Collapse

Golf stores in Orlando

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf stores in Orlando

I'll be going to Orlando in November, with the family. Any recommendations on where to find a good selection of junior clubs? Preferably used?

Also, apparently, only Oak Trail in the Disney property has rentals for kids so it is our only choice of course. Has anyone ever played it? Any tips? We will also be renting the clubs and since we will be staying on property, I saw that they include the golf shoes and the kids rentals for free.

The 2 major stores are Golf Galaxy and the PGA Superstore. They are 5 minutes apart on Turkey Lake Road. GG is on the south side of Sand Lake Road, and PGA on the north side. The both have a good selection of junior clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Morris View Post
      Golf Galaxy and the PGA Superstore.
      These are your best options by far. Golf Galaxy is identical to Golftown, so while good, I wouldn’t make this a golf store destination. In other words, if you’ve never been to the PGA Superstore, make a point of going there. Its pretty darn big, with a great selection of used clubs.

Theres also Edwin Watts and America’s Golf Outlet, neither worth a trip unless you’re looking for something specific and can’t find it at the two above.

Oak Trail 9 hole is great if you have younger kids, but if they’re teens and can really play golf, you’re far better playing Magnolia or Lake Buena Vista. Or any of the bazillion other non-Disney courses.
      – Greg

Comment

Thanks for the tips! Kids are 5 and 8 so, while I would love to play other courses, I guess Oak Trail seems to be the best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
          Thanks for the tips! Kids are 5 and 8 so, while I would love to play other courses, I guess Oak Trail seems to be the best bet.
          Orange Lake, south-west of Animal Kingdom has 2 exec courses that would be just as good (and prob cheaper) than Oak Trail. Their Legends Walk course doesn't charge for kids and even has night golf. Check out Cranes Bend and Legends Walk http://www.orangelakegolf.com/

Or try Grande Vista, kids play free after 3pm.
          – Greg

Comment

PGA Superstore in Orlando. There was also another golf store in the plaza next door that I walked to. I don't remember the pricing being very reasonable at either store. Pretty sure I bought a TM putter online from Sport Check while I was down there and ended up paying less for it even before factoring the exchange rate.

Comment

Originally posted by gushamilton View Post
              PGA Superstore in Orlando. There was also another golf store in the plaza next door that I walked to.
              That's Edwin Watts.

If you're gonna be near Universal, then there's no excuse for a stop at the PGA Superstore. It's 5 minutes away.

I forgot that if the OP is gonna be up near Mall of Millenia, there's a Dick's Sporting Goods there with a decent golf section.

When Golfsmith was still around, that was my routine. Golfsmith & Dick's while my wife was at Millenia, lunch at Chick-fil-A, then at least an hour at the PGA Superstore. Golf Galaxy too depending on my wife's temperature.

My wife is not a golfer but she actually likes going into the Superstore. Christmas ideas for her husband.
              – Greg

Comment

Night golf might be what I needed to try to sneak in a second round while down there. Didn't know they had that in Orlando!

Wife is keen on playing the Disney course for the "Disney" experience....so we will have to settle on the Oak Trail and see what kind of experience we will have. Maybe the lakes are filled with chocolate, the trees can speak or the tees float in the air

I'll be surely checking out at least the PGA superstore and Golf Galaxy and maybe the others as well, if we have time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
                  Wife is keen on playing the Disney course for the "Disney" experience.
                  Yeah, go play it, you'll have fun.

And while I hesitated posting this next part, I don't want you or your wife to get your hopes up.

I can't speak for Oak Trail, but Magnolia or LBV don't have much "Disney." Other than the Marshall driving by waving a giant mickey hand and a mouse-shaped bunker or two, don't expect to be at the Happiest Place on Earth.

I remember being excited to play a Disney course for the first time, but being terribly disappointed by the 18th hole. The golf was fine, but I guess I was expecting something magical. In the end, it was just a good golf course, and I found way better (and way worse) courses nearby.

Others may disagree, but those are some thoughts.
                  – Greg

Comment

We are only expecting to have an empty course (first week of Nov) and have a good time with the kids. My only expectation is to see more flowers and gardening details than we see elsewhere and maybe an alligator or too

Comment

Following up on my trip!

We played Oak Trail the morning after a very rainy night. Lots of "casual water" but after a couple holes the sun came out and it started to dry. Second half of the round was much better in that regard. We saw 2 gators, 2 deer (or whatever they are called down there) and lots of turkey roaming around the course.

Rentals were TaylorMade M6 and Spyder putter and since we were staying on property, included shoes (they didn't have the sizing for my younger son though) as well as the kids rentals for free. Push carts were Cliggear. I enjoyed playing the M6s but didn't seem to play it better or worse than my regular Mizunos. The "twist face" might be a gimmick, but I liked the sound of a properly hit shot

Both kids enjoyed it and it was the 1st time they walked and played without complaining about being tired towards the end of the round Starter gave them a few Disney bag tags and I bought them Mickey ball markers ($17 versus $10 for a generic one at PGA superstore) at the pro shop to highlight the nice morning we spent together.

Went to PGA superstore and Golf Galaxy. Price wise, nothing that was worth it. They had some good deals on clothing and shoes. In checking the kids clubs, which I was more interested in, there was no advantage in buying there over buying at Golftown. Golf Super Outlet, on International Drive took the top spot in my list of worse golf shops I've ever been to. I'm glad I didn't go out of my way to check it out, since I stopped by when we were driving by it.

Checked a couple Dick's but the stores I've been to had a rather small golf section, and only a few shoes that were really an excellent deal.

Overall it was a nice but tiring trip, doing all the parks. I went twice, but my older son went on the Avatar ride four times the same day and all of it with fast passes. Not sure anyone else has ever been able to do it, given the regular wait times!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                      X