Collapse

Handicapping Rule Change

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicapping Rule Change

I began a thread elsewhere on the wisdom of yesterday's USGA announcement that solo rounds could no longer be posted for handicapping purposes. I could find no similar announcement by Golf Canada or the R&A. Does this mean that nothing will change in Canada such that solo rounds are eligible to be posted for handicap purposes?
    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Re: Handicapping Rule Change

Originally posted by mpare View Post
    I began a thread elsewhere on the wisdom of yesterday's USGA announcement that solo rounds could no longer be posted for handicapping purposes. I could find no similar announcement by Golf Canada or the R&A. Does this mean that nothing will change in Canada such that solo rounds are eligible to be posted for handicap purposes?
    I don’t know about Golf Canada, but the R&A does not have a locus in handicapping in its jurisdiction. In the UK and Ireland, handicapping is in the hands of CONGU, a union of the home nations of the UK and Ireland (including the Republic). Elsewhere in Europe, handicapping is done by The European Golf Association (EGA). In both CONGU and EGA handicapping, only scores from rounds played under competition conditions are counted towards handicap which means you always have a marker.

The USGA includes rules and handicapping in its remit.

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't realized that. Does that mean that non-competitive players don't have handicaps or am I misconstruing "competitive conditions"?

Originally posted by ColinL View Post
      I don’t know about Golf Canada, but the R&A does not have a locus in handicapping in its jurisdiction. In the UK and Ireland, handicapping is in the hands of CONGU, a union of the home nations of the UK and Ireland (including the Republic). Elsewhere in Europe, handicapping is done by The European Golf Association (EGA). In both CONGU and EGA handicapping, only scores from rounds played under competition conditions are counted towards handicap which means you always have a marker.

Comment

The handicap system relies on the honesty and integrity of the individual player and without those two ideals, the system becomes a farce. Does it not seem that those who are honest are being punished for the actions of the dishonest? One premise of the system is to try to play each stroke in a round to the best of one's ability and one does not need to be playing with others to do this.

Comment

I agree. That is the sentiment that I expressed in the other thread, but not as eloquently.

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
          The handicap system relies on the honesty and integrity of the individual player and without those two ideals, the system becomes a farce. Does it not seem that those who are honest are being punished for the actions of the dishonest? One premise of the system is to try to play each stroke in a round to the best of one's ability and one does not need to be playing with others to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinL View Post

What percentage of golfers in UK/Ireland play in "official" handicapped tournaments? In N America I'd suggest it's a pretty small percentage of players.

Comment

Originally posted by bogey5 View Post
              What percentage of golfers in UK/Ireland play in "official" handicapped tournaments? In N America I'd suggest it's a pretty small percentage of players.

It is actually a different flip on the question.

100% of players with a handicap in the UK/Ireland play in 'official' tournaments. Official tournament just means a club sanctioned event, either inter or intra club. It is the only way you can get a h/c over there, and you have to play in a minimum number to keep the h/c current.

Our situation on the good side of the pond is different. The USGA decided that all rounds should count toward the h/c, so we have a large percentage of players with a h/c who never go into an event.

The percentage of golfers with a h/c over here is around 20-25%. Of those, who knows how many regularly enter events.
              I do not know what percentage of golfers over there have a h/c, but human nature suggests it would be about the same.

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't realized that. Does that mean that non-competitive players don't have handicaps or am I misconstruing "competitive conditions"?

In one of the other threads, I believe it was aaagc, posted a very good link to the CONGU site which explained what a club had to do to have a competitive competition, and how the h/c were calculated based on playing in such rounds. Apart from Club Championships, most club events on this side of the pond would not qualify for being used for a h/c(at least not at the 3 clubs I have belonged to).

Comment

Virtually all members of clubs (in the CONGU area) have official handicaps. It is estimated that just under 50% of players are members of clubs. The non members (so called itinerants or independents) simply pay green fees at clubs or play on "pay'n'play" courses and do not have handicaps.

All clubs are obliged to run sufficient qualifying competitions each year to enable all members to have the opportunity of maintaining a realistic handicap. Usually at least one a week.
                  Members who play less than 3 have their handicap marked as 'non competition', which in effect means they cannot win prizes in competitions. They are usually allowed to play in competition but only as a means of getting their handicap back to competition status.
                  Qualifying competitions are singles medal or stableford played strictly to the RoG. In addition players can return Supplementary Scores (played on their own with a marker). But they have to register their intent before playing.
                  Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                  - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

The Golf Canada Handicap Committee is still reviewing the information.
                    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

Originally posted by LobWedge View Post
                      The Golf Canada Handicap Committee is still reviewing the information.
                      Well, that was quick. Golf Canada just tweeted that they will not implement the mandatory peer review changes adopted by the USGA.
                      When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

Good.

Originally posted by LobWedge View Post
                        Well, that was quick. Golf Canada just tweeted that they will not implement the mandatory peer review changes adopted by the USGA.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
                          Our situation on the good side of the pond is different. The USGA decided that all rounds should count toward the h/c, so we have a large percentage of players with a h/c who never go into an event.
                          Just to clarify, the USGA does not define the Rules of Golf in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                            Just to clarify, the USGA does not define the Rules of Golf in Canada.

Yep, Golf Canada(nee RCGA) does.

Can anyone point to a Canadian only rule in the RoG? Not even our desperately needed leaf rule?

Can anyone point out the h/c difference between the USGA and Golf Canada?(I know there used to be one, but I am not sure if that still applies in this time frame)((no points for stating they have an 'index' and we have a 'factor'))

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
                              Yep, Golf Canada(nee RCGA) does.

Can anyone point to a Canadian only rule in the RoG? Not even our desperately needed leaf rule?

Can anyone point out the h/c difference between the USGA and Golf Canada?(I know there used to be one, but I am not sure if that still applies in this time frame)((no points for stating they have an 'index' and we have a 'factor'))
                              Up until a couple of years ago there was a difference in equitable stroke control. Then Golf Canada decided to adopt the USGA way apparently to deal with all the snowbirds who play golf in the US over the winter. I'd bet less than 1% of snowbirds ever post their scores.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X