Collapse

1-20 yd chip shots out of green-side rough

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1-20 yd chip shots out of green-side rough

I seem to be having a lot of trouble with these shorter chip shots, particularly out of rough around the green. 15-30 yds doesn't seem as much of an issue because I'm able to use my wedge to pop the ball out properly and some moderate distance - I assume I'm taking more of a swing and accelerating through the shot.

I find with these short little shots that I often catch bumps in the dirt, since of course the dirt isn't flat under the grass, and so my club hits a bit fat and barely moves the ball, or bounces fat and the bounce of the club kicks the edge of the club face into the ball. Or I swing thin and the ball just shoot out because I bladed it.

I've been doing all the weight on the front foot, lower case "y", choking down, etc stuff. I'm wondering what I'm missing.

I must be decelerating through impact to "finesse" the chip, only to have the ground have its way with my club.

Also, new wedges are proving to take some getting used to.

Any advice on how to deal with these short 1-10 yard chips and get them to actually go the distance I want them to?

Re: 1-20 yd chip shots out of green-side rough

put the wedge on its toe. Use a rocking-shoulder stroke with hands slightly forward and with straight arms. Choke down as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by dekker View Post
      put the wedge on its toe. Use a rocking-shoulder stroke with hands slightly forward and with straight arms. Choke down as needed.
      +1

If that doesn't work, try using a wedge with a higher loft. Sometimes I find it tricky to take the club back a very short distance for short chips. With a wedge with a higher loft, you will be able to take the club back a little bit more.
      What other people may find in poetry or art museums, I find in the flight of a good drive.
      - Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by mit006 View Post
        I seem to be having a lot of trouble with these shorter chip shots, particularly out of rough around the green. 15-30 yds doesn't seem as much of an issue because I'm able to use my wedge to pop the ball out properly and some moderate distance - I assume I'm taking more of a swing and accelerating through the shot.

I find with these short little shots that I often catch bumps in the dirt, since of course the dirt isn't flat under the grass, and so my club hits a bit fat and barely moves the ball, or bounces fat and the bounce of the club kicks the edge of the club face into the ball. Or I swing thin and the ball just shoot out because I bladed it.

I've been doing all the weight on the front foot, lower case "y", choking down, etc stuff. I'm wondering what I'm missing.

I must be decelerating through impact to "finesse" the chip, only to have the ground have its way with my club.

Any advice on how to deal with these short 1-10 yard chips and get them to actually go the distance I want them to?
        You have to be sure the ball is back in your stance and that the club face does NOT turn over which is accomplished by controlling the wrist hinge and as you referred to,do not decelerate .

Comment

Use a lob wedge.
          Open the face and your stance (~45°).
          Get the grip end of the club closer to the ground.
          Come in slightly steeper if there is dirt/turf behind the ball.
          Practice.

These will allow you to put a bigger swing on it while keeping the distance more or less the same.

Don't get cute - power through.

RM

Comment

Take your wedge and instead of laying it flat lift the heel so the toe is down and the heel up. Use a putting stroke for the chip and run.

Comment

LOL Flop shots! haha Stupid Mickelson DVD, all I do around the green now are flop shots! One thing I'd say, always commit to your shots, trust it and never decelerate.
              Cobra King F7
              Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
              Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
              Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
              Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
              Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

If you can see the back of the ball, try using a PW to 7i with a putting stroke.
                This works quite well if you only have a foot or so of fringe to get over.
                Just make sure the club face is at the right height on the ball and not sitting on the ground.

I've seen guys use 3w and even drivers like this.
                I don't know how they do it.
                The club seems way too long to get any touch out of it.

RM

Comment

Originally posted by mit006 View Post

Key is to not break your wrist and flip the wrist post impact. Lighter grip pressure and feel like your hinged wrist is hitting down on the ball. Focus on a spot on the ball and hit it on the money.

