Collapse

What would be the ruling here?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the ruling here?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Click on the link and have a look at the GIF.

Re: What would be the ruling here?

OMG! What a mess for a ruling. 4 strokes maybe?
    Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

Originally posted by rpangman View Post
      Why four?

Comment

Try one. Ball at rest (it had stopped moving) accidentally moved by player's equipment - one stroke and replace the ball. The subsequent deflection of the ball by his shoulder is irrelevant.

Comment

Some etiquette violations here too....better clean up those belly marks around the hole. Wonder how his playing partner felt about that...?

Comment

This one has been around for some time. At the time and at the moment it would, as said, be one penalty stroke and the ball must be replaced.

Interestingly, from January 1st, if the new local rule is in place, there would be no penalty. The ball would still be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
              Why four?
              I saw this on another site. 1 stroke putting, one stroke hitting putter again and 2 strokes for hitting player.
              Gone golfin' ... be back about dark-thirty.

Comment

I saw this on another site. 1 stroke putting, one stroke hitting putter again and 2 strokes for hitting player.
                Only one penalty stroke for the ball being hit by the player's putter. No additional penalty for it then hitting him.

See Decision 1-4/12 Example 1

Comment

Originally posted by ColinL View Post
                  This one has been around for some time. At the time and at the moment it would, as said, be one penalty stroke and the ball must be replaced.

Interestingly, from January 1st, if the new local rule is in place, there would be no penalty. The ball would still be replaced.
                  Make a reminder in your calendar and bring this back out in early January and we'll see if anyone gets it right then!

We've got a short attention span around here....
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

Why wouldn't there be two penalties imposed here? The breaches resulted from two separate acts, which though connected temporally were distinct from one another. The first action was tossing the putter in the air and failing to catch it as a result of which it landed on the ball. The other action was stumbling forward in the attempt to catch it and falling on the green where the ball struck him. I guess my issue is distinguishing when multiple potential penalties will be considered as having resulted from one act or two separate acts. I have read the clarification in the rules on that question, but how it should be applied in this case isn't obvious to me.

Originally posted by ColinL View Post
                    Only one penalty stroke for the ball being hit by the player's putter. No additional penalty for it then hitting him.

See Decision 1-4/12 Example 1
                    http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-...ion-01,d1-4-12
                    Last edited by mpare; Dec 22, 2016, 06:13 AM.
                    This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post
                      Why wouldn't there be two penalties imposed here? The breaches resulted from two separate acts, which though connected temporally were distinct from one another. The first action was tossing the putter in the air and failing to catch it as a result of which it landed on the ball. The other action was stumbling forward in the attempt to catch it and falling on the green where the ball struck him. I guess my issue is distinguishing when multiple potential penalties will be considered as having resulted from one act or two separate acts. I have read the clarification in the rules on that question, but how it should be applied in this case isn't obvious to me.
                      I.M.O. the answer to your question can be found in the final paragraph of 1-4/12, the first bullet point:

in making the judgement whether two acts are related or unrelated, the Committee should consider, among other things, the similarity of the acts, how close to one another they are in terms of time and location and whether there were any intervening events;

Comment

You're right. In light of those factors, this should be a one penalty case. Thanks.

Originally posted by JGT4 View Post
                        I.M.O. the answer to your question can be found in the final paragraph of 1-4/12, the first bullet point:

in making the judgement whether two acts are related or unrelated, the Committee should consider, among other things, the similarity of the acts, how close to one another they are in terms of time and location and whether there were any intervening events;
                        This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

You're right. In light of those factors, this should be a one penalty case. Thanks.
                          Examples: In 1-4/12 and 13, there is a significant interval in time between the two rules infractions to warrant the two penalties. However, similar to 1-4/15, a player could be leaning on a branch when it breaks, and then fall trying to maintain his balance, but in doing so moves his ball, only one of the penalties would apply.
                          Last edited by Shadow; Dec 23, 2016, 07:59 AM.

Comment

You also have to decide in this case whether one rule has been breached twice or two rules have been breached.

I.M.O. only one rule has been breached, 18-2, and only when the ball at rest was moved. The subsequent part of the scenario does not involve a ball at rest, it is a ball in motion, but not a ball in motion after a stroke, so no breach of 19-2.

Comment

Interestingly, if the new Local Rule had been in effect, there would be no penalty...
                              When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X