legal use of long putter ?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: legal use of long putter ?

Originally posted by gbower View Post
    Try it and if your elbow is anchored to your side your forearm will be also touching unless you're double jointed. I've tried it and demoed it.
    Doing it right now. Not an issue. As I stated to veryold, the USGA diagram specifically allows the bracing of one or both elbows to the body. The point with the forearm is whether it is specifically being used to restrict arm movement by holding it purposely to the body. There's always a chance of some incidental contact because we're not all built the same. The real test is whether you still have freedom of motion in the elbow joint and forearm when you take your grip and stance, so it's still a pivot point, but not an anchor.

When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

If your hands are separated with one at the top of the long putter and one down the shaft you would be anchoring. If the hands are together as in all the allowed ones you are fine. The one picture with the long putter has nothing against the body.

Comment

Sometimes it helps to refer back to the Rules/Decisions:

14-1b/1
        Intentionally Holding Forearm Against Body When Making Stroke
        Q.Rule 14-1b prohibits a player from anchoring the club by use of an "anchor point," which Note 2 to the Rule defines as a player intentionally holding "a forearm in contact with any part of his body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club." Does this always preclude the player from intentionally holding his forearm against his body when making a stroke?
        A.No. A player is permitted to intentionally hold one or both forearms against his body in making a stroke, provided doing so does not create an anchor point – see Decision 14-1b/2. (New)
        14-1b/2
        Meaning of "Anchor Point" in Note 2 to Rule 14-1b
        Q.Rule 14-1b provides that a player must not anchor the club during a stroke by using an "anchor point." In Note 2 to the Rule, which defines "anchor point," what does it mean "to hold a forearm in contact with any part of the body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club"?
        A.The "anchor point" provision prohibits only a very specific type of stroke in which a forearm is intentionally held against the body as an indirect means of anchoring the club. For an anchor point to exist, the following two criteria must be met: (1) the player must intentionally hold a forearm against the body; and (2) he must grip the club so that the hands are separated and work independently from one another (i.e., the top hand effectively secures the club in place as if attached to the body to establish a stable point, while the bottom hand is held down the shaft to swing the lower portion of the club around that point). (New)
        14-1b/3
        Explanation of "Forearm" in Relation to Rule 14-1b
        Note 1 to Rule 14-1b provides that a player may hold his club against his hand or forearm in making a stroke. For the purpose of Rule 14-1b, "forearm" is the part of the arm below the elbow joint and includes the wrist. (New)

Comment

Thanks Rulie.

Comment

Originally posted by rulie View Post
            Sometimes it helps to refer back to the Rules/Decisions:

14-1b/1
            Intentionally Holding Forearm Against Body When Making Stroke
            Q.Rule 14-1b prohibits a player from anchoring the club by use of an "anchor point," which Note 2 to the Rule defines as a player intentionally holding "a forearm in contact with any part of his body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club." Does this always preclude the player from intentionally holding his forearm against his body when making a stroke?
            A.No. A player is permitted to intentionally hold one or both forearms against his body in making a stroke, provided doing so does not create an anchor point – see Decision 14-1b/2. (New)
            14-1b/2
            Meaning of "Anchor Point" in Note 2 to Rule 14-1b
            Q.Rule 14-1b provides that a player must not anchor the club during a stroke by using an "anchor point." In Note 2 to the Rule, which defines "anchor point," what does it mean "to hold a forearm in contact with any part of the body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the club"?
            A.The "anchor point" provision prohibits only a very specific type of stroke in which a forearm is intentionally held against the body as an indirect means of anchoring the club. For an anchor point to exist, the following two criteria must be met: (1) the player must intentionally hold a forearm against the body; and (2) he must grip the club so that the hands are separated and work independently from one another (i.e., the top hand effectively secures the club in place as if attached to the body to establish a stable point, while the bottom hand is held down the shaft to swing the lower portion of the club around that point). (New)
            14-1b/3
            Explanation of "Forearm" in Relation to Rule 14-1b
            Note 1 to Rule 14-1b provides that a player may hold his club against his hand or forearm in making a stroke. For the purpose of Rule 14-1b, "forearm" is the part of the arm below the elbow joint and includes the wrist. (New)
            This is exactly what I was getting at.
            When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

So how about my earlier question:
              if my arms (upper and lower) ARE NOT touching my body, BUT I KEEP MY LEFT ARM STATIONARY DURING SWING, is that legal ?.

Comment

Originally posted by veryold View Post
                if my arms (upper and lower) ARE NOT touching my body, BUT I KEEP MY LEFT ARM STATIONARY DURING SWING, is that legal ?.
                Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by LobWedge View Post
                  Yes.
                  Awesome !!!
                  Thanks and cheers

Comment

That isn't what your original question said.
                    If your arms aren't touching your body you are fine but if you create an anchor point you aren't.

Comment

Your hand is permitted to bend or rotate at the wrist. However, if the bones in your arm connected to your wrist are fixed in relation to your body, then you are anchoring IMO.
                      Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                      - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

That isn't what your original question said.
                        kindly see post #11

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
                        However, if the bones in your arm connected to your wrist are fixed in relation to your body, then you are anchoring IMO
                        i don't understand what you mean by this ?
                        thanks

Comment

kindly see post #11
                          I was looking back at the original but what you say in post #11 will work fine.

Comment

i don't understand what you mean by this ?
                            thanks
                            Watch the video from 1:36 - 2:48.

Comment

I was looking back at the original but what you say in post #11 will work fine.
                              Appreciated

Originally posted by LobWedge View Post
                              Did watch and still confused, urgh !

IOW, the vid talks only that you cannot anchor the FOREARM to your body.

So what about:

1) having the UPPER ARM anchored to your body ?

2) having both, forearm and upper arm away from your body, but whole left arm is locked in space - is this considered "anchoring" ?

And sorry for my stupid questions here, and hope i didn't exhaust anybodies patience and good will in this thread of mine

Comment

Appreciated

Did watch and still confused, urgh !

IOW, the vid talks only that you cannot anchor the FOREARM to your body.

So what about:

1) having the UPPER ARM anchored to your body ?

2) having both, forearm and upper arm away from your body, but whole left arm is locked in space - is this considered "anchoring" ?

And sorry for my stupid questions here, and hope i didn't exhaust anybodies patience and good will in this thread of mine
                                1) This is fine.

2) No. The principle of anchoring relies on the forearm and/or gripping hand to be purposely held against the body to "lock" them in place.

Think of it this way. Stand on one foot in the middle of the room. Your small and large muscles, and joints have to repeatedly adjust in order for you to maintain your balance and not fall over. Now stand on one foot while leaning against a wall. You now have an anchor point that will allow you to stand on that one foot infinitely longer, and without moving at all.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X