Rules of Golf - Modernization

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rules of Golf - Modernization

Originally posted by BananaSlice View Post
    Speaking of the proposed change to the relief area where a ball can be dropped - 20 inches or 80 inches. Doesn't that complicate things? We all have clubs in our bag that can be used to stake out a club length, but does this proposed change expect us to have tape measures, too? I'm in favour of most of the proposed changes, but this one is a bit odd given that club length seemed fine as it was. I can understand the desire to standardize it as a set length, but I don't think an inch or two difference in the length of a driver carried by most players is really such a big deal in a game that coined the phrase "rub of the green".
    I think that may have been meant to avoid guys pulling out their driver as the "designated club," getting the extra space for the drop, then changing clubs. I believe the suggestion is that players mark one club with piece of tape 20" from one end as a measure. That said, the rules also state that the measurement doesn't have to be exact and that so long as the player did not blatantly violate the distance and direction provisions, there would be no penalty. I think that's meant to reduce the calls to the USGA hotline for those rulies would might like to call in and report a player.

I certainly won't start carrying a measuring tape. My standard "drop, hit, move on" procedure will stand, so you need not worry.
    In the bag:
    R15 12° PXV 6.0
    SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
    Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
    Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey SM5 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

A couple of things not mentioned yet which fill out the picture.

In taking relief from say a cart path, under the current rules you determine the nearest point of relief using the club you would expect to use if the obstruction was not there. Not changed under the 2019 Rules.

Then you measure out between a quarter circle and a semi-circle (depending on the alignment of the path) area one club length in radius using any club in the bag, including a long putter. That defines the area in which you have to drop. In the 2019 code, your radius is limited to twenty inches. I expect most golfers will put a mark on one or more clubs twenty inches from the grip end or do the same with an alignment rod. So no need for a tape measure in the bag. In practical terms this measuring is mostly not needed and only done if the player wants to drop at the limit of what is allowed. Certainly that is the only occasion that I insist that a player measures.

Then you drop the ball from shoulder height and it must first touch a part of the course within the defined area. In the 2019 code, you may drop from any height except for less than one inch above the ground. (without checking this minute, I think it will also be "a" ball)

Today there are seven situations, listed in Rule 20-2c, which mean that the ball must be re-dropped and, when you re-drop and one of those situations happens again, you must place the ball where it first touched a part of the course on the second drop. Otherwise, when none of the situations occurs, the ball can roll out of the defined area and be played from where it came to rest.

In the 2019 code those situations are not listed because now the ball must be played from within the defined area and you must re-drop any number of times until it come to rest there. Thus, it will help a lot that you may drop from as little as one inch above the ground. (O.K. there is an exception for the rare circumstance where it will not stay in the area even when dropped from one inch.)

The twenty inch measurement for free relief instead of one club length is found in several other places in the new code, as is eighty inches instead of two club-lengths for penalty relief.
      Last edited by JGT4; Mar 1, 2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JGT4 View Post
        Wonderful picture on the BBC Sports web site at the head of the column on the rules modernization project. Just look at the putter!!!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/39120332
        Is that Bernhard Langer in the background?

I'm trying to stay away from the anchoring discussion, but if they wanted to simplify the rules they could get rid of that one and its attendant diagrams. Something that needs 8 pictures to clarify is not clear enough to begin with.

As for your post above, I'm starting to think it's a mistake to change the distances to 20 and 80 inches.

Everyone has a club in their bag, no one has a tape measure. Sure, you could mark something on one of your clubs, but why bother? I know if I have to do that, I'll be putting marks at 22 and 86 inches...

And then as others have pointed out, inches have been replace by the metric system in just about every country in the world.
        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
        ...Iggy

Comment

They should have gotten rid of the groove rule while they were at it..
          TM M2 D-type 9.5 Accra CS1 70
          TM Jetspeed tour 19* Accra CS1 80
          TM M2 tour 4-9 Accra ICWT 95
          Callaway X-Forged 48, 52, 58, 64 Pro Modus3 105
          Nike method MC3i

Osprey Valley Century Club
          100 holes - May 2, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
            Is that Bernhard Langer in the background?

