been closer to a 74-75
      Don't pull your club and stand waiting to play.

Wait until you see that the group in front is just about to move, pull your club and stick to your normal pre-shot routine.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post

Wait until you see that the group in front is just about to move, pull your club and stick to your normal pre-shot routine.
        Yep. This.

The hardest part is staying focused — when things slow down there’s more talking, joking and laughing. Or there’s anger that develops because you’re focused on the group ahead seemingly going too slow (whether they’re the cause or not).

Comment

Don't get me started. Of course some ball searches or learn to start walking off the tee or whenever after the last person hits (maybe should be you) and walk slower. The usual fill divots and ball marks on the green to keep you pre-occupied.

If a bad round, I want it done, so that too is an issue.

Comment

If no hope of playing through slow down. Walk slower between shots. Take your time getting set for the shot. All you can do is try to minimize the standing around. Depending on course layout 2:15 for 9 holes might be more manageable than at others but the delta between your front and back is difficult to adjust to. It's kinda like coming up onto a big traffic jam after driving on clear highway for a few hundred kms.

Comment

The majority of my rounds are played before 7 am so I am used to playing at a decent pace with not much waiting. We get through in 3-4 hours depending on the groups ahead.

I play a fair bit of competitive golf but am mostly lucky to tee off before 10am with good golfers ahead so despite the nature of the event we are almost always sub 4:20. Nonetheless, that extra hour versus my typical , casual golf means slowing my routine down a bit from normal. The key is to not rush , get impatient and stand there stewing over the ball.

Played a 2 day Member- Guest on Thursday and Friday in very tough conditions.....big winds. Lots of $$$ on the line. There were some painfully slow groups and a couple of the 9-hole matches took close to 3 hours but we just slowed things down, partner had some tunes playing softly. Told some jokes, helped each other plan each other's shot etc to not simply be standing and waiting over the ball.

I think when many players play quickly without waiting they do better because they have less time to think. In many of my casual rounds I don't take a practice swing ....just get there , grab a yardage, club and hit it.
              "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

That same thing happens every Sunday morning .

Comment

Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post

Same with at the tee box. See so many people tee their ball even though its at least a few mins before they can hit. To me, that mess up the pre-shot routine.
                  I rather tee it up when i am ready to hit, one practice swing, then go.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                  X