Collapse

Ready Golf??? For Better or For Worse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ready Golf??? For Better or For Worse

We all want to finish the round in reasonable time, and believing all golfer want to take as much time as they can to prepare their shot or reading the green. Here is the thing, my buddies like the ideal to play ready golf when we hack a round or two every week. Ready Golf" means if you are ready you can play first. But I found out this "ready golf " will never work and never fair, since the player should be in turn is never the 1st one ready, it always someone else.

For better or for worst, should normal playing sequences should be enforced (except extreme situation, ex lost ball), on the tee, on the fairway, and on the green. Is this "ready golf" ever works for you guys at all? To saving round time and fairness of the game, which is proper and better? Ready golf or Follow the rule, or in between. Knowing it is just a game, but killing me when someone try to take advantage of the most valuable thing in life - time. What say you?

Re: Ready Golf??? For Better or For Worse

I play ready golf unless it's competitive. I'm sorry but I'm not standing at my ball for 7 minutes while you go through a pre shot routine and then change clubs etc

And how would the first person up not be as ready as the others?
    MEMBER OF THE 2008/2011/2014/2016TGN/OGF RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by BunkerKiller View Post
      We all want to finish the round in reasonable time, and believing all golfer want to take as much time as they can to prepare their shot or reading the green. Here is the thing, my buddies like the ideal to play ready golf when we hack a round or two every week. Ready Golf" means if you are ready you can play first. But I found out this "ready golf " will never work and never fair, since the player should be in turn is never the 1st one ready, it always someone else.

For better or for worst, should normal playing sequences should be enforced (except extreme situation, ex lost ball), on the tee, on the fairway, and on the green. Is this "ready golf" ever works for you guys at all? To saving round time and fairness of the game, which is proper and better? Ready golf or Follow the rule, or in between. Knowing it is just a game, but killing me when someone try to take advantage of the most valuable thing in life - time. What say you?
      You lost me a few times but "ready golf", when done properly can save a lot of time over the course of a round.

I can't understand what problems you're having with it.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
      TM SLDR 10.5*
      TM SLDR 3W & TM V-Steel 5W
      TM Rescue 22*
      4-PW Mix of Mizuno MX-25's and TM RBZ's
      Wedges: Titleist SM 53* & 56*
      Ping Ketch
      Ball: What's on sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Leftygolfer30 View Post
        You lost me a few times but "ready golf", when done properly can save a lot of time over the course of a round.

I can't understand what problems you're having with it.
        In general, if everyone follow the principal of "ready golf", you indeed save time. However, practically or at least from what I saw, my playing partner who should play 1st, is always take longer time than normal to survey the green, and slowly go thru the routine. WHY? he always reply that we playing ready golf, if you are ready you go. this is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Albatross View Post
          I play ready golf unless it's competitive. I'm sorry but I'm not standing at my ball for 7 minutes while you go through a pre shot routine and then change clubs etc

And how would the first person up not be as ready as the others?
          From what I saw, my playing partners should go first is always not ready, because of the ready golf concept. The supposed cure is became the source. Looking for a solution here, might be should be just tell him play faster.

Comment

In general, if everyone follow the principal of "ready golf", you indeed save time. However, practically or at least from what I saw, my playing partner who should play 1st, is always take longer time than normal to survey the green, and slowly go thru the routine. WHY? he always reply that we playing ready golf, if you are ready you go. this is the problem.
            Sounds like you're playing with the wrong people.

It sounds like your playing partner plays too slow regardless of whether it's his turn or not.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
            TM SLDR 10.5*
            TM Rescue 22*
            Ping Ketch

Comment

Sounds like you're playing with the wrong people.

It sounds like your playing partner plays too slow regardless of whether it's his turn or not.
              ^^^^^
              This.

Comment

I play ready golf just don't walk ahead of me .

