A Rules Challenge

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Rules Challenge

Originally posted by Shadow View Post
    Corchard: I have made up a number of "Ricky's" for our local rules discussion group that could keep heads aching for hours.
    I've read one on the OGN forum. I gave up after his ESC kicked in.

Comment

Your tee shot on a par 3 lands 4' from the hole. You mark your ball on the putting green and your fellow competitor asks you to move the marker one club head length to the right, which you do. When it is your turn to putt you replace the ball in front of the marker and putt, lipping out.

Then, your FC asks if you put your marker back and realizing that you did not, you place the ball back on its original location and hole the putt.

Off the top of you head, what is your score for the hole?
      No looking up the answer before responding.

Tee shot-playing from a wrong location 2 strokes-putt holed - 4

Comment

Aha!! A time to learn.

1. When you play from a WRONG PLACE, your ball is IN PLAY. Penalty - 2 strokes.

2. When you picked up your ball after lipping it out, you moved a ball at rest. Penalty - 1 stroke

3. By not replacing a ball moved while at rest, add 1 more penalty stroke ( general penalty of 2 strokes) Decision 20-7c/3

Total:
        -Tee shot
        - 4 penalty strokes
        -Tap in
        Score 6

Note: Because playing from this particular wrong place was NOT a serious breach, that is, no advantage was gained, there is no additional penalty. For a serious breach not corrected before teeing off on the next hole, the player is disqualified.

Corchard: I have made up a number of "Ricky's" for our local rules discussion group that could keep heads aching for hours.
        Interesting. So placing your ball in a wrong place is played and penalized differently than moving your ball.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnguru View Post
          ot

There were 2 putts taken, one from wrong spot that missed and 1 that was made. Why is it not 3 strokes + 4 penalty strokes?
          Because I can't count. Sorry, you are correct. He scored 7.

Original post amended.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
            Interesting. So placing your ball in a wrong place is played and penalized differently than moving your ball.
            In my scenario above, there was no advantage gained by the player when he played from a couple of inches from his original spot. The penalty then was 2 strokes and the ball was in play. With a wrong ball, the penalty is still two strokes, but the player MUST correct his error by finding and playing the original ball.

A player who hits a ball out of bounds or loses a ball, and then drops a ball near where it may be lost or OB, is still playing from a wrong place, (Pen.- 2 strokes) however, because there is a significant distance advantage gained, the breach is serious and if he does not go back and play from the right place, he will be disqualified.

Comment

2. When you picked up your ball after lipping it out, you moved a ball at rest. Penalty - 1 stroke
              I missed that, I had assumed he tapped that one in.
              I like big putts and I cannot lie
              You other putters can't deny
              That when a putt goes in with an itty bitty pace
              You're gonna fist pump in their face - Sir Putts-A-Lot

It's how well you golf fast!!!!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays