No announcement yet.
Collapse

Which golf course to choose?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a course you can join or maybe you're already a member?

CYPRESS LANDING GOLF COURSE IS PROUD TO OFFER A WOMEN’S GOLF ASSOCIATION (WGA) AND A MEN’S GOLF ASSOCIATION (MGA). ONE OF THE MANY BENEFITS OF BEING A MEMBER AT CYPRESS […]

Bathurst Glen is a fine course to start. No need to think about it too much and just have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post
      Wonder if you have considered looking at a trial membership at the Ladies' Club of Toronto in Thornhill?

The Game - Ladies’ Golf Club of Toronto (ladiesgolfclub.com)​

Oh, of course I saw only today that by taking the toll road, that club is just under 30 min from home. Oh well. The place looks really nice! I wonder if it's expensive. πŸ€” I have a feeling that golf can be insanely expensive if you don't watch your spending. And I don't want to spend a fortune. πŸ˜…

Comment

Originally posted by StouffvilleGirl View Post

Oh, of course I saw only today that by taking the toll road, that club is just under 30 min from home. Oh well. The place looks really nice! I wonder if it's expensive. πŸ€” I have a feeling that golf can be insanely expensive if you don't watch your spending. And I don't want to spend a fortune. πŸ˜…
        I'm guessing the trial membership at TLGC is $6500-$8000+/yr and maybe a quarterly or monthly F&B minimum on top of that.

You said you are new to golf and a beginner golf....you might find joining a private club intimidating especially golfing with others.
        You would likely also go through an interview/introduction to determine if you are a "right fit" for the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
          I'm guessing the trial membership at TLGC is $6500-$8000+/yr and maybe a quarterly or monthly F&B minimum on top of that.

You said you are new to golf and a beginner golf....you might find joining a private club intimidating especially golfing with others.
          You would likely also go through an interview/introduction to determine if you are a "right fit" for the club.
          Ohhhh that club sounds very undesirable. πŸ˜…

Are clubs having interviews often to select their members? Very strange. But then again, I am new to the sport.

Comment

Are clubs having interviews often to select their members? Very strange. But then again, I am new to the sport.
            Some really high end clubs may require an interview - but not all. Others may require a written endorsement from one or two existing members - seeking information on social "fit" and financial capability, but not all.

Some are a matter of "who you know".

Others are more than happy to take your money, no questions asked.

Some I guess may possibly check out any social media presence, as might be done for a job, but that is just a guess on my part.

Mine did not even do a background security check.....which was a good thing.

Just don't tell them you are on the TGN's.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

It is not unusual at all for high end private golf clubs to interview potential new members;
              in fact it is probably the norm.
              A friend who is a member at Mad River GC was interviewed at his home my the club's "Captain" who also wanted to meet the whole family apparently.
              Like Fore Warned noted, they want to establish a good social fit, not unreasonable when you consider the amount of money members are investing.
              Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

I would not describe TLGC or any private golf clubs as undersirable.
                It's the cost of trial memberships and process of being selected to join.

I personally would not join a private club that didn't vet the club's new member applicants.
                Ya want to weed out any "questionable" candidates that might want to join.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr22putt View Post
                  I would not describe TLGC or any private golf clubs as undersirable.
                  It's the cost of trial memberships and process of being selected to join.

I personally would not join a private club that didn't vet the club's new member applicants.
                  Ya want to weed out any "questionable" candidates that might want to join.
                  What kind of candidates are questionable?

​​​​​​
                  ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by 4underthru9 View Post

It is not unusual at all for high end private golf clubs to interview potential new members;
                    in fact it is probably the norm.
                    A friend who is a member at Mad River GC was interviewed at his home my the club's "Captain" who also wanted to meet the whole family apparently.
                    Like Fore Warned noted, they want to establish a good social fit, not unreasonable when you consider the amount of money members are investing.

Meet the whole family? Why?

What kind of questions do they ask in the interview? What is a good social fit in a golf club?

Comment

Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

Some really high end clubs may require an interview - but not all. Others may require a written endorsement from one or two existing members - seeking information on social "fit" and financial capability, but not all.

Some are a matter of "who you know".

Others are more than happy to take your money, no questions asked.

Some I guess may possibly check out any social media presence, as might be done for a job, but that is just a guess on my part.

Mine did not even do a background security check.....which was a good thing.

Just don't tell them you are on the TGN's.
                      Oh no!! When they find out I am in Toronto Golf Nuts, they disqualify me even from minigolf and hopscotch!! πŸ˜‚

Comment

Meet the whole family? Why?
                        What kind of questions do they ask in the interview? What is a good social fit in a golf club?
                        Don't worry about it! I just spoke with Mad River and their wait list is in excess of a 100.
                        So I would stick with what you have for at least the 2024 golf season, things might changeb next year, but probably not.
                        Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Don't worry about it! I just spoke with Mad River and their wait list is in excess of a 100.
                          So I would stick with what you have for at least the 2024 golf season, things might changeb next year, but probably not.
                          I am not worried. 😊
                          not intending to join a club now anyway. Just curious about how the process works. I actually googled the topic a little.
                          Last edited by StouffvilleGirl; Apr 22, 2024, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I am not worried. 😊
                            not intending to join a club now anyway. Just curious about how the process works. I actually googled the topic a little.
                            Maybe not; but you are learning a lot on how the system works, and that should help you moving forward, maybe.

Comment

Looks like Royal Asburn has openings in their Wednesday Ladies League

Comment

Maybe not; but you are learning a lot on how the system works, and that should help you moving forward, maybe.
                                Okay, thank you?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X