Collapse

How far do you hit your 7 iron?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How far do you hit your 7 iron?

amazing that after 5 pages of discussions nobody has talked about smash factor and ball speed.

you can have a slower swing speed but if the smash factor is higher (more on center hit) your ball speed will be higher and your carry will be longer.

I've seen a lot of guys trying to kill the ball and hit fat shots which slows down their club heads and at impact their ball speed is greatly reduce therefore reduced carry.

Bettinardi BEBG-1501 Staff Bag (Riding 14 Clubs)
    TRPX S-013 1W 9.5 | RomaRo Ray Type-R 5W+ 17 & UT 19 | United SBB1 Tour 3-PW & SBW2 53/57 | Bettinardi Queen Bee #6

Honma CB-3202 Stand Bag (Walking 12 Clubs)
    Baldo 8C Craft Brassy 2W 13 | George Spirit GTFW 5W 18 | Honma TW-U 21 & TW717M 4-PW | Romaro Alcobaca Stream Tour 58 | Bettinardi BB35

Comment

Originally posted by petvan View Post
      So I was getting fit at Ping the other day and working out with the 7 iron. Hit several of them with 190ish carry and few past 200 yards total according to trackman..

I think I called BS here too, but it appears pretty doable. Have to check the s56 lofts to see if they are stronger than my Rac LT2's, but I was at least 20 yards longer than normal with the same swing and new sticks. Also had gone from a bit more than R flex to KBS tour shafts at X flex. Ball flight was more or less same height and same spin rate though.

I'm sure everyone is glad I bumped this thread! Just thought I'd throw newbie a bone ;-)

oh, and numbers wise, from memory, mid 90's swing speed. ~1.4 smash, 5800 spin. can't recall launch angle.. probably delofting a bit. height was about 47 feet. Trackman is the bomb though.. could sit there all day ;-)

Pete
      Can I make a few suggestions....

1. I would take those readings with a grain of salt. 20 Yards of increased carry is a little much. Trackman is as accurate as they come but even the Ping fitters themselves have told me that because of the short hitting distance in the facility it can be fooled. At that short distance all that it does is use a formula to predict the flight. Trackman outdoors actually uses radar to track the entire flight of the ball.

2. Those are some pretty low spin numbers for a 7 iron...about 1500-1600 below tour average. Unless you were hitting flyers from the turf I would be worried about that number

3. Hitting irons off turf is not the best indicator of how you are going to actually hit these irons. You can rip away with no fear of the fats....as a matter of fact hitting it fat off mats will make you hit it farther very similar to a slap shot in hockey....iron hits turf behind ball....more torque and load added to the shaft...voila 20 yards longer than normal.

If I might ask what were your numbers like with the other clubs you tested out at Ping? As much as the Ping facility is pretty pressure free because they don't sell clubs on site don't be fooled...they are in the club sales business not the free fitting business!!
      Last edited by oNe16tH; Nov 15, 2010, 05:15 PM.
      Ping G430lst 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
      Titleist TSI2 15 Tensei Pro Orange 80tx
      Titleist TSI2 20.25 Tensei Pro Orange 90tx
      Titleist T100s KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
      Titleist SM8 KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
      L.A.B Golf Directed Force 2.1

Comment

I hit my 7 iron onto the green 3 out of 4 times yesterday so I figure I hit just about far enough.
        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

so I read through most of what everyone said an lots of good comments.. Now to throw a kicker into the mix.

For the low handicapper this should be known but how many of you know the true carry distance of your 7I. There are so many variables are you coming out of rough with no spin or hot.

Are you trying to stick the green with 7600 backspin and suck it back 5- 6 feet? These are the things that the mid handicapper needs to know and practice. Its not how far you hit the ball it how you control your shot time after time.

Thats what will make you a better golfer.

GTA Amateur Tour player, and wanna be better golfer

Comment

Originally posted by GolfNut01 View Post
            so I read through most of what everyone said an lots of good comments.. Now to throw a kicker into the mix.

For the low handicapper this should be known but how many of you know the true carry distance of your 7I. There are so many variables are you coming out of rough with no spin or hot.

Are you trying to stick the green with 7600 backspin and suck it back 5- 6 feet? These are the things that the mid handicapper needs to know and practice. Its not how far you hit the ball it how you control your shot time after time.