Comment

Originally posted by nearace View Post
                  Or anywhere on your right Howie.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                  TM SLDR 10.5*
                  TM Rescue 22*
                  Ping Ketch

Comment

From what I saw, my playing partners should go first is always not ready, because of the ready golf concept. The supposed cure is became the source. Looking for a solution here, might be should be just tell him play faster.
                    I don't think you know what ready golf is :

1) Your playing partner is "away" / furthest from the hole, but you are say 20-30 yards ahead of him waiting for him.

Even though you are closer, if you are "ready" / over the ball, then hit your shot

That is what ready golf is.

If you understand that situation, and you are already doing that, then explain your situations in more detail.

If in the above, you've hit, and the other guy is still "fussing" over the ball, I would start walking, maybe he'll eventually get the message.

I really hope you guys don't all just walk up to the ball who's away, and wait there until that guy hits his shot, before you walk to your balls. I see that all the time, even worse with carts.

Comment

In another thread a member of the forum said Ready Golf is being ready when it is your turn. Sounds good to me and it keeps the etiquette and honours of golf going. But I usually play what most will call ready golf and personally I think the best time saver is putting out (within reason) when it is your turn.
                      On the flip side how ready is too ready? I was making one heck of a mess of one hole. Lost a ball in the neighboring fairway and could not find it for a couple minutes. So I played another but as my group had already moved way up I was out of sorts and shanked my ball just into the crap on the other side of my fairway. I looked for 30 seconds, dropped a ball and shot again, up to the level fo the green. By the time I got to the green my group had putted out and were on the next tee block. Not cool.
                      I send pictures ~ through the mail ~ of buried treasures ~ and Humpback whales ~to famous people ~ I do not know ~ I sign "Sincerely, ~ Matthias Doe" ~ I await ~ their response...

Comment

Yes, ready golf only really works on the tee box , or if all of the foursome hit the ball pretty much the same distance off the tee. Who's ever ready off the tee, go for it or if there is a group in the fairway, let the shorter hitters go first when the group is sufficiently out of range for that person.

After the tee shot.....Many players, especially higher cappers and less consistent golfers do not like it when players are ahead of them. It doesn't matter if they are 20 yards up and 10 yards right, it makes them uncomfortable and nervous so I rarely walk ahead unless I am way off the fairway, and then I always ask if they are comfortable if I walk ahead to my ball. Additionally, even if a player is comfortable with people ahead of them, people who are ahead often are moving around, taking practice swings or such and this can distract and slow down the player behind so he waits till they are still.

On the green..... It's my experience that people are less welcoming of ready goLF there. We usually , play out to in but sometimes switch it up to in to closest goes first. If somebody is raking a bunker or blasts it over the green and still has to chip we will go ahead and putt as they do their thing, but even then you ar pulling the flag, putting it down then putting the flag back in, then pulling it again, not sure it's any faster.

IMO, Hard to make everybody play one way .
                        "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Or anywhere on your right Howie.
                          very true

Comment

Originally posted by Weirfan View Post
                            IMO, Hard to make everybody play one way .
                            It's really not that difficult to play ready golf properly at all.

Most of the guys I play regularly with always play ready golf and never have a problem. For example, after tee shots, everyone goes directly to their own ball. If someone needs help looking for their ball then the person who landed closest to them helps them look. The other two proceed to their ball and hit when ready. Then the other two hit and catch up. Rarely do all 4 of us walk in a pack, unless on the rare occasions where everyone hits the fairway close to each other.

No one ever walks in front of someone else. No one has ever disrupted another's shot routine and no one has ever delayed anyone else. I would guesstimate that there is never more than 30-60 seconds between each other's shots when everyone is in play and doesn't need to search for a (my) ball.

Playing ready golf is easy and applies to way more than who's turn it is on the tee.

If someone has a 5 minute preshot routine then nothing will help them or their playing partners.

WIT SM C130 Cart Bag:
                            TM SLDR 10.5*
                            TM Rescue 22*
                            Ping Ketch

Comment

Walking/driving ahead of me is fine as long as you stop as I'm about to address the ball to start my swing.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X