Comment

These chips gave me a ton of troubles too. Tried everything but just never hit the ball cleanly. Just never get a good feel so I couldn't judge distance properly, especially with the putter chip stroke.

What worked for me was to use some wrist hinge and use a strong grip (3-4 left knuckles visible) but with light pressure. The strong grip prevents me from breaking my wrist and flipping the club. I think this is similar to Phil's method though I've never seen his videos.

I get great feel with this and can judge distance quite well as a result. Since discovering this, I've chipped in so many times already. The feel and motion of the right hand and wrist is very similar to throwing a dart. My right hand grip on the club is kinda similar to gripping a dart too actually. Kinda strange I know but that's the best way I can describe it.

Comment

Originally posted by imAnewbie View Post
                      LOL Flop shots! haha Stupid Mickelson DVD, all I do around the green now are flop shots! One thing I'd say, always commit to your shots, trust it and never decelerate.
                      Haha ever since I got my lob wedge I can't stop doing flop shots! Not very successfully, I might add. It's just so much fun when you get a good one!

Comment

I dropped 10 shots greenside today by duffing these and not even coming close to getting on. One went into a bunker, then i had to get out, then on.... ARGH! Between those and 2 fat wedges in a row - my short game led me to a 96 today. Decent ball striking, 34 putts, only 1 lost ball (on 18).... This was the "best" 96 I ever shot today. I had the game to break 90

Can you tell I'm trolling the chipping forums..... lol
                        Driver: Callaway BB Epic 13.5, Veylix Alpina 673S - WILDEYE!
                        16.5* 4W: Ping G25, Fujikura Pro Wood 63R
                        20* 3H: Callaway Apex, Accra CS1 HB-M4
                        4-A: Callaway Apex Combo, Project X LZ 5.5
                        Wedges: TM TP 54/60-ATV, DG Spinner Wedge
                        Putter: SC Sqaureback No. 1
                        Bench: Ping Anser UST VTS TourSPX Hybrid Silver 75R
                        RCGA Factor: 11.6 (75 up to....)

Comment

I find the short chips are very troublesome .
                          I tend to decelerate when I play close to the pin.

I can overcome this tendency if I think of my body as a spring and preload the tension around my left leg waist, and back to match the distance.
                          Try to feel like the spring in a clockwork motor.
                          Tight for forty yards and only slightly sprung for five yards.

Setup with my feet aimed at ten oclock instead of twelve.
                          I just feel the spring load slowly and then release quickly and keep my head still.
                          I always use my 58 wedge and try to keep my hands fairly firm and quiet.

It is helping me get up and down more often.

Comment

Assess the lie first, most of the common mistakes are not assessing the lie of the ball. From there, hit your regular chip shots. I normally use a LW (as most of the guys here that play with me knows) and I will hit a flop shot (well most of the times, I blame the Mickelson DVD LOL), it's a fun shot but if you could pull it off your ball will stop in or release to the hole. If the rough is too thick, I always the face even more and take a bigger swing. Oh and ALWAYS HIT DOWN and commit on your shot. Trust it! Just my 2 cents
                            Cobra King F7
                            Cobra Bio Cell+ 12.5
                            Cobra Bio Cell+ 16*
                            Cobra Amp Pro 6-AW + KBS C-Tapers S
                            Cobra Tour Trusty Dual (56/60)
                            Bettinardi Studio 6

Comment

Originally posted by imAnewbie View Post
                              Assess the lie first, most of the common mistakes are not assessing the lie of the ball. From there, hit your regular chip shots. I normally use a LW (as most of the guys here that play with me knows) and I will hit a flop shot (well most of the times, I blame the Mickelson DVD LOL), it's a fun shot but if you could pull it off your ball will stop in or release to the hole. If the rough is too thick, I always the face even more and take a bigger swing. Oh and ALWAYS HIT DOWN and commit on your shot. Trust it! Just my 2 cents
                              i have tried and it doesnt work

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X