Collapse

Injury replacement in a season long knockout match play tournament

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury replacement in a season long knockout match play tournament

Looking for opinions on this. A person was involved in a 2 man scramble, handicapped club tournament with a minor $10 entry fee per player. There were only 10-12 teams involved in the tournament. After the first round, one member of a team who won their match to advance was injured long term. He requested that his partner be allowed to replace him with the thought that the partner shouldn't be penalized for the other partner's injury. Some argued the remaining player should default his next match. After much discussion, the remaining partner was allowed to continue with a new partner whose handicap was less than the person he was replacing. All matches were played with handicaps, some people agreed with the decision, others did not. Some argued that the replacement should not have a lower handicap if a replacement was allowed. Others said because it was a low money event, who cares? Others said because the matches were played with the handicaps factored in, it should not make a difference.

I'm interested in what others think. Thanks.

Last edited by OBBlues; Nov 1, 2022, 12:44 PM.

Originally posted by OBBlues View Post
    Looking for opinions on this. A person was involved in a 2 man, handicapped club tournament with a minor $10 entry fee per player. There were only 10-12 teams involved in the tournament. After the first round, one member of a team who won their match to advance was injured long term. He requested that his partner be allowed to replace him with the thought that the partner shouldn't be penalized for the other partner's injury. Some argued the remaining player should default his next match. After much discussion, the remaining partner was allowed to continue with a new partner whose handicap was less than the person he was replacing. All matches were played with handicaps, some people agreed with the decision, others did not. Some argued that the replacement should not have a lower handicap if a replacement was allowed. Others said because it was a low money event, who cares? Others said because the matches were played with the handicaps factored in, it should not make a difference.

I'm interested in what others think. Thanks.

What was the format? Best-ball, alternate shot, scramble, other?

Comment

This is a point that should have been specified before the event started. We run a single man “presidents cup” style match play event every year, and clearly state that if you are unable to complete your match within 14 days for any reason, you forfeit it. Sounds like it wasn’t pre-stipulated, so you’re now left with a bunch of differing opinions. The easiest and cleanest way to solve this would have been for the remaining teammate to bow out.

If forced to decide as a club captain, that would have been my decision.

Comment

play as a single until eliminated, no need to forfeit the next match regardless of format. no way should you be allowed a new partner though.

most 2 man club events are better-ball so if your partner is hurt or can't make a date work with the other three players, then 'them's the breaks' as they say. The rules really should have been set up ahead of time, even if only a small $10, 12 team event, avoids any debate.

Comment

It was a scramble (now edited, thanks).

Comment

Originally posted by OBBlues View Post

It was a scramble (now edited, thanks).
            If not specified in the conditions of the competition by the Committee in charge, the player can play on his own (as someone else said above).

Comment

For such a minor event, small entry fee, small field, who really cares? Let them have a replacement.

If someone wants a walk-over to the next round, it says a lot about their personality. I personally would rather a competitive, fun match than be awarded a free pass in the "Who Cares" cup with it's $200 prize pool.

Unless it was a clear situation where someone was bringing in a sandbagger as a partner, then I personally wouldn't have any issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Goalpost View Post
                play as a single until eliminated, no need to forfeit the next match regardless of format.
                Well not quite regardless of format. It doesn't work for foursomes.

Comment

I think I saw the same thing play out and know how it was handled in Caddyshack....

I think we have our answer.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny canuck View Post
                    For such a minor event, small entry fee, small field, who really cares? Let them have a replacement.

If someone wants a walk-over to the next round, it says a lot about their personality. I personally would rather a competitive, fun match than be awarded a free pass in the "Who Cares" cup with it's $200 prize pool.

Unless it was a clear situation where someone was bringing in a sandbagger as a partner, then I personally wouldn't have any issue.
                    This is my vote, to the letter.

The correct answer is likely Rulie's

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                    X