Collapse

New to everything.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to everything.

Hey, all. I am new to the sport of golf. I've been to the driving range maybe 3 times over a two-year span and used the drivers they've got there, or a friend's clubs (strictly entry-level equipment).

What I'd like to know is if a cheapo starter set of clubs will suit its purpose if my main desire is simply to launch some balls every now and then on a nice day out. I've read a handful of posts here suggesting to look at the Buy/Sell forum for deals on used equipment and wonder if I should just buy something that a more avid golfer no longer has any use for - I'm keen on the family of drivers tasker's selling, just because they appear to have been used by someone who knows what he's doing, are in good condition, and are modestly priced.

I realize most newbies start off with the same "just-wanna-send-balls-flying" mentality, and that real golf is putting and short game (is that even correct terminology?) - but really, I'd just like to work on my swing and go from there. If I catch the bug, I'll spring for lessons.

Oh, I stand about 6'4, 6'5. I imagine if I ever got serious I'd have to have clubs customized for my height - is this what "fitting" is, and how much does it run per club?

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight offered, and apologies to the hardcore golf heads shaking their heads while reading this post.

Re: New to everything.

Originally posted by Happy View Post
    Oh, I stand about 6'4, 6'5. I imagine if I ever got serious I'd have to have clubs customized for my height - is this what "fitting" is, and how much does it run per club?
    Your height may not necessarily mean you need custom fitting.

If your "hand height from ground", hand size, swing speed, are all "average", then "off the rack" clubs could work.

A visit to one of the custom clubmakers or filling out / sending your info to one of the online fitters should tell you where fitting will help.

Of course, even the worst, driving range rental / borrow club can technically "work" If you're only going to go to the range 3-3 times a year, even the best fitted clubs won't make a huge difference. The game takes a lot of practice unless you are very athletically talented, and/or you want to improve.

Mike

Comment

Hello Happy,
      Welcome to the board. If you're looking to just get out there and launch a few, pick something up in the buy/sell and trade section. Even something like these. http://www.torontogolfnuts.com/showthread.php?t=42389
      Then add a 3 wood, maybe a 5 wood, a nice putter and leave the driver until you can control the others.
      After you decide if the game is for you then you can spend a couple of mortgage payments and get yourself all blinged out.
      Have fun and enjoy.
      Mule
      In The Ogio
      Driver - Titleist TS4 w/Diamana
      Fairway Wood - KZG CH-II 3 wood w/Accra HF
      Hybrids - Nakashima NX 3 and 4 w/Accra HF
      Irons - Wilson FG Tour V2 w/KBS Tours
      Wedges - Wilson FG Tours w/TT DG SPinners
      Putter - Scotty Cameron Red X​
      MEMBER OF THE 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2016, 2018 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

welcome to the forum,what are you interested in?blades,game improvement irons?these questions need to be answered before you decide to invest in new or used equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
          welcome to the forum,what are you interested in?blades,game improvement irons?these questions need to be answered before you decide to invest in new or used equipment.
          Launching balls, improving my swing. For someone who's only been to the driving range a few times, my swing isn't horrible, but it doesn't feel natural, either. The driver/3/5 set tasker's selling seems like a good fit for my purposes.

Edit: Looks like I may be a bit too late. I'll have to wait for another deal to come along in the BST forum!

Comment

welcome to the group

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
            X