Thats what will make you a better golfer.
            How many players do you think really know how many rpm's of backspin they have?

Knowing their true carry distance is more than enough for most people to worry about.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
            TM SLDR 10.5*
            TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
            TM Rescue 22*
            4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
            Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
            Ping Ketch
            Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

I hit 7 about 165 and it doesn't tend to roll out too much. The only clubs I can back up are my wedges. Though the other day at Glen Cairn I pumped an 8 iron about 185 over the back left corner of #3 Speyside(downhill), I think it had ice on it when it came down.

I would think if you are controlling spin on middle irons you are in the realm of a low to + handicapper. Do you really think a mid capper should be worried about this? I would be more concerned with solid contact.

Comment

I know my backspin but then again I am also a scratch golfer. Which is my point I was making its not about the distance its about taking a smooth swing each time depending of course on the condition your hitting from.

It is funny when you get to a course and you are playing with guys that have never seen you swing. Get up to the first par three and they always ask what the other person is hitting? Why is that? Is it an ego thing someone says they are hitting a 9I 170 yards so of course they are gonna try it thinking your Tiger Woods.

Just learn your distances of your own clubs and don't worry what the guy next to you is hitting.

GTA Amateur Tour player, and wanna be better golfer

Comment

I know my backspin but then again I am also a scratch golfer. Which is my point I was making its not about the distance its about taking a smooth swing each time depending of course on the condition your hitting from.

It is funny when you get to a course and you are playing with guys that have never seen you swing. Get up to the first par three and they always ask what the other person is hitting? Why is that? Is it an ego thing someone says they are hitting a 9I 170 yards so of course they are gonna try it thinking your Tiger Woods.

Just learn your distances of your own clubs and don't worry what the guy next to you is hitting.
                  Funny, that has never happened to me, with strangers, in 30 years of playing golf.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                  TM SLDR 10.5*
                  TM Rescue 22*
                  Ping Ketch

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                    Funny, that has never happened to me, with strangers, in 30 years of playing golf.
                    Seriously or did you mean to put one of these after the statement?

It happens to me all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bern View Post
                      Seriously or did you mean to put one of these after the statement?

It happens to me all the time.
                      No I was serious.

I've had friends that know me and hit the ball a similar distance but never a stranger.

But then, I don't really have a game worth emulating

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                      TM SLDR 10.5*
                      TM Rescue 22*
                      Ping Ketch

Comment

Amen! Some people are so obsessed about somebody else's yardage for specific club.
                        Cobra King F7
                        Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
                        Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
                        Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
                        Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
                        Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
                          No I was serious.

I've had friends that know me and hit the ball a similar distance but never a stranger.

But then, I don't really have a game worth emulating
                          dont sell yourself shot,nothing wrong with your game

Comment

Originally posted by imAnewbie View Post
                            Amen! Some people are so obsessed about somebody else's yardage for specific club.
                            So how far do you hit your 7-iron again Nino? Lol... no strangers ask me what I'm hitting on starting par 3's ever.
                            ---
                            Driver: Taylormade R7 SuperQuad 10.5* Oban Devotion 6 Stiff
                            3-Wood: Taylormade V-Steel 15*
                            Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue 3-19*
                            Irons: Taylormade 300 forged 3-PW
                            Wedges: Taylormade RAC TP 52, 56, 60
                            Putter: 33" Scotty Red X2
                            Ball: Bridgestone B330s, Pro V1

Comment

I believe he hits a "stock" 7 iron 200 on the fly..... In the GT sims

btw do you practice a bunch with those bang blades? If you do I would get the lofts checked asap

On a serious note...in case you didn't know... hitting a bunch of range balls and especially off mats can really screw with your lofts
                              Last edited by oNe16tH; Nov 15, 2010, 08:34 PM.
                              Ping G430lst 9 Tensei Pro Orange 70tx
                              Titleist TSI2 15 Tensei Pro Orange 80tx
                              Titleist TSI2 20.25 Tensei Pro Orange 90tx
                              Titleist T100s KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
                              Titleist SM8 KBS Tour V 125 Tour Spec
                              L.A.B Golf Directed Force 2.1

Comment

Originally posted by Momo View Post
                                So how far do you hit your 7-iron again Nino? Lol... no strangers ask me what I'm hitting on starting par 3's ever.

Look what you started Mo

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X