I'm trying to stay away from the anchoring discussion, but if they wanted to simplify the rules they could get rid of that one and its attendant diagrams. Something that needs 8 pictures to clarify is not clear enough to begin with.

As for your post above, I'm starting to think it's a mistake to change the distances to 20 and 80 inches.

Everyone has a club in their bag, no one has a tape measure. Sure, you could mark something on one of your clubs, but why bother? I know if I have to do that, I'll be putting marks at 22 and 86 inches...

And then as others have pointed out, inches have been replace by the metric system in just about every country in the world.
            Burma, Liberia and the USA.

Comment

"A new “Maximum Score” form of stroke play, where your score can be capped to a number set by the Committee. In this proposed format you can pick up and move to the next hole when your score "will be at or above the maximum."

Can this be 5? It's the only way the new rules help my game.

Who am I kidding? I still couldn't break 90.

Comment

A new “Maximum Score” form of stroke play, where your score can be capped to a number set by the Committee. In this proposed format you can pick up and move to the next hole when your score "will be at or above the maximum."

Was Kevin "16 Candles" Na consulted on this change? This is a rule change that I can see speed up play. No more double digit scores on the card but if you don't finish out the hole, aren't you disqualified in stroke play. this smacks of the "mercy rule" in slow pitch.

The golf channel showed a demo in Hell Bunker this morning of where the two shot penalty for getting out of the bunker might aid the professional golfer. My wife will be most pleased at this rule change.

Comment

Just remember folks, this is a draft document. There's going to be a lot of feedback to sift through, and likely a number of changes before anything goes in to effect in 2019.
                  When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Comment

Does anyone have any knowledge of why this is being implemented a full year ahead of normal?
                    Might tptb want to have a full year of use with the new rules prior to the next olympics?

Comment

I hope they don't implement the loose impediment bunker rule.

Comment

Originally posted by sikoram View Post
                        A new “Maximum Score” form of stroke play, where your score can be capped to a number set by the Committee. In this proposed format you can pick up and move to the next hole when your score "will be at or above the maximum."

Was Kevin "16 Candles" Na consulted on this change? This is a rule change that I can see speed up play. No more double digit scores on the card but if you don't finish out the hole, aren't you disqualified in stroke play. this smacks of the "mercy rule" in slow pitch.
                        Stableford is a form of stroke play that has been around for many years. In it you can pick up once you can no longer get any points on the hole. Your score for the hole is zero points and no D.Q. is involved. Same thing for Bogey and Par. Take a look at Rule 32. BTW, the handicap systems in the world other than the one controlled by the U.S.G.A. can all process Stableford scores that include a blank on a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
                          Does anyone have any knowledge of why this is being implemented a full year ahead of normal?
                          Might tptb want to have a full year of use with the new rules prior to the next olympics?
                          Don't think the Olympics has anything to do with it. Remember, this project started five years ago and likely had a different target date for implementation back then.

When you get this far with the project, it probably makes little sense to put it on hold until the next four year cycle begins, especially as the 2016 Rule book, unlike previous editions, does not say it is being published for a four year period.

Comment

Originally posted by JGT4 View Post
                            Stableford is a form of stroke play that has been around for many years. In it you can pick up once you can no longer get any points on the hole. Your score for the hole is zero points and no D.Q. is involved. Same thing for Bogey and Par. Take a look at Rule 32. BTW, the handicap systems in the world other than the one controlled by the U.S.G.A. can all process Stableford scores that include a blank on a hole.
                            For some odd reason stableford doesn't seem to be popular in North America.
                            Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                            - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by Pingnut View Post
                              They should have gotten rid of the groove rule while they were at it..
                              There was no intention to review the equipment or amateur status rules .
                              Putting isn't golf, greens should be treated almost the same as water hazards: you land on them, then add two strokes to your score.
                              - Chi Chi Rodriguez

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post
                                For some odd reason stableford doesn't seem to be popular in North America.
                                Stableford is very popular in Victoria just because of the pick it up when you cant score rule. Too many seniors out here I guess, me being one of them